Direct way to calculate nth term of cyclically repeating function?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of cyclic functions and whether there is a way to directly calculate the value at each step, rather than having to iterate through all the steps. The idea of using the mod (modulo) function is suggested, but it is later clarified that the context is related to the Mandelbrot generating function and the need for iteration remains.
ktoz
"cyclic functions" may not be the correct term, but I don't know what else to call them. (only have basic high school math training, no calculus) Here's what I'm looking for.

Given the following series of functions

f(a) = b (step 1)
f(b) = c (step 2)
f(c) = d (step 3)
f(n) = a (step n)

Is there a general way to rework these so that you can directly calculate the value at steps 1,2,3 etc rather than having to iterate through all the steps from a to x, something like this?

f(0) = a
f(1) = b
f(2) = c
f(3) = d
f(n) = a

This problem arose from a computer program I'm working on and it would be much more efficient to directly calculate the n'th term rather than having to iterate through them all.

Thanks for any help

Mathematics news on Phys.org
How about using the mod (modulo) function?

Example?

Tide said:
How about using the mod (modulo) function?

Here's a little more background. Using the Mandelbrot generating function Z1 = Z0^2 + c yeilds either:

Escape set - values not in set
Chaotic set - values don't escape but also don't settle into a repeating set of values
Convergent set - values converge to either a single value or a repeating set of values

Convergent values take the form
f(a) = b
f(b) = c
f(c) = d
f(n) = a

With the above in mind, how would I apply your modulo suggestion?

Thanks

Ken

That's a little different than what I thought you were asking in your original post. I'm afraid you're stuck with iterating.

Related to Direct way to calculate nth term of cyclically repeating function?

1. How do you calculate the nth term of a cyclically repeating function?

To calculate the nth term of a cyclically repeating function, you can use the formula: nth term = a + (n - 1)d, where a is the first term and d is the common difference between terms. This formula works for arithmetic, geometric, and other types of cyclically repeating functions.

2. Can the nth term of a cyclically repeating function be negative?

Yes, the nth term of a cyclically repeating function can be negative. This depends on the values of the first term and common difference in the function. For example, in an arithmetic function with a first term of -5 and a common difference of -2, the 5th term would be -13.

3. Is it necessary to know the first term and common difference to calculate the nth term of a cyclically repeating function?

Yes, it is necessary to know the first term and common difference in order to calculate the nth term of a cyclically repeating function. These values are used in the formula mentioned in the first question. Without them, the nth term cannot be accurately calculated.

4. Can the nth term of a cyclically repeating function be a decimal or fraction?

Yes, the nth term of a cyclically repeating function can be a decimal or fraction. This depends on the values of the first term and common difference in the function. For example, in a geometric function with a first term of 0.5 and a common ratio of 2, the 3rd term would be 2.

5. How can the nth term of a cyclically repeating function be applied in real-life situations?

The nth term of a cyclically repeating function can be applied in various real-life situations, such as calculating interest on a loan or investment, determining the growth of a population, or predicting the value of a stock over time. It is a useful tool for analyzing patterns and making predictions in many different fields of study.