Direction of equilibrium if you remove heat from exothermic reaction

In summary, Le Chatelier's principle states that an equilibrium shift will happen due to a change in the system, such as removing heat.
lonely_nucleus
If you remove heat from an exothermic reaction will the equilibrium shift to the products or to the reactants according to le chatelier's principle

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Can you state Le Chatelier's principle?

Borek said:
Can you state Le Chatelier's principle?
With my own words I can state it as a law that predicts the direction of an equilibrium change(to the left means reactants, to the right means products) caused by changes such as pressure, changes, or amount of reactants/products added to the system.

From wiki here is the law "Le Châtelier's principle, also called Chatelier's principle or "The Equilibrium Law", can be used to predict the effect of a change in conditions on a chemical equilibrium"

lonely_nucleus said:
I can state it as a law that predicts the direction of an equilibrium change(to the left means reactants, to the right means products) caused by changes such as pressure, changes, or amount of reactants/products added to the system.

So you have stated what it is, I asked what it says.

Borek said:
So you have stated what it is, I asked what it says.
It says that you can predict the direction of equilibrium due to a change in the system, equilibrium will always want to level out or be balanced. For example if you remove some products from a reaction then the products will be producing less reactants and the equilibrium will shift to the right(product side). My source of information did not go into detail about explaining what it says.

What is you treat heat as a product?

Likes gracy
What do you mean with "removing heat"?
Your question is very vague.
Consider the following example: Freezing of water is an exothermic reaction. At 0 degrees C water and ice are in equilibrium. You can remove heat from the system and more product (ice) will form. However, the equilibrium constant will not change as the concentrations of reactants and products don't change. There is always pure water and pure ice.

Last edited:
Yes, but he wasn't asking about the effect of changing the temperature, was he?

This is similar to a question I have on homework I did not want to say the exact question but if it helps I will becuase I am not sure if my inference is correct.. Here is the actual question

"
Consider the following reaction occurring in a closed chemical system. Assume that this reaction is at equilibrium and that in general the reaction to the right is favored.

CH3CH2OH + 3O2 ---><--- 2CO2 + 3H2O ∆H = –1,235 kJ/mol
If heat is removed from the system, how will the reactions shift to reach equilibrium?"

I believe the equilibrium would shift to the right because if you treat matter as energy and energy is released by the products then removing heat is like removing matter from the products causing the equilibrium to shift to the right. Am I correct?

Poor lad! Who asks such nonsensical questions and what are you supposed to learn from them? Burning ethanole as an example of a reaction reaching equilibrium?

DrDu said:
Poor lad! Who asks such nonsensical questions and what are you supposed to learn from them? Burning ethanole as an example of a reaction reaching equilibrium?
ok?

Ok, so leaving aside the strangeness of the system chosen, there are two different ways to suck heat from this system: either you cool it (at constant pressure) or you compress it (at constant temperature). In the first case your argument is correct. However in the second case, the equilibrium shifts to the left.

Likes lonely_nucleus
The correct answer is the equilibrium would shift to the right. I am not sure if I was thinking correctly to get the solution but it is correct. Thanks for the help friends.

1. What is the direction of equilibrium if heat is removed from an exothermic reaction?

When heat is removed from an exothermic reaction, the equilibrium will shift towards the reactants. This is because the reaction is releasing heat, so removing heat will disrupt the equilibrium and cause the reaction to favor the endothermic reaction in order to regain equilibrium.

2. Will the equilibrium position change if heat is removed from an exothermic reaction?

Yes, the equilibrium position will change if heat is removed from an exothermic reaction. As mentioned before, the equilibrium will shift towards the reactants, resulting in a change in the equilibrium position.

3. How does removing heat affect the rate of an exothermic reaction?

Removing heat from an exothermic reaction will slow down the rate of the reaction. This is because the reaction needs heat in order to proceed, so removing heat will decrease the amount of energy available for the reaction to occur.

4. Can removing heat completely stop an exothermic reaction?

No, removing heat cannot completely stop an exothermic reaction. The reaction may slow down significantly, but it will continue to occur until all of the reactants are consumed or the conditions for the reaction are changed.

5. How does the direction of equilibrium change if heat is added back to an exothermic reaction?

If heat is added back to an exothermic reaction, the equilibrium will shift towards the products. This is because the added heat will provide the necessary energy for the reaction to proceed in the exothermic direction, resulting in a shift towards the products to regain equilibrium.