Direction of force on a voice coil

So, in summary, the direction of force on the voice coil depends on the relative orientation between the current and magnetic field, and is always in the axial direction. In a cylindrical coordinate system, the force is perpendicular to both the current and magnetic field.
Physicslearner500039
TL;DR Summary
Want to find the direction of force on a voice coil due to magnetic field
I want to understand the direction of force on the voice coil, if the conductor is straight line it is easy to find the force direction. In the case of the diagram i shown below, for the curved surfaces i should take tangential to the surface at every point. Am i correct? So for position 1 since ##I## and ##\vec B## are parallel, the force due to Pos1 will be 0. For Pos2 since Current and B are perpendicular the direction is to the right. For Pos3 it is little confusing, it is towards right (not completely). Does the direction of force change if the voice coil is aligned differently? I think it is the relative orientation between ##I## and ##\vec B## that matters?
1600441217639.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
You must think in a cylindrical coordinate system.
The circular current in the coil is everywhere perpendicular to the radial magnetic field. The force is therefore always in the axial direction, that is perpendicular to both the magnetic field and current.

1. What is the direction of force on a voice coil?

The direction of force on a voice coil is dependent on the direction of current flowing through the coil. When current flows through the coil, a magnetic field is created which interacts with the permanent magnet surrounding the coil. This interaction results in a force being exerted on the coil, causing it to move in a specific direction.

2. How does the direction of force on a voice coil affect the movement of a speaker?

The direction of force on a voice coil determines the direction in which the speaker cone will move. This movement is what produces sound waves, so the direction of force is crucial in determining the direction and intensity of the sound produced by the speaker.

3. Can the direction of force on a voice coil be reversed?

Yes, the direction of force on a voice coil can be reversed by changing the direction of current flowing through the coil. This can be done by reversing the polarity of the electrical signal that is being sent to the speaker.

4. How does the direction of force on a voice coil affect the sound quality of a speaker?

The direction of force on a voice coil can affect the sound quality of a speaker in several ways. If the force is not in the correct direction, it can cause distortion in the sound produced. Additionally, if the force is not balanced, it can cause uneven movement of the speaker cone, resulting in an imbalanced sound output.

5. Is the direction of force on a voice coil the same for all types of speakers?

No, the direction of force on a voice coil can vary depending on the type of speaker. For example, in a traditional cone speaker, the force is perpendicular to the plane of the cone. However, in a planar magnetic speaker, the force is parallel to the plane of the speaker's diaphragm. It is important to consider the specific design of a speaker when determining the direction of force on its voice coil.