Winding Direction Consideration (Proper Winding)

In summary, the conversation discusses a person's interest in creating a hand crank generator and their questions about winding directions for the coil. They also mention their goal of using the generator to charge devices and their concerns about the difficulty of attaching it to a bicycle. Other members of the forum offer to help and explain that the winding directions will not have much effect on the generator's performance.
mheruian
Hello,

I'm boy who suddenly been strucked by curiosity on how hand crank generator works and i watch and read some of how to create one, specially this one on youtube:

and i want to create one but i don't have a 3D printer, but i saw some alternative but as i do/design my own coil based on what i watched and read, it came to my mind how many winding works. I understand straight-forward winding from left to right but these where the two things that many videos and tutorials didn't mention about:

1) starting left to right then after reaching end of the core, right to left winding
2) starting left to right then after reaching end of the core, jump to left to wind right again
3) starting left to right but before reaching right, a lot of times doing right to left then left to right then right to left and left to right until reaching end of the core.

- doesn't these effect the direction of magnetic field, etc? any drawbacks or setbacks with these?
also, images below show what I am doing, please help me if this thing would work or not. No one around here could help me with this kind of stuffs personally :sorry:

qJiaA2I.jpg

The coil will be like the toroidals so windings will be upright horizontal in circle.

EQsZmeb.jpg

a7K4qn9.jpg

Above where the questions i want to know
And if the image below can be done using coil winded up vertically instead the toroidal
HyqHhfv.jpg

My setup:

o9NaGCq.jpg

where i will place my toroidal winding (2mm plastic core at the center)

I1bfi7J.jpg

QK4GfkW.jpg

Thanks for those who would help :sorry: I'm not a genius but i want to learn and have fun.

Attachments

• qJiaA2I.jpg
    qJiaA2I.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 548
  • EQsZmeb.jpg
    EQsZmeb.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 539
  • a7K4qn9.jpg
    a7K4qn9.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 586
  • HyqHhfv.jpg
    HyqHhfv.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 526
  • o9NaGCq.jpg
    o9NaGCq.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 582
  • I1bfi7J.jpg
    I1bfi7J.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 551
  • QK4GfkW.jpg
    QK4GfkW.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 545
Engineering news on Phys.org
Great project. There are several members who can help.

First, let me ask. What is your definition of success for your project? Perhaps to light a LED light? Measure a voltage on a voltmeter?

Likes mheruian
anorlunda said:
Great project. There are several members who can help.

First, let me ask. What is your definition of success for your project? Perhaps to light a LED light? Measure a voltage on a voltmeter?

Hi Mr. anorlunda,

Thanks a lot for the reply :woot: to light an LED is great but i want it to be a charger in the future like using the super capacitor, bridge rectifiers and charging circuit (android, iphone, etc. 5v devices). I ordered online neodymium magnets that are 10mm in diameter 4mm in height as well the coils so for now so i can't measure its voltage, i am at designing while waiting for my orders. I want t verify first before the items comes up for me to know what to do as much as possible.

BTW, the DIY on the youtube video is hand grip activated, mine is rotated by a shaft - because i don't have 3D printer and I'm not good at crafting or sculpting such frame and gear work :sorry:

I'm glad I asked because the difficulty goes up rapidly with the amount of power you need.

I like your approach. PF members might also be able to advise you on how to measure the performance of what you have.

How do you plan to rotate the shaft? Perhaps attaching it to a bicycle.

Likes mheruian
anorlunda said:
I'm glad I asked because the difficulty goes up rapidly with the amount of power you need.

I like your approach. PF members might also be able to advise you on how to measure the performance of what you have.

How do you plan to rotate the shaft? Perhaps attaching it to a bicycle.

Thanks again for the response :D Mr. Anorlunda, i really appreciate it.

uhm for now, i just want it hand crank so by hand. For me, attaching it to a bicycle will be very hard. I'm no mechanic tinker yet hehe.

So what do you think about my 3 questions regarding winding directions? do magnetic fields cancel out when coil is winded stacked up a lot of time from left to right and vice versa? :woot: any technical or theoretical means here?

mheruian said:
these where the two things that many videos and tutorials didn't mention about:

1) starting left to right then after reaching end of the core, right to left winding
2) starting left to right then after reaching end of the core, jump to left to wind right again
3) starting left to right but before reaching right, a lot of times doing right to left then left to right then right to left and left to right until reaching end of the core.

- doesn't these effect the direction of magnetic field, etc? any drawbacks or setbacks with these?

No. Those won't have much effect. You could wind the coil random or layered and it won't change things very much at all.
What IS important is that when you view your coil from one end all your turns go the same way, either clockwise or counterclockwise.The first thing to remember is Faraday's Law. It states that voltage will be induced in a conductor(wire) that encircles a changing flux.
That's why in your video they wound their coil on a form and placed a bolt through its center.
Flux leaves the magnet, goes through the center of the coil and returns around its outside back to the magnet.

handcrank_ flashlight.jpg

Since the turns of the coil encircle magnetic flux that changes direction as each magnet passes by they will experience induction, that is they will produce voltage when the wheel turns.

Now if you surround your wheel instead with a toroid there's not really any flux flowing around its middle so you will get voltage only by accident.

So adjust your thinking to visualize first where the magnetic flux goes, then how to make your turns surround it.

I'd suggest you buy one and take it apart to see how it works. Google's first hit for me:
https://www.emergencykits.com/emerg.../led-flashlights/hand-squeeze-led-flashlight/

old jim

Attachments

• handcrank_ flashlight.jpg
    handcrank_ flashlight.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 453
Likes Asymptotic, berkeman and Tom.G

What is winding direction consideration?

Winding direction consideration refers to the process of determining the direction in which a material should be wound onto a core or spool. This consideration is important in order to ensure proper functionality and efficiency of the wound material.

Why is winding direction consideration important?

The direction in which a material is wound can affect its properties, such as strength, elasticity, and durability. Improper winding direction can also cause issues with unwinding and result in material waste. Therefore, it is important to consider the winding direction to ensure the desired outcome.

How do I determine the proper winding direction?

The proper winding direction depends on the specific material and its intended use. In general, the material should be wound in the direction that will result in a tight and even wind, without causing any twisting or tangling. Consulting with experts or conducting tests can help determine the best winding direction for a specific material.

What factors should be considered when determining the winding direction?

The type of material, its properties, the winding equipment being used, and the intended use of the wound material are all important factors to consider when determining the winding direction. Other factors such as the desired tension, speed, and direction of unwinding should also be taken into account.

Are there any tools or techniques that can assist with winding direction consideration?

Yes, there are various tools and techniques that can help determine the proper winding direction. Examples include using tension sensors, conducting trial runs, and utilizing computer simulations. Consulting with experts in the field can also provide valuable insights and recommendations.