Direction of Magnetic Force

In summary: Therefore, they will experience 0 force.In summary, The right-hand rule is used to find the direction of the magnetic force by pointing the uncurled fingers of the right hand in the direction of the current, curling them in the direction of the magnetic field, and then using the thumb to indicate the direction of the force. If the current and magnetic field are in the same direction, the force will be 0. Algebraically, the force can be calculated using the formula \vec{F} = q\vec{v} \times \vec{B} where \vec{v} is the direction vector of the current and \vec{B} is the direction vector of the magnetic field.
LaneRendell

Homework Statement

lvcRBWH.png

Homework Equations

The Right-Hand Rule

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having some issues with the right-hand rule to find the direction of magnetic force, and I'm doing a homework problem.
The answers I got are (letters are vector directions):

A: -j
B: i
C: j
D: i
E:-i
F:-i

Am I doing this right? If not could someone explain a good way to do the right hand rule or where I'm making the mistake. As I understand it, you point your uncurled palm in the direction of the current and then curl your fingers in the direction of the magnetic field.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Actually, all your fingers except the thumb must point in the direction of the current and then you curl them in the direction of the magnetic field. The thumb will indicate the direction of the force once your fingers are curled. If you are already pointing in the direction of the magnetic field and have no need to curl your fingers, then the force and direction are 0. In segment C, your fingers point to the magnetic field direction (z), therefore you got that one wrong, the answer is [itex]\vec{0}[/itex]. Verify segment D and segment F. The rest are okay.

I can help you to verify algebraically. Maybe someone with more experience can help with the right hand rule since I too have a little trouble with it. Algebraically we can check that at segments: C, D, and F; you got it wrong. The rest are correct (A, B, E). Here is an explanation, but you can skip to the verification examples I wrote if you find the explanation too verbose and learn better by looking at examples.

We know that: [itex]\vec{F} = q\vec{v} \times \vec{B}[/itex]

For the purpose of this exercise we ignore q.
We will take [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] to mean the direction vector of our current. Since we are working in a unit cube we will always assume the magnitude of [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] to be 1.
[itex]\vec{B} = (0i + 0j + 1k)[/itex], the direction vector of our magnetic field in this specific exercise.

Now before I give you examples of verification, we note that since we have a cross product of the direction of the current and the direction of the magnetic field, any current moving in the same direction as the magnetic field will experience 0 force. Or mathematically speaking: [itex]\left | \vec{F}\right | = q\left |\vec{v}\right | \left | sin(\theta) \right | \left | \vec{B}\right |[/itex]

If you look at that, when the current moves in the same direction as the magnetic field, [itex]\theta = 0[/itex], which makes the whole equation 0.

Verification Examples:
I will make examples of verification for A, B, and C so you can get the hang of it:

[itex]\vec{F_{A}} = (1i + 0j + 0k) \times (0i + 0j + 1k)[/itex]

[itex]
\begin{vmatrix}
i & j & k \\
1 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 &1
\end{vmatrix}
=
\begin{vmatrix}
0 & 0 \\
0 &1
\end{vmatrix}i -
\begin{vmatrix}
1 & 0\\
0 &1
\end{vmatrix}j +
\begin{vmatrix}
1 & 0\\
0 &0
\end{vmatrix}k
[/itex]

[itex]= (0*1 - 0*0)i - (1*1 - 0*0)j + (1*0 - 0*0)k[/itex]
[itex]= 0i - 1j + 0k[/itex]
[itex]\vec{F_{A}} = -j[/itex]

[itex]\vec{F_{B}} = (0i + 1j - 1k) \times (0i + 0j + 1k)[/itex]

[itex]
\begin{vmatrix}
i & j & k \\
0 & 1 & -1 \\
0 & 0 &1
\end{vmatrix}
=
\begin{vmatrix}
1 & -1 \\
0 &1
\end{vmatrix}i -
\begin{vmatrix}
0 & -1\\
0 &1
\end{vmatrix}j +
\begin{vmatrix}
0 & 1\\
0 &0
\end{vmatrix}k
[/itex]

[itex]=(1 * 1 - -1*0)i - (0*1 - -1*0)j + (0*0 - 1*0)k[/itex]
[itex]= 1i - 0j + 0k[/itex]
[itex]\vec{F_{B}} = i[/itex]

[itex]\vec{F_{C}} = (0i + 0j + 1k) \times (0i + 0j + 1k)[/itex]

[itex]
\begin{vmatrix}
i & j & k \\
0 & 0 & 1 \\
0 & 0 &1
\end{vmatrix}
=
\begin{vmatrix}
0 & 1 \\
0 &1
\end{vmatrix}i -
\begin{vmatrix}
0 & 1\\
0 &1
\end{vmatrix}j +
\begin{vmatrix}
0 & 0\\
0 &0
\end{vmatrix}k
[/itex]

[itex]=(0*1 -1*0)i - (0*1 -1*0)j + (0*0 - 0*0)k[/itex]
[itex]= 0i -0j + 0k[/itex]
[itex]\vec{F_{C}} = \vec{0}[/itex]

As you will expect, [itex]\vec{F_{C}} = \vec{F_{F}} = \vec{0}[/itex], because both of currents in those segments move in the same direction as the magnetic field.

Last edited:

1. What is the direction of magnetic force?

The direction of magnetic force is the direction in which a magnetic field acts on a charged particle or magnet. This direction is perpendicular to both the direction of the magnetic field and the direction of motion of the charged particle or magnet.

2. How is the direction of magnetic force determined?

The direction of magnetic force is determined using the right-hand rule. This rule states that if you point your thumb in the direction of the velocity of a charged particle or the direction of the current in a wire, and your fingers in the direction of the magnetic field, then the direction in which your palm is facing is the direction of the magnetic force.

3. Does the direction of magnetic force change?

Yes, the direction of magnetic force can change depending on the direction of the magnetic field and the direction of motion of the charged particle or magnet. It is always perpendicular to both of these directions.

4. Can the direction of magnetic force be reversed?

Yes, the direction of magnetic force can be reversed by reversing either the direction of the magnetic field or the direction of motion of the charged particle or magnet. This means that it is possible for the force to act in the opposite direction.

5. How does the direction of magnetic force affect the motion of a charged particle?

The direction of magnetic force can affect the motion of a charged particle by either pushing or pulling it in a direction perpendicular to both the magnetic field and its motion. This force can cause the particle to change direction or speed up, depending on the direction of the force.