Direction of the Maxwell stress tensor

In summary, the question is asking to show that the pressure tensor of a plane electromagnetic wave in vacuum only has a contribution along the direction of motion, and this contribution is equal in magnitude to the energy density. This can be proven by choosing 3 orthogonal axes along the direction of motion, the electric vector, and the magnetic vector, and using the equations σij = ε0(EiEj -0.5\deltaijE2) + \frac{1}{μ0} (BiBj-0.5\deltaijB2) and \frac{1}{2}\varepsilon_0E^2+\frac{1}{2}\mu_0B^2.
aftershock

Homework Statement

Show that in vacuum the pressure tensor of a (complex) plane electromagnetic wave only has a contribution for both directions in this bivector being
along the direction of motion, and that contribution is equal in magnitude to
the energy density. HINT: Choose 3 orthogonal axes along the direction of
motion, the electric vector, and the magnetic vector.

Homework Equations

σij = ε0(EiEj -0.5[itex]\delta[/itex]ijE2) + [itex]\frac{1}{μ0}[/itex] (BiBj-0.5[itex]\delta[/itex]ijB2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not entirely sure what this question is asking. Is it saying that the tensor only acts along the direction of motion of the EM wave?

If so the only place I can think to begin is that when i=j the delta term is simply 1 and when they're not equal the term is 0. I'm not sure I can even use that without first showing why that happens though.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know that the energy density of an EM wave is given by \frac{1}{2}\varepsilon_0E^2+\frac{1}{2}\mu_0B^2 and if I let the 3 axes be along the direction of motion, the electric vector and the magnetic vector then the term \deltaijE2 would equal 1 for i=j and 0 otherwise. Does that help to prove what this question is asking?

Related to Direction of the Maxwell stress tensor

1. What is the Maxwell stress tensor?

The Maxwell stress tensor is a mathematical concept used in electromagnetism to describe the distribution of forces on a charged particle due to an electromagnetic field. It is a 4x4 matrix that contains information about the electric and magnetic fields at a specific point in space.

2. How is the Maxwell stress tensor calculated?

The Maxwell stress tensor is calculated using the equations of electromagnetism, specifically the electric and magnetic field equations (Gauss's law and Ampere's law). It takes into account the direction and magnitude of the electric and magnetic fields at a specific point in space to determine the forces acting on a charged particle.

3. What is the physical significance of the Maxwell stress tensor?

The Maxwell stress tensor is important because it helps us understand the forces acting on charged particles in an electromagnetic field. It allows us to predict the movement of charged particles and understand the behavior of electromagnetic radiation.

4. How does the Maxwell stress tensor relate to energy?

The Maxwell stress tensor is directly related to the energy density of an electromagnetic field. By calculating the components of the tensor, we can determine the amount of energy stored in an electromagnetic field at a specific point in space.

5. What is the role of the Maxwell stress tensor in electrodynamics?

The Maxwell stress tensor plays a crucial role in electrodynamics as it helps us understand the interactions between electric and magnetic fields and how they affect charged particles. It is also used in the development of important theories and equations in electromagnetism, such as Maxwell's equations and the Lorentz force law.