Direction of vector acceleration in circular motion

In summary, there is a problem in my Physics textbook which says:-A car runs counter-clockwise in a circular lane of 1 km of diameter, going through the south extreme at 60 km/h on the instant t = 0.-From that point onwards, the driver accelerates the car uniformely, reaching 240 km/h in 10 seconds.-Determine the vector average acceleration between t = 0 and t = 10s.-The Attempt at a Solution:-So what we know is that:-Diameter of the circunference: 1km;-Radius of the circunference: \frac{D}{2} = 500m;
Bunny-chan
There is a problem in my Physics textbook which says:

Homework Statement

"A car runs counter-clockwise in a circular lane of [itex]1 km[/itex] of diameter, going through the south extreme at [itex]60 km/h[/itex] on the instant [itex]t = 0[/itex]. From that point onwards, the driver accelerates the car uniformely, reaching [itex]240 km/h[/itex] in [itex]10[/itex] seconds.

Determine the vector average acceleration between [itex]t = 0[/itex] and [itex]t = 10s[/itex]"

P.S: Sorry for any typos, I had to translate it from a textbook written in Portuguese and I'm not too familiar with english technical language yet. Anyways...

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
So what we know:
Diameter of the circunference: [itex]1km[/itex];
Radius of the circunference: [itex]\frac{D}{2} = 500m[/itex];
Initial position: [itex]0[/itex];
Initial velocity: [itex]60km/h[/itex] or [itex]16.7m/s[/itex];
Velocity after [itex]10s[/itex]: [itex]240km/h[/itex] or [itex]66.7m/s[/itex];
Acceleration in the interval: [tex]\vec a = \frac{\Delta \vec{V}}{\Delta t} = \frac{66.7-16.7}{10-0} = \frac{50}{10} = 5m/s^2 [/tex]Total displacement: [tex]S = S_0 + \vec{V_0}t + \frac{at^2}{2} \Rightarrow S = 0 + 16.7 \times 10 + \frac{5 \times 10^2}{2} = 167 + 250 = 417m[/tex]Now, vectors contain sense, magnitude and direction, so, as it is a circular motion problem, we should find out the angle of the arc inscribed by the displacement:[tex]\theta = \frac{360^\circ}{2\pi r} \times 417 \Rightarrow \theta = \frac{360^\circ}{2\pi \times 500} \times 417 = \frac{360^\circ}{1000 \pi} \times 417 \simeq 47.8^\circ[/tex]Now, I'm not really sure what to do next, but I've tried Law of Cosines:[tex]\vec{V_r}^2 = \vec{V_1}^2 + \vec {V_2}^2 - 2 \vec{V_1} \vec{V_2} \times \cos A \Rightarrow \vec{V_r}^2 = 16.7^2 + 66.7^2 - 2 \times 16.7 \times 66.7 \times \cos 47.8 = 278.89 + 4448.89 - 1496.4 = 3231.38 \Rightarrow \vec{V_r} = \sqrt{3231.38} \simeq 56.8m/s[/tex]Continuing:[tex]\vec{a_avg} = \frac{\Delta \vec{V}}{\Delta t} = \frac{56.8}{10} = 5.68m/s^2[/tex]OK. So that matches the answer in my textbook, in regards to the magnitude. But the problem is that my answer says nothing about the direction and the sense of the vector, which should be [itex]60.3 ^\circ[/itex] north from direction east, according to my textbook.

And now I have no idea about what to do to be able to calculate that. My understanding of the circular motion is still quite blurry, and I have some other questions too:

1) How was I able to solve this problem using a linear movement formula for displacement and acceleration? Why didn't I need to use the angular formulas and all of that?

2) I couldn't grasp what velocity and acceleration meant in this problem. Were they both tangencial? Was acceleration centripetal...?

I've invested some time writing this so if someone could help me I'd be really grateful. I have nobody else to ask. x_x

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bunny-chan said:
1) How was I able to solve this problem using a linear movement formula for displacement and acceleration? Why didn't I need to use the angular formulas and all of that?
You could have used angular formulas, if you wanted to. But you were given the tangential velocities, so it makes sense to use the linear motion formulas to calculate the displacement along the path and thus the arc traveled.

Bunny-chan said:
2) I couldn't grasp what velocity and acceleration meant in this problem. Were they both tangencial? Was acceleration centripetal...?
To answer the problem, use the basic definition of acceleration: The change in the velocity over time. What is the initial velocity? (Magnitude and direction!) What is the final velocity? (Magnitude and direction.) Find the change in velocity by subtracting those velocity vectors. (That way you'll get the magnitude and direction of the average acceleration.

In this problem, the acceleration has both a centripetal and a tangential component. (If it moved with constant speed, the acceleration would be purely centripetal.)

Likes Bunny-chan
Doc Al said:
You could have used angular formulas, if you wanted to. But you were given the tangential velocities, so it makes sense to use the linear motion formulas to calculate the displacement along the path and thus the arc traveled.To answer the problem, use the basic definition of acceleration: The change in the velocity over time. What is the initial velocity? (Magnitude and direction!) What is the final velocity? (Magnitude and direction.) Find the change in velocity by subtracting those velocity vectors. (That way you'll get the magnitude and direction of the average acceleration.

In this problem, the acceleration has both a centripetal and a tangential component. (If it moved with constant speed, the acceleration would be purely centripetal.)
Thank you for the input. I'm able to grasp that better now.

As for the other part, I was already able to find the magnitude [itex](5.68m/s^2)[/itex], I just can't figure out a way to find the direction as it is given in the textbook ([itex]60.3^\circ[/itex] north from east).

Bunny-chan said:
As for the other part, I was already able to find the magnitude [itex](5.68m/s^2)[/itex], I just can't figure out a way to find the direction as it is given in the textbook ([itex]60.3^\circ[/itex] degrees north from east).
You will find both magnitude and direction by subtracting the two velocity vectors. ##\vec{a}_{ave} = \Delta \vec{v}/\Delta t##.

Are you familiar with vector subtraction?

Likes Bunny-chan
Doc Al said:
You will find both magnitude and direction by subtracting the two velocity vectors. ##\vec{a}_{ave} = \Delta \vec{v}/\Delta t##.

Are you familiar with vector subtraction?
By definition, I know it is the same as addition by the opposite of the other vector. Is there anything else on that? D:

Bunny-chan said:
By definition, I know it is the same as the sum by the opposite of the other vector. Is there anything else on that? D:
That's all there is to it. I suggest you draw yourself a diagram of those vectors being subtracted. (Then you'll understand how you were able to find the magnitude using the law of cosines.)

Another approach is to subtract the components of the initial and final velocities. That works too.

Likes Bunny-chan
Doc Al said:
That's all there is to it. I suggest you draw yourself a diagram of those vectors being subtracted. (Then you'll understand how you were able to find the magnitude using the law of cosines.)

Another approach is to subtract the components of the initial and final velocities. That works too.
Yes, I'm trying to make a diagram. As you said, the velocities are tangential, so they should be tangent to the circunference along the south (since it is where the motion started). Is that right?

Bunny-chan said:
Yes, I'm trying to make a diagram. As you said, the velocities are tangential, so they should be tangent to the circunference along the south (since it is where the motion started). Is that right?
Both velocities are tangential to the circular path. If you use x&y to represent east & north, then the initial velocity is purely in the x-direction. The final velocity is at some angle (which you figured out) with respect to the x-axis.

Likes Bunny-chan
Doc Al said:
Both velocities are tangential to the circular path. If you use x&y to represent east & north, then the initial velocity is purely in the x-direction. The final velocity is at some angle (which you figured out) with respect to the x-axis.
After a few attempts, I seem to be lost. x_x

I can't apply the pythagorean theorem, and I've already used law of cosines, so how should I do that vector sum?

Please tell me the magnitude and direction of both vectors.

Then find the components and subtract.

Likes Bunny-chan
Doc Al said:
Please tell me the magnitude and direction of both vectors.

Then find the components and subtract.
OK. So I think the magnitudes and directions were [itex]16.7[/itex] to the east and [itex]66.7[/itex], [itex]47.8^\circ[/itex] to the northeast.

So their components ended up being <16.7, 0> and <44.8, 49.4>. Subtracting them I get <28.1, 49.4>.

Oh my god. I did it! Thank you very much!
That was so dumb of me, hahaha.

Last edited:
Perfect!

Now find the magnitude and angle of that vector.

Likes Bunny-chan
Doc Al said:
Perfect! Now find the angle of that vector.
Yes! I already did that the moment I saw the triangle. :33

:smile:

Likes Bunny-chan

What is the direction of vector acceleration in circular motion?

The direction of vector acceleration in circular motion is always towards the center of the circle. This is known as the centripetal acceleration.

How is the direction of vector acceleration related to the velocity in circular motion?

The direction of vector acceleration is always perpendicular to the velocity in circular motion. This means that as the velocity changes, the direction of acceleration also changes to remain perpendicular.

What is the difference between tangential acceleration and centripetal acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is the component of acceleration that is parallel to the velocity, while centripetal acceleration is the component that is perpendicular to the velocity. Tangential acceleration causes a change in speed, while centripetal acceleration causes a change in direction.

Can the direction of vector acceleration ever be in the same direction as the velocity in circular motion?

No, the direction of vector acceleration can never be in the same direction as the velocity in circular motion. This is because if the two were in the same direction, the object would continue in a straight line, rather than following a circular path.

How does the magnitude of the velocity affect the direction of vector acceleration in circular motion?

The magnitude of the velocity does not affect the direction of vector acceleration in circular motion. The direction is solely determined by the object's position on the circular path and the direction of motion at that point.