Directional actuator control circuit

In summary, the conversation is about powering and controlling a linear actuator that is considered heavy duty. The individual is considering using an existing control driver or building the circuitry with various components. They want to use attractive control buttons with LED lights. The chosen linear actuator is rated to push 2000N force at a speed of 65mm/s and can draw up to 16A current at maximum load. The individual is leaning towards using a 12V actuator for availability and cost reasons. The circuit diagram for the controls involves high power sources connected to double pole relays controlled by the LED buttons. There are concerns about what happens if both buttons are pressed at the same time, the presence of limit switches on the actuator
I'll email the manufacturer and tell you guys what's the set up with this one. If the actuator does have an in built surge flyback mechanism due to limit switches with diodes built in would that mean that I don't need to protect the circuit from this anymore?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The diodes in the linear actuator are there for current steering to be able to reverse the motor when one limit switch had been opened. They do nothing for suppression of the flyback pulse.
-
I don't really know what you have to protect anyway. If you simply use a rocker switch or pair of individual switches, it's unlikely any damage will occur.

Thanks for clearing that up

Likes Averagesupernova
I never saw a good description of the actual application. For example, it sounds like it handles a considerable load, and must have some safety features and perhaps a remote control. But I don't recall reading how large it might be. If we're working on the order of 1 meter or more and, say, a 100kg load, the first thing that comes to mind would be a garage-door opener. They've solved most of the problems that were posed here.