Directional derivatives vs Partial derivatives

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between partial and directional derivatives. It is confirmed that partial derivatives are special cases of directional derivatives and if a function has directional derivatives, it will also have partial derivatives. However, the opposite is not always true. It is also noted that there can be functions that have directional derivatives in some directions but not in others. The conversation also discusses the nomenclature of "directional derivatives" and the possibility of a function having directional derivatives in all directions.
Amaelle
Homework Statement
The difference between partial and directional derivatives
Relevant Equations
directional derivatives
Good day
I just want to confirm if a function f(x,y) who has directional derivatives has automatically partial derivatives (even though the function itself is not necessarly differentiable)? Can we consider that partial derivatives are special cases of directional derivatives?
Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The definitions of the directional derivative and of the partial derivative can be put in the "Relevant Equations" section.
You should look at the definition of the directional derivative and see if there are certain directions that would give the partial derivatives.

• Love
Likes Amaelle
Amaelle said:
Homework Statement:: The difference between partial and directional derivatives
Relevant Equations:: directional derivatives

Can we consider that partial derivatives are special cases of directional derivatives?
Yes, they are the directional derivatives in the directions of the "coordinates " (i.e. the parameters).

• Love
Likes Amaelle
If I remember correctly, I would say yes, that partial derivatives are special cases of directional derivatives (at least if the directional derivatives are defined with respect to vectors with norm 1).
Therefore if any directional derivative is defined for a function, the partial derivatives will be defined as well. But that doesn't mean that you can't find a function with directional derivatives for some directions, that don't have partial derivatives.
Therefore I would say that the implication is just the other way: If a function has partial derivatives, it will have directional derivatives (since partial derivatives are directional derivatives). But not the opposite, that is what you said.

• Love
Likes Amaelle
Amaelle said:
Homework Statement:: The difference between partial and directional derivatives
Relevant Equations:: directional derivatives

Good day
I just want to confirm if a function f(x,y) who has directional derivatives has automatically partial derivatives (even though the function itself is not necessarly differentiable)? Can we consider that partial derivatives are special cases of directional derivatives?
Thank you in advance!
Yes. A derivative is always a directional derivative, which includes partial derivatives. Constructions like gradient, Jacobi matrices, or total derivatives are only collections of various directional derivatives, e.g. in form of a linear combination of partial derivatives.

Have a read: https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/the-pantheon-of-derivatives-i/

• Love
Likes Amaelle
thank you very much
I just have another question
when a function admits directional derivatives, it means it admit it for all directions or maybe be there might exist function that admits directional derivatives in some directions but not in other directions?
thank you!

If I remember correctly (I studied many years ago) there should be no problem to find a function that has directional derivative for some directions, but not for others.
If then such a function is said to have "directional derivatives" is something I'm not sure about. But it's just a nomenclature issue...

Likes FactChecker
Amaelle said:
thank you very much
I just have another question
when a function admits directional derivatives, it means it admit it for all directions
This is usually meant if no specific direction is named. In such cases, it is an all quantifier.
Amaelle said:
or maybe be there might exist function that admits directional derivatives in some directions but not in other directions?
thank you!
There are such functions, e.g. if you imagine a curved three-dimensional ##\mathcal{V}##. But we cannot say that such a function is directional differentiable because it is not in all directions. The link above contains some examples.

1. What is the difference between directional derivatives and partial derivatives?

Directional derivatives and partial derivatives are both types of derivatives used in multivariable calculus. The main difference between them is that directional derivatives measure the rate of change of a function in a specific direction, while partial derivatives measure the rate of change of a function with respect to a specific variable.

2. When should I use a directional derivative instead of a partial derivative?

Directional derivatives are useful when you want to measure the rate of change of a function in a specific direction, such as the direction of a vector. On the other hand, partial derivatives are useful when you want to measure the rate of change of a function with respect to a specific variable, holding all other variables constant.

3. Can you give an example of when directional derivatives are used in real life?

One example of using directional derivatives in real life is in physics, specifically in the field of fluid mechanics. The directional derivative can be used to calculate the velocity of a fluid in a specific direction, which is important in understanding fluid flow and designing efficient systems.

4. Are there any similarities between directional derivatives and partial derivatives?

Yes, both directional derivatives and partial derivatives are types of derivatives and are used to measure the rate of change of a function. They both involve taking the limit of a difference quotient as the change in the independent variable approaches zero.

5. How do I calculate a directional derivative?

To calculate a directional derivative, you first need to find the gradient of the function at the given point. Then, you need to take the dot product of the gradient vector and the unit vector in the direction you want to measure the derivative. This will give you the value of the directional derivative at that point.