Many rejections - Not knowing why

• Engineering
  • Thread starter ProbablyNotMe
  • Start date
In summary: position?" "describe a problem that you solved using your expertise." "can you walk me through one of your codes?" "can you tell me about a project you were involved with?" "can you tell me about a time when you had to manage a team?" "can you tell me about a time when you had to learn something quickly?" "can you tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer?" "can you tell me about a time when you had to lead or contribute to a project?" "can you tell me about a time when you had to work on a deadline?" "tell me about a time when you had to do something you didn't enjoy?" "tell me about a time when you had
ProbablyNotMe
I have a PhD in ECE, and since 2018 I applied to 100s of positions in my field, and all my applications were rejected from the onset, except for a handful of phone interviews, and one technical interview when I skipped the phone interview, after which my applications were also rejected. I don't know why this is happening and what I am doing wrong. I tailor my resume and write cover letters to most positions I apply for. How can I get a feedback about why my applications are not being considered? I worked in the academia for a couple of years before, but is this a strong reason not to consider my applications in the industry, for example? Now I have gap in my resume and things are getting harder and harder for recruiters to notice my resume.

Likes ohwilleke and Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
If you know anyone in the industry, they are often given bonuses for finding good applicants. Someone who already knows you is a great leed in.

Likes ohwilleke
I don't have a PhD.

Would it be okay if you said which field or concentration? There can be so many reasons it might not be just you although I think that's a good place to start. If you're getting to the phone screening or interview part then usually I get a vibe as to where things felt right or wrong during the interview. What kind of questions are they asking you and how do you feel about it?

Likes ohwilleke and russ_watters
ProbablyNotMe said:
applied to 100s of positions in my field, and all my applications were rejected from the onset, except for a handful of phone interviews, and one technical interview when I skipped the phone interview, after which my applications were also rejected.
Does one ask for feedback, even though it seems to be negative?

How would one's research (PhD topic and publications) and experience help a company solve a problem or contribute to their products or processes?

It would help if you know someone in the companies to which one is applying.

When I interviewed for my first job in industry, I talked about my research, which was relevant to work in which the company was involved. I could also talk about the market, i.e., their customers and potential customers. It also helped that the company was desperate to hire someone who knew a particular computer code, and I just happened to be one of the few graduate students (from the only program) in the country who had experience with the code. I got a job offer the morning after my interview. Otherwise, the subsequent times I've changed jobs, I was recruited based on my experience and reputation.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Paul Colby said:
If you know anyone in the industry, they are often given bonuses for finding good applicants. Someone who already knows you is a great leed in.
I know a couple of people who studied with me during my PhD, and they referred me to their companies. I got a couple of phone interviews because of them, but my applications were rejected immediately after the phone interview (the technical interview I got was a direct online application via the company's website). Their subsequent referrals was basically ignored and my applications were rejected from the onset. I reached to my PhD supervisor multiple times, but he doesn't seem interested in helping me. He tells me not to give up and keep applying. I know I need some connections, but my connections are limited. I tried to connect with people on LinkedIn, and although they usually accept my invitation to connect, they are less eager to respond to my messages asking for their experience in transition to the industry and if they have any advice for me. I understand that I am just a random person to them. I feel myself invisible to companies. What else can I do?

Joshy said:
I don't have a PhD.

Would it be okay if you said which field or concentration? There can be so many reasons it might not be just you although I think that's a good place to start. If you're getting to the phone screening or interview part then usually I get a vibe as to where things felt right or wrong during the interview. What kind of questions are they asking you and how do you feel about it?
My specialty can broadly be categorized as digital signal processing.

The number of phone interviews are very few relative to the number of applications to start with. I would say from each 150-200 applications I got one phone interview. That makes me wonder there is something fundamentally wrong with my applications/me, but I cannot put my finger on what that might be with the lack of feedback. The interview questions are usually "tell me what you are doing now or about yourself?" "why did you apply for this job/this company?" "what's your salary expectation?" Something like that.

Likes ohwilleke
Astronuc said:
Does one ask for feedback, even though it seems to be negative?

How would one's research (PhD topic and publications) and experience help a company solve a problem or contribute to their products or processes?

It would help if you know someone in the companies to which one is applying.

When I interviewed for my first job in industry, I talked about my research, which was relevant to work in which the company was involved. I could also talk about the market, i.e., their customers and potential customers. It also helped that the company was desperate to hire someone who knew a particular computer code, and I just happened to be one of the few graduate students (from the only program) in the country who had experience with the code. I got a job offer the morning after my interview. Otherwise, the subsequent times I've changed jobs, I was recruited based on my experience and reputation.
My major issue is to land my first job. To break into the industry. With no experience I feel companies don't give my PhD a significant weight. I was told by a recruiter once we don't look for PhD but for experience. I have applied to research positions in the industry in my field of study where I meet most the requirements, but nothing.

ProbablyNotMe said:
With no experience I feel companies don't give my PhD a significant weight.
Well, one's PhD research is some kind of experience. How would that benefit the companies to which you applied?

Again, ask oneself, "How would one's research (PhD topic and publications) and experience help a company solve a problem or contribute to their products or processes?" In other words, what to do you and your research bring to the company?

I often read the literature and contact authors of papers about the research and applications. I once read an article about a utility that had a specific problem, so I called them up, discussed the problem, made some suggestions and developed a nice little project. Later, on a different problem, the same utility invited me to join their team involved in resolving the problem.

Likes russ_watters
ProbablyNotMe said:
My specialty can broadly be categorized as digital signal processing.

The number of phone interviews are very few relative to the number of applications to start with. I would say from each 150-200 applications I got one phone interview.

For comparison I have a bachelors in electrical engineering with about 3 years of full-time work experience and many many many internships + part-time positions during my entire undergraduate career. I'm currently working on a masters degree. I'm not sure if the number changes much for folks with a PhD seeking a DSP role, but 1 call out of 200 ish applications seems about right maybe even on the good side from my perspective.

Astronuc said:
Well, one's PhD research is some kind of experience. How would that benefit the companies to which you applied?

Again, ask oneself, "How would one's research (PhD topic and publications) and experience help a company solve a problem or contribute to their products or processes?" In other words, what to do you and your research bring to the company?

I often read the literature and contact authors of papers about the research and applications. I once read an article about a utility that had a specific problem, so I called them up, discussed the problem, made some suggestions and developed a nice little project. Later, on a different problem, the same utility invited me to join their team involved in resolving the problem.

I do this in my cover letters. Talking about what I worked on during my PhD, and how this can help addressing the problems they are working on. Didn't do much.

Now after 4 years not working in my field, I feel I am in a very bad place to get a position in my field of study, and that's why my applications in the past 2 years got no positive responses. Now I am thinking to change careers to get any decent position to live by as if I hadn't ever finished a PhD, but again I will have no experience in the new field, and the same thing will be repeated again. At my age getting internships I imagine is not easy to gain experience in a totally new field in which I have no professional training like software development, but I am willing to do it to start my career paths.

Last edited:
Joshy said:
For comparison I have a bachelors in electrical engineering with about 3 years of full-time work experience and many many many internships + part-time positions during my entire undergraduate career. I'm currently working on a masters degree. I'm not sure if the number changes much for folks with a PhD seeking a DSP role, but 1 call out of 200 ish applications seems about right maybe even on the good side from my perspective.
I once watched a YouTube video of someone who tried was switching careers to Data Science, and he said he sent 100 applications, got 30 interviews, 3 technical and one offer. I know the fields and places are different, but the discrepancy is huge to get 1 phone interview for every 150-200 applications.

Likes ohwilleke
It's difficult for us to say what it is that's not working. There could be a lot of different factors at play.

For one, in a lot of places in the world, the economy is really suffering. Lots of people have lost jobs due to the pandemic and of course this bumps up the number of applications for any position out there. So the fact that you're having a hard time could have very little to do with you. But of course that's not much comfort.

One thing you might be able to do is go to your school's career and placement services office. Often they will have career and job-search counseling services available to alumni... cover letter workshops, resume critiques, interview skill development and even leads on jobs. Sometime they even have workshops for people who are trying to make the transition from academia into the industrial world. They can at least give you some very specific feedback if there's something obvious that you're missing in your search.

For what it's worth, I've never been a fan of the shotgun approach to job applications.

Choppy said:
It's difficult for us to say what it is that's not working. There could be a lot of different factors at play.

For one, in a lot of places in the world, the economy is really suffering. Lots of people have lost jobs due to the pandemic and of course this bumps up the number of applications for any position out there. So the fact that you're having a hard time could have very little to do with you. But of course that's not much comfort.

One thing you might be able to do is go to your school's career and placement services office. Often they will have career and job-search counseling services available to alumni... cover letter workshops, resume critiques, interview skill development and even leads on jobs. Sometime they even have workshops for people who are trying to make the transition from academia into the industrial world. They can at least give you some very specific feedback if there's something obvious that you're missing in your search.

For what it's worth, I've never been a fan of the shotgun approach to job applications.

I called the career counselling services in my University a couple of years ago (after 3 years of graduation), but they told me they provide services for new graduates only (1 year from graduation).

I am not asking to diagnose my problem here. I am asking what actions I can take to know what's going on, or how to improve my chances.

What do you mean by "shotgun approach"? and what is a better approach?

ProbablyNotMe said:
I know a couple of people who studied with me during my PhD, and they referred me to their companies. I got a couple of phone interviews because of them, but my applications were rejected immediately after the phone interview (the technical interview I got was a direct online application via the company's website). Their subsequent referrals was basically ignored and my applications were rejected from the onset.
<<Emphasis added>>

I don't know whether too much time has passed from these interviews for this to be useful. But you should have contacted your colleagues after the failed interviews to find out what went wrong. That's one of the great advantages of real networking (with people who actually know you, rather than random contacts you look up on the Internet). Your colleagues should be able to get the inside scoop from the people who interviewed you. Over the course of my career, I've served many times as an inside contact to help colleagues interviewing with my companies; and colleagues have served as inside contacts to help me interviewing with their companies.

Last edited:
Likes crudux_cruo and PeroK
ProbablyNotMe said:
I called the career counselling services in my University a couple of years ago (after 3 years of graduation), but they told me they provide services for new graduates only (1 year from graduation).

I am not asking to diagnose my problem here. I am asking what actions I can take to know what's going on, or how to improve my chances.

<<Emphasis added>>

At this point, you do need one-on-one help diagnosing your specific problems. That, though, would involve disclosure of more personal details than would be appropriate on a public forum. I recommend that you enroll in a mentorship program. I personally served as a volunteer mentor in one organization for ~15 yrs. Various professional societies have launched such programs; e.g., the American Physical Society (APS). For your field, I would suggest looking into the IEEE Mentoring Program (https://www.ieee.org/membership/mentoring.html). Some alumni associations (e.g., MIT) have also launched mentorship programs; check with your previous schools. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Likes ohwilleke and PeroK
ProbablyNotMe said:
With no experience I feel companies don't give my PhD a significant weight.
Having a PhD, the companies usually require that they pay you significantly more to start and most places I know are hiring at the bottom of the pay scale.

• Informative
Likes ohwilleke and symbolipoint
ProbablyNotMe said:
The shotgun approach to the job search: applying to hundreds of positions with minimal investment into researching and preparing for each position. It's one end of a spectrum where people just put their name in, submit a generic resume to a position they may or may not be qualified for with minimal to no follow up. The probability of landing any given job using this approach is low, but in theory if it's not zero, you just keep increasing your number of applications until you're successful.

To be clear, I'm not saying that you're necessarily doing this. But whenever I read about people submitting hundreds of applications and complaining about minimal feedback, I do start to wonder how much preparation is being put into each application.

At the other end of the spectrum is what I think of as the "sniper approach." Some characteristics of the sniper approach...
  • You do detailed research into the specific industry. You learn the trends, which companies are doing well, which are barely managing to stay afloat. You understand how the companies make money. You learn what the likely changes are coming down the pipe so that you can make as good a prediction as anyone what the next 5 to 10 years are likely to hold in store for the industry.
  • You know what an entry-level position in that industry looks like, what the mandatory qualifications are and what the desirable qualifications are. You're not afraid of a salary negotiation because you know what the salary distribution looks like.
  • You specifically prepare yourself for a position in this industry. You take relevant courses and earn any necessary qualifications that are going to get your resume onto any short-lists. This can require a substantial investment of time and can be particularly tough for someone who has already invested years in an advanced education.
  • You build up a network specific to that industry. You do this through internships, volunteer work, job shadowing, attending conferences, interviewing people who work in the industry, taking on relevant projects, making friends with other people trying to break into the industry, etc. I understand that a lot of this kind of thing is more challenging now with social distancing restrictions in place, but it's not impossible. I know someone in my field who every once in a while hosts an online "social hour" open to anyone in the field, for example.
  • When a position opens up that you're interested in, because of all the preparation work you've done above, you know about it before it's advertised to the general public. You identify the key individuals responsible for the hiring decision. When you apply, you apply both officially through human resources and by submitting your cover letter directly to the manager responsible for the hiring.
  • You know what your competition looks like and you can readily identify any traits you have that make you stand out as an ideal candidate.
  • You follow up. If you're not successful for the position, you solicit critical, constructive criticism. At minimum, you use that contact as another node in your industry network. You build bridges.

Likes ChemAir, ohwilleke, russ_watters and 1 other person
ProbablyNotMe said:
If we don't diagnose what is going wrong, how can we give advice on how to improve things?

Choppy said:
The shotgun approach to the job search: applying to hundreds of positions with minimal investment into researching and preparing for each position. It's one end of a spectrum where people just put their name in, submit a generic resume to a position they may or may not be qualified for with minimal to no follow up. The probability of landing any given job using this approach is low, but in theory if it's not zero, you just keep increasing your number of applications until you're successful.

To be clear, I'm not saying that you're necessarily doing this. But whenever I read about people submitting hundreds of applications and complaining about minimal feedback, I do start to wonder how much preparation is being put into each application.

At the other end of the spectrum is what I think of as the "sniper approach." Some characteristics of the sniper approach...
  • You do detailed research into the specific industry. You learn the trends, which companies are doing well, which are barely managing to stay afloat. You understand how the companies make money. You learn what the likely changes are coming down the pipe so that you can make as good a prediction as anyone what the next 5 to 10 years are likely to hold in store for the industry.
  • You know what an entry-level position in that industry looks like, what the mandatory qualifications are and what the desirable qualifications are. You're not afraid of a salary negotiation because you know what the salary distribution looks like.
  • You specifically prepare yourself for a position in this industry. You take relevant courses and earn any necessary qualifications that are going to get your resume onto any short-lists. This can require a substantial investment of time and can be particularly tough for someone who has already invested years in an advanced education.
  • You build up a network specific to that industry. You do this through internships, volunteer work, job shadowing, attending conferences, interviewing people who work in the industry, taking on relevant projects, making friends with other people trying to break into the industry, etc. I understand that a lot of this kind of thing is more challenging now with social distancing restrictions in place, but it's not impossible. I know someone in my field who every once in a while hosts an online "social hour" open to anyone in the field, for example.
  • When a position opens up that you're interested in, because of all the preparation work you've done above, you know about it before it's advertised to the general public. You identify the key individuals responsible for the hiring decision. When you apply, you apply both officially through human resources and by submitting your cover letter directly to the manager responsible for the hiring.
  • You know what your competition looks like and you can readily identify any traits you have that make you stand out as an ideal candidate.
  • You follow up. If you're not successful for the position, you solicit critical, constructive criticism. At minimum, you use that contact as another node in your industry network. You build bridges.

These hundred of applications span a period of years. I invest time in preparing for most positions, but to be honest, after spending 2 hours for each application and then being rejected for many applications, I have become less invested in the process, but I still prepare about the position and company. I think I am failing mainly the HR part. The only technical interview I did was after I was initially interviewed by an engineer and skipped the HR. But I still answer the HR's behavioral questions appropriately. I did research on these questions and how to answer them. But for some reason I still seem to fail them. I suspect that my resume doesn't reach the hiring manager for the most part.

CrysPhys said:
<<Emphasis added>>

I don't know whether too much time has passed from these interviews for this to be useful. But you should have contacted your colleagues after the failed interviews to find out what went wrong. That's one of the great advantages of real networking (with people who actually know you, rather than random contacts you look up on the Internet). Your colleagues should be able to get the inside scoop from the people who interviewed you. Over the course of my career, I've served many times as an inside contact to help colleagues interviewing with my companies; and colleagues have served as inside contacts to help me interviewing with their companies.

I thought if they knew anything they would let me know, but now thinking about it I probably should have asked them to ask even if they weren't told by the recruiter or hiring manager. It's been years since the last phone interview I did. Now I think it's too late to investigate.

Dr Transport said:
Having a PhD, the companies usually require that they pay you significantly more to start and most places I know are hiring at the bottom of the pay scale.
Whenever they asked about my salary expectation, I say something at the lower end of the range for the position in the area where I am living. Because I know I will be an entry level. I am not sure if this is the main issue.

ProbablyNotMe said:
Whenever they asked about my salary expectation, I say something at the lower end of the range for the position in the area where I am living. Because I know I will be an entry level. I am not sure if this is the main issue.
You need to be careful about the term "entry level". It typically does not apply to positions for which a PhD (or equivalent degree and experience) is required, since the years spent during your thesis research are counted as experience. Are you applying for the right level jobs? Are you applying for jobs for a fresh PhD? But if you are applying for lower level jobs in your field of expertise (e.g., those that require only a BS with either no experience or a couple of years experience), your applications will typically be tossed because you are over-qualified. Different approaches apply if you are switching fields, however.

Likes ohwilleke
CrysPhys said:
You need to be careful about the term "entry level". It typically does not apply to positions for which a PhD (or equivalent degree and experience) is required, since the years spent during your thesis research are counted as experience. Are you applying for the right level jobs? Are you applying for jobs for a fresh PhD? But if you are applying for lower level jobs in your field of expertise (e.g., those that require only a BS with either no experience or a couple of years experience), your applications will typically be tossed because you are over-qualified. Different approaches apply if you are switching fields, however.

I applied for jobs the didn't require a PhD, but for the most part I have applied to positions that require at least a master, and a PhD is preferred.

I avoid positions like staff or senior engineer, otherwise I apply. Two years ago I applied for an internship in a major telecom company as a researcher to work on 5G technologies which required a PhD (my PhD thesis was in the same context), and although they interviewed me with an engineer for about an hour, and I subjectively felt I did well by answering the technical questions, they rejected my application afterwards. When I asked the recruiter for a feedback, I was told my background is impressive (ironically usually said along with many rejection letters :wideeyed:), but they felt I was overqualified (this should have been obvious before the interview, though! )

Which confuses me. I am overqualified for internships, and not qualified for full- or part-time positions because I don't have "practical experience".

Likes PeroK
You could probably apply for senior or staff.

Is aerospace & defense something you might be open to? I'm not sure if it's common at all aerospace & defense companies, but the ones I worked at credentials were highly valued. I saw multiple PhD applicants get hired directly to senior or staff roles with little to no work experience.

I also noticed you mentioning switching fields. I felt like my work in each of the aerospace companies was much more broad than the current company I'm with. I got to try so many different things while I was in aerospace. They also work with really high frequency and value people who understand architecture a lot better, which I would imagine is more up the alley for someone who studied DSP.

Likes TeethWhitener
Joshy said:
You could probably apply for senior or staff
Second. Senior usually denotes entry PhD level (or shortly thereafter). But it’s best to try to figure out what job titles entry-level PhD’s are being hired for in a given company. Websites like Glassdoor make this process significantly easier (and may also elucidate the often-confusing structure of senior scientist 1, senior scientist 2, etc.—do the numbers run from high to low or vice versa? It differs from company to company).

Joshy said:
You could probably apply for senior or staff.

Is aerospace & defense something you might be open to? I'm not sure if it's common at all aerospace & defense companies, but the ones I worked at credentials were highly valued. I saw multiple PhD applicants get hired directly to senior or staff roles with little to no work experience.

I also noticed you mentioning switching fields. I felt like my work in each of the aerospace companies was much more broad than the current company I'm with. I got to try so many different things while I was in aerospace. They also work with really high frequency and value people who understand architecture a lot better, which I would imagine is more up the alley for someone who studied DSP.
I think in the US things are different. Actually the only technical interview I had was in the US. Where I live the job market is smaller, and they seem to focus too much on experience (which must be local, too) as opposed to education, credentials and the theory, and thus employers are very selective. Many said PhD is considered as experience and I agree, but I didn't feel that way with my applications and interviews. I am sure things would be much easier after the first job, but breaking into the industry has proven to be extremely difficult for me, and more so now in my situation with years of gaps and not working in my field.

ProbablyNotMe said:
I think in the US things are different. Actually the only technical interview I had was in the US. Where I live the job market is smaller, and they seem to focus too much on experience (which must be local, too) as opposed to education, credentials and the theory, and thus employers are very selective.
OK, so where are you, and where are you looking? That would have been a key piece of info to disclose in Post #1, rather than Post #26. Proper guidance for careers varies a lot with different countries. Usually I can tell from the vocabulary and grammar of the posts whether the writer is US or not. But in your case, I didn't spot any tell-tale signs. You will probably get more targeted advice if you would clarify your circumstances.

Likes Vanadium 50
CrysPhys said:
OK, so where are you, and where are you looking? That would have been a key piece of info to disclose in Post #1, rather than Post #26. Proper guidance for careers varies a lot with different countries. Usually I can tell from the vocabulary and grammar of the posts whether the writer is US or not. But in your case, I didn't spot any tell-tale signs. You will probably get more targeted advice if you would clarify your circumstances.
I live in Canada where I got my PhD, and I mainly apply within Canada. I posted before and disclosed this information.

ProbablyNotMe said:
I live in Canada where I got my PhD, and I mainly apply within Canada. I posted before and disclosed this information.
It would have been far more efficient if you had referenced your previous thread in Post #1 of this thread; and at least include some basic background in your profile. I will typically click on a poster's profile, but not hunt for previous threads.

ETA: The following comment is not meant to be snarky, but hopefully enlightening. You should closely critique how effectively you communicate. Effective communication is key to the success of many endeavors, including landing a job.

Last edited:
Likes CalcNerd, symbolipoint and Vanadium 50
In my opinion, hundreds of job applications over a span of approximately three years is not a lot. It should be in the thousands. That's just my opinion.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
ProbablyNotMe said:
I once watched a YouTube video of someone who tried was switching careers to Data Science, and he said he sent 100 applications, got 30 interviews, 3 technical and one offer. I know the fields and places are different, but the discrepancy is huge to get 1 phone interview for every 150-200 applications.
Do you believe that? I don't.

You should have filled out like 5 thousand applications already.

I can make a bot to fill out applications for me. When that happens, it will be 1000 per day.

You can just use Selenium and an html parser to do it.
Requires minimal coding ability.

I say this all the time, and many don't believe me, but I could fill out 100 applications per day manually. This was my strategy. Try to apply to 100 jobs per day, and then see what happens after two weeks. If you can't find 100 jobs to apply to per day, then you're looking in the wrong industry.

Last edited:
  • Skeptical
Likes PeroK and ProbablyNotMe
Zap said:
I can make a bot to fill out applications for me. When that happens, it will be 1000 per day.

You can just use Selenium and an html parser to do it.
Requires minimal coding ability.

I say this all the time, and many don't believe me, but I could fill out 100 applications per day manually. This was my strategy. Try to apply to 100 jobs per day, and then see what happens after two weeks. If you can't find 100 jobs to apply to per day, then you're looking in the wrong industry.
Just incredible! The reliability is much of what is difficult to believe.

I haven't made the bot, yet, if that's what you're referring to. I suspect it will only actually work about half the time, and it's bound to run into all kind of errors, but after a considerable amount of debugging, and depending on the speed of the headless browser, I'm thinking I could knock out at least a few hundred applications while I sleep. This is just a hypothesis as of right now, though. I'm not really looking for a job at the moment, but this is in the pipeline of personal projects I intend to complete by next year. I would program it to string match on certain html tags so that it does not apply to completely random jobs. I don't think mass applying to completely random jobs is productive. You should have a few targets.

Zap said:
I haven't made the bot, yet, if that's what you're referring to. I suspect it will only actually work about half the time, and it's bound to run into all kind of errors, but after a considerable amount of debugging, and depending on the speed of the headless browser, I'm thinking I could knock out at least a few hundred applications while I sleep. This is just a hypothesis as of right now, though. I'm not really looking for a job at the moment, but this is in the pipeline of personal projects I intend to complete by next year. I would program it to string match on certain html tags so that it does not apply to completely random jobs. I don't think mass applying to completely random jobs is productive. You should have a few targets.
If that is something that YOU do, then at least you could use the work as a way to impress prospective employers during any resulting interviews.

ProbablyNotMe said:
I have a PhD in ECE, and since 2018 I applied to 100s of positions in my field, and all my applications were rejected from the onset, except for a handful of phone interviews, and one technical interview when I skipped the phone interview, after which my applications were also rejected. I don't know why this is happening and what I am doing wrong. I tailor my resume and write cover letters to most positions I apply for. How can I get a feedback about why my applications are not being considered? I worked in the academia for a couple of years before, but is this a strong reason not to consider my applications in the industry, for example? Now I have gap in my resume and things are getting harder and harder for recruiters to notice my resume.
You may not be in a pool of applicants or any for instance for a company to hire but also fall in a normal applicant pool so you normally wouldn't find something as quickly as you would, there could be other qualifications to each specific job