Reviewing Multivariable calculus to skip in college

In summary, the conversation revolves around a friend who will be majoring in chemical engineering and is considering using credits from community college to skip multivariable calculus at UC Berkeley. They are looking for a textbook to review and refresh their knowledge over the summer, but the friend is not interested in theoretical aspects of mathematics. Suggestions for textbooks include Gilbert Strangs Calculus and the books by Marsden and Tromba or Hubbard and Hubbard. It is also mentioned that it may be beneficial to contact future professors at Berkeley for advice. There is also a consideration for not skipping classes at a high level school like Berkeley and potentially missing out on a rigorous multivariable calculus class.
RubinLicht
Hi, I'm asking for a friend who will be majoring in chemical engineering.

We have already taken Calculus I, II, and III under a course offered by a local community college. Admittedly, it was taught from stewart's series of calculus books, and we did exactly zero proofs in the class, and all the homework and tests were computations. My friend got an A+ in the class, which is more or less the 99th percentile, so she is pretty solid with computations.

She is going to UC Berkeley next year, and is considering using the college credits to skip multivariable calculus. We both would like to read a textbook to review multivariable calculus over summer and refresh our minds (we didn't do any math senior year, since we finished all the math classes by our junior year).

She is definitely less interested in the theoretical aspects of mathematics than the math inclined people on this forumould be, so probably lean away from suggestions like Apostol, spivak, etc. But since chemical engineering majors have to take ODEs, PDEs, and linear algebra anyways, I don't think it would be bad to have a soft introduction to reading and writing proofs in the books, but, again, nothing hardcore math-major like spivak.

I am currently looking at Gilbert Strangs Calculus textbook for her. Would it serve her purposes well?

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could try:

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/

Which is a really good resource to know about in any case. It may be short on proofs for you, but take a look anyway. It's free!

Marsden and Tromba: Vector Calculus.

A better suggestion would be the book by Hubbard and Hubbard. Hubbard can be quite formal tho...

man up and email this question to her future professors at berkeley. but they may not answer, as in the bad old days some berkeley profs i met were pretty unhelpful. another suggestion is to look more deeply into what is in stewart, since that is her familiar book. i.e. there are some proofs in there, in appendix or elsewhere, and reading those requires less wasted repetition than starting a whole new book. stewarts books also went throgh severak editions, getting progressively less rigorous, so an earlier edition of stewart, (2nd?, 3rd?, i forget) might have more proofs.

another thought is that it can be a mistake to skip classes at a high level elite school like berkeley. you may be missing out on a really excellent multivariable clc class there, and may even put yourself in jeopardy by not being as well prepared as they expect. community college is really not the same as berkeley preparation.

Last edited:

1. What is Multivariable Calculus?

Multivariable calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions that have more than one independent variable. It is an extension of single variable calculus, which deals with functions of a single variable.

2. Why is it important to review Multivariable Calculus before skipping it in college?

Reviewing Multivariable Calculus before skipping it in college is important because it serves as the foundation for many advanced courses in mathematics and science. It also helps in developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are essential in any field of study.

3. What topics are covered in Multivariable Calculus?

Multivariable Calculus covers topics such as vector calculus, partial derivatives, multiple integrals, and vector fields. It also includes applications of these concepts in areas such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong background in single variable calculus before studying Multivariable Calculus?

Yes, a strong background in single variable calculus is necessary before studying Multivariable Calculus. Many of the concepts in Multivariable Calculus build upon those in single variable calculus, so it is important to have a good understanding of the basics.

5. Can reviewing Multivariable Calculus help in preparing for college level math courses?

Yes, reviewing Multivariable Calculus can be beneficial in preparing for college level math courses. It helps in developing a strong foundation in calculus, which is essential for many advanced math courses. It also introduces students to topics and problem-solving techniques that are commonly used in higher-level math courses.