Discover the Effects of Rotating Polarizing Films | Explained with Examples

• Thread starter Physics345
  • Start date
In summary, when light passes through a polarizing filter, the light becomes polarized. If the two films are rotated perpendicular to each other, all light will be blocked off.
Physics345

Homework Statement

Imagine that you had two polarizing films and were holding them one on top of the other. what would be the effect of rotating the two polarizing films with respect to one another be? explain what would be seen and why.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

Let’s say the first polarizer film was in the vertical direction, and the second was in the horizontal direction the light would go through the first vertical polarizer which would polarize the light in that direction, leaving 50% of the light. The remaining 50% vibrating light waves would be negated when they pass through the second polarizer. This would be the same scenario vice versa.

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics345 said:
Let’s say the first polarizer film was in the vertical direction, and the second was in the horizontal direction the light would go through the first vertical polarizer which would polarize the light in that direction, leaving 50% of the light. The remaining 50% vibrating light waves would be negated when they pass through the second polarizer. This would be the same scenario vice versa.
Uh ... "negated when they pass through the second polarizer"? Don't you mean "they would be blocked when they TRIED to pass through the second polarizer?"

Also, that is just one highly specific case. What happens when you rotate at other angles?

phinds said:
Uh ... "negated when they pass through the second polarizer"? Don't you mean "they would be blocked when they TRIED to pass through the second polarizer?"

Also, that is just one highly specific case. What happens when you rotate at other angles?
My textbook says negated, could it be wrong?
Also what other angles are we referring to?

Physics345 said:
My textbook says negated, could it be wrong?
Negated is not so much the problem as is the statement "they pass through the second polarizer" The point is they do NOT pass through the second polarizer when it is perpendicular to the first.
Also what other angles are we referring to?
ALL other angles

phinds said:
Negated is not so much the problem as is the statement "they pass through the second polarizer" The point is they do NOT pass through the second polarizer when it is perpendicular to the first.
ALL other angles
Why wouldn't they? What exactly is stopping them from passing through the second polarizer?

Physics345 said:
Why wouldn't they? What exactly is stopping them from passing through the second polarizer?
A polarizing filter effectively poses a question to the photon: are you polarized with me or against me? Simple binary choice. If with me you can go through, if against you can't.
Suppose there are two filters at angle θ. If a photon has got through the first filter it has committed to being polarized in that specific durection. When it has to decide at the second filter, its probability of saying "with" is cos2(θ). Thus, if they are at right angles, its probability of getting through the second filter is zero.

Likes Physics345
haruspex said:
A polarizing filter effectively poses a question to the photon: are you polarized with me or against me? Simple binary choice. If with me you can go through, if against you can't.
Suppose there are two filters at angle θ. If a photon has got through the first filter it has committed to being polarized in that specific durection. When it has to decide at the second filter, its probability of saying "with" is cos2(θ). Thus, if they are at right angles, its probability of getting through the second filter is zero.
Sorry I'm so late with my reply. I re arranged my answer I'm pretty sure I got it now. Have a loo
k
Polarized light; is light whose electric fields are only oscillating in one direction. When un-polarized light whose electric field oscillates in any directions passes through a polarizer, the light becomes polarized. When light passes through the first polarized film, the lights electric field will oscillate in that direction. When they pass through the second polarized film which is perpendicular the remaining electric fields will be blocked, causing there to be no light left at all. Since the two polarized films are rotating perpendicular. Therefore we know regardless of the perpendicular rotation of the two films all light will be blocked off once it reaches the second perpendicular polarized film at all angles.

Last edited:
Physics345 said:
once it passes through
Except, it doesn't pass through.

haruspex said:
Except, it doesn't pass through.
Opps sorry that was a typo I didn't notice that. Other than that, do I have a proper understanding now?
I edited it to "reaches the second polarized film"

Physics345 said:
un-polarized light whose electric field oscillates in any directions
Make that "many directions" and your answer will be fine.

Likes Physics345
Done thank you both for your help!

1. What is a rotating polarizing film?

A rotating polarizing film is a thin sheet of material that has been treated with a special coating that allows it to block certain types of light waves. This film is typically used in photography and other optical applications to reduce glare and improve overall image quality.

2. How does a rotating polarizing film work?

A rotating polarizing film works by filtering out light waves that are vibrating in a specific direction. This is accomplished by aligning the film's molecules in a specific direction, which blocks light waves that are vibrating perpendicular to that direction. By rotating the film, different light waves can be blocked, resulting in different levels of polarization.

3. What are some examples of rotating polarizing films in action?

Rotating polarizing films are commonly used in sunglasses to reduce glare from reflective surfaces such as water or snow. They are also used in camera lenses to reduce glare and enhance colors in landscape photography. Another example is in LCD screens, where a rotating polarizing film is used to control the direction of light passing through the screen.

4. How do I use a rotating polarizing film in photography?

To use a rotating polarizing film in photography, first attach the film to the lens of your camera. Then, rotate the film until you achieve the desired level of polarization. This can help reduce glare and reflections in your photos, and can also enhance colors and contrast.

5. Are there any limitations to using a rotating polarizing film?

While rotating polarizing films can be extremely useful in reducing glare and improving image quality, they do have some limitations. They work best when the light source is at a 90-degree angle from the subject, so they may not be as effective in certain lighting conditions. Additionally, they can reduce the amount of light entering the camera, which may require longer exposure times or higher ISO settings.