Discover the Magic of Soap Making: Experiment with Different Solutions at Home

• Thread starter Klutch1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Soap
In summary, soap is made of a base (lye) and oil, and you need to heat the oil of fat to make it into soap. There are many different types of soap, and it is not just based on the basic recipe.
Klutch1
I want to start a home project to creating different soap solutions. Dish washing detergent, carpet cleaning solution, and car cleaning soap are my main focuses. I have no idea where to start as my internet research is getting no where.

What is soap made of and how can I experiment with different solutions?
What kind of tools will be needed?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The process is called saponification, using oil and base ( lye ). Lye can be either sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide depending on the recipee and type of soap desired.

It is not as simple as it looks to make a suitable soap, since you are dealing with a caustic substance ( lye ). Depending upon your process you may be heating the oil of fat so do that in a safe way.

Some people make this into a hobby soap making business.

I have completed a little research and it seems that soap is made from a base+oil+water. Creating a carpet cleaner is more of creating a shampoo. Base (lye) and and a oil seems to be the way you create hand soaps or dish washing soaps. Which is very useful, figuring out the chemical compounds in a carpet cleaning solution seem to be allot more complex. I really want to start creating many of these types of chemicals but cannot find a starting point.

When carpet cleaning companies create solutions does it all derive from the basic recipe of base+oil+water=soap?

Klutch1 said:
When carpet cleaning companies create solutions does it all derive from the basic recipe of base+oil+water=soap?

Almost never. Simple soaps based on fats and oils are rarely used for the purposes you are interested in. Most detergents are alkyl or aryl sulfonates or are polyethoxylated phenols or alcohols.

A good place to start looking is McCutcheon's" Functional Materials" and "Emulsifiers and Detergents".
http://shop.gomc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TMC&Category_Code=mccutch

1. What are the necessary ingredients for making soap solution?

The basic ingredients for making soap solution are water, oils or fats, and lye. Other optional ingredients may include fragrances, colorants, and additives such as essential oils or exfoliants.

2. Can I use any type of oil or fat for making soap solution?

Yes, you can use a variety of oils and fats such as coconut oil, olive oil, shea butter, or animal fats like lard or tallow. Each type of oil or fat will result in a different soap with varying properties and benefits.

3. How do I mix the ingredients to create soap solution?

To make soap solution, you will need to follow a specific recipe and carefully measure and mix the ingredients. First, you will need to mix the lye with water in a well-ventilated area, then slowly add it to the oils or fats, and stir until it reaches trace. This is when the mixture thickens and leaves a trace when you drip it back into the pot. Finally, you can add any additional ingredients and pour the mixture into a mold to cure.

4. How long does it take for soap solution to cure?

The curing time for soap solution can vary depending on the recipe and ingredients used. On average, it takes 4-6 weeks for soap to fully cure and become safe to use. During this time, the soap goes through a process called saponification, where the lye and oils react to form soap molecules.

5. Can I customize the fragrance and color of my soap solution?

Yes, you can customize the fragrance and color of your soap solution by adding essential oils or fragrance oils and colorants during the mixing process. However, it's essential to use skin-safe and approved ingredients to ensure the safety and quality of your soap.