Discover the Method to Derive E=mc^2 - A Comprehensive Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of deriving the famous equation E=mc^2. The speaker expresses their eagerness to learn how to derive it and asks if the other person is familiar with techniques of calculus and classical physics. They also mention a particular article to reference for understanding the conservation of center of mass.
Milind_shyani
Hi,
I am very eager to know how to derive e=mc^2.
I am sure that you all would be knowing how to derive the world famous equation E=mc^2.i know the basics but still it is a tough job to explain that. But I am hoping that you would send me a reply as soon as possible. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
do you know how to derive the time-dilation and mass-dilation equations for Special Relativity? are you comfortable with techniques of integration in calculus? and with concepts of classical physics (like momentum, force, work/energy)?

if you know that the center of mass conserves have a look at
Adel F. Antippa, "Inertia of energy and the liberated photon," Am.J.Phys. 44 841 (1976)

1. How did Einstein come up with the equation E=mc^2?

Einstein derived the equation E=mc^2 as part of his theory of special relativity. He realized that energy and mass are fundamentally interconnected and can be converted into each other. Through mathematical calculations and thought experiments, he showed that the speed of light (c) is the conversion factor between mass (m) and energy (E).

2. What does the equation E=mc^2 mean?

The equation E=mc^2 means that energy (E) is equal to mass (m) multiplied by the speed of light squared (c^2). This shows the relationship between mass and energy and the immense amount of energy that can be obtained from a small amount of mass.

3. How is the equation E=mc^2 used in everyday life?

The equation E=mc^2 has many practical applications in everyday life. It is used in nuclear energy and weapons, medical imaging, and even in the functioning of electronic devices. It also helps us understand the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

4. Is E=mc^2 the complete equation for the relationship between energy and mass?

No, E=mc^2 is a simplified version of the complete equation. The full equation, E^2 = (mc^2)^2 + (pc)^2, includes the momentum (p) of an object as well. However, for objects at rest, the momentum term becomes zero and we are left with the simpler form, E=mc^2.

5. Can E=mc^2 be applied to all forms of energy?

Yes, E=mc^2 can be applied to all forms of energy, as long as they have mass. This includes potential energy, kinetic energy, and even thermal energy. However, it is most commonly used in the context of nuclear reactions, where it is used to calculate the energy released from the conversion of mass into energy.