Discovering MATLAB: Tips for Learning from Scratch

In summary, for those looking to learn MATLAB from scratch, it is recommended to have some basic procedural programming knowledge. The "Getting Started with MATLAB" tutorial and Cleve Moler's textbook page are helpful resources to start with. The MathWorks website also has a comprehensive database and examples. If further assistance is needed, textbooks tailored to one's programming experience and purpose can be beneficial.
MMS
Hello everyone,

For those of you who are familiar with MATLAB and have worked with it in the past, I would like to hear from you guys about efficient and good ways to learn it from scratch. I would appreciate it if you can also specify websites, books, online courses or whatever it is that you found helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you already somewhat familiar with basic procedural programming? If so, I think you will have very little trouble learning the basics of MATLAB use. Take an afternoon to go through the "Getting Started with MATLAB" tutorial and play around with the various examples. After that you could also look at the textbook page of Cleve Moler. In the end, I think you learn to most by using MATLAB to solve all kinds of problems that you encounter in your daily work.

MATLAB is thankfully quite easy to learn and has a useful database. The MathWorks website, http://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/, should have everything you need along with examples. If this is still insufficient I would recommend a textbook, but the type of book will be dependent on your previous programming experience and your purpose of learning (for physics and engineering? or?). Hope that helps.

1. What is MATLAB?

MATLAB is a programming language and interactive environment commonly used in scientific and engineering fields. It allows users to perform complex mathematical computations, create visualizations, and develop algorithms.

2. Do I need any prior programming experience to learn MATLAB?

No, prior programming experience is not required to learn MATLAB. However, having a basic understanding of programming concepts such as variables, loops, and functions can make it easier to learn.

3. How can I learn MATLAB from scratch?

To learn MATLAB from scratch, it is recommended to start with the official MATLAB documentation and online tutorials. You can also take online courses or attend workshops to learn the basics and advanced features of MATLAB.

4. Can MATLAB be used for data analysis and visualization?

Yes, MATLAB is widely used for data analysis and visualization. It has built-in functions and tools for handling and manipulating large datasets, as well as creating visualizations such as plots and graphs.

5. Is MATLAB only used in scientific and engineering fields?

No, while MATLAB is commonly used in scientific and engineering fields, it is also used in other industries such as finance, economics, and even game development. Its versatility makes it a popular choice for various applications.