Discovering Stokes Law to Understanding its Origins and Applicability

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of deriving Stokes law and the use of Navier-Stokes equations in doing so. It is mentioned that it is possible to derive Stokes law analytically by working intuitively and using Occam's razor to justify certain equations.
Don Carnage
Hi -
Is it possible to derive Stokes law or is it an emprirical law.?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stokes'_law
I was thinking of using the Navier-Stokes equations but i don't want to start out
if it impossible..
Thx.

Physics news on Phys.org
by solving the small fluid-mass limit of the generally unsolvable Navier-Stokes equations

There's your answer.

Don Carnage said:
Hi -
Is it possible to derive Stokes law or is it an emprirical law.?

You can derive it.

So can I derive it analytical or do I have to use numeric methods alias finite element..?
Well I will try to do some calc tomorrow.. shouldn't be that hard.. thx

Yes it is possible to derive Stokes law analytically but you have to work a bit intuitively to get the the appropriate velocity profile equations. This seems to include invoking Occam's razor to justify applying a zero valued coefficient to the squared terms in the V.P. equations.
Cheers,
T.S.

Related to Discovering Stokes Law to Understanding its Origins and Applicability

1. What is Stokes Law?

Stokes Law, also known as the law of viscous drag, is a fundamental physical principle that describes the behavior of small particles in a fluid medium. It was first formulated by Sir George Gabriel Stokes in the 19th century and is commonly used in various fields such as fluid dynamics, sedimentation, and rheology.

2. How does Stokes Law work?

Stokes Law states that the drag force experienced by a small spherical particle moving through a viscous fluid is directly proportional to the particle's velocity, radius, and the viscosity of the fluid. This relationship is described by the equation F = 6πηrv, where F is the drag force, η is the viscosity, r is the particle radius, and v is the velocity.

3. What are the origins of Stokes Law?

Stokes Law was first derived by Sir George Gabriel Stokes in 1851 as a mathematical solution to the problem of a small sphere moving through a viscous fluid at a constant velocity. Stokes used the principles of fluid mechanics and Newton's laws of motion to develop this law.

4. In what applications is Stokes Law useful?

Stokes Law is widely used in various scientific and engineering fields to understand and predict the behavior of small particles in a fluid medium. Some common applications include understanding sedimentation rates in the ocean, predicting the behavior of particles in pharmaceuticals and paints, and analyzing the flow of blood cells in the human body.

5. Are there any limitations to Stokes Law?

Stokes Law is based on certain assumptions, such as the particle being spherical and the fluid being incompressible and Newtonian. These assumptions may not hold true in all real-life situations, leading to discrepancies between the predicted and actual behavior. Additionally, Stokes Law is only applicable to small particles in low Reynolds number flow, and it may not accurately describe the behavior of larger particles or in high-speed flows.