Viscosity Term in Navier-Stokes Equation

In summary, the viscosity term in the Navier-Stokes equation is different than what one would intuitively expect. My method for calculating the shear stress may be incorrect, and I'm missing the third term of the Laplacian.
person123
I'm a bit confused about the viscosity term in the Navier-Stokes equation; my intuitive understanding of what it would is different from what it actually is.

I took the z component of the stress on an infinitesimal cube, but the same approach should apply in the x and y direction. I think my method might be a bit sloppy (maybe leading to the error), but I'm not sure how to be more precise. I end up missing the third term of the Laplacian, the second derivative of the z component of velocity with respect to z. What am I missing?

Thanks.

Navier-Stokes.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
What you scribbled is unreadable.

On the left side of the cube, the shear is:
##-\mu \frac {\partial v_z} {\partial y}##

and on the right side of the cube, the shear is:
##\mu (\frac {\partial v_z} {\partial y}+\Delta \frac {\partial v_z}{\partial y})##Similarly, on the back, the shear is:
##-\mu \frac {\partial v_z} {\partial x}##

and on the front side, the shear is:

##\mu (\frac {\partial v_z} {\partial x}+\Delta \frac {\partial v_z}{\partial x})##
I then added up the shear stresses giving the following:
##\mu (\Delta \frac {\partial v_z}{\partial x}+\Delta \frac {\partial v_z}{\partial y})##
or:
##\mu ( \frac {\partial^2 v_z}{\partial x^2}dx+\frac {\partial^2 v_z}{\partial y^2} dy)##
I also know that:
##a=\frac{F}{m}=\frac{\tau dA}{\rho dV}##The differential lengths cancel, leaving me with:
##a=\nu(\frac{
\partial^2 v_z}{\partial x^2}+ \frac {\partial^2 v_z}{\partial y^2} )
##

Last edited:
person123 said:
On the left side of the cube, the shear is:
##-\mu \frac {\partial v_z} {\partial y}##
This is not correct. The general equation for this shear stress according to the 3D version of the constitutive equation for a Newtonian fluid is $$\mu\left(\frac{\partial v_z}{\partial y}+\frac{\partial v_y}{\partial z}\right)$$
For the derivation of the tensorially correct form of the constitutive equation for a Newtonian fluid in 3D, see section 1.2 of Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot, Generalization of Newton's Law of Viscosity.

Likes Hemang1999, dextercioby and person123
Based on the book, the correct equations should be:
$$\tau_{xz}=\mu(\frac{\partial v_z}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial v_x}{\partial z})$$
$$\tau_{yz}=\mu(\frac{\partial v_z}{\partial y}+\frac{\partial v_y}{\partial z})$$
$$\tau_{zz}=\mu(\frac{\partial v_z}{\partial z}+\frac{\partial v_z}{\partial z})$$

The book doesn't seem to explain how to relate this to acceleration, but I imagine I would use the same method I tried before, adding the shears on either side. I think the terms on the left side of the sum would give me the correct viscous term. This would mean the terms on the right would have to add up to 0, which I think it does if you assume it's incompressible:

$$\frac{\partial^2 v_x}{\partial x \partial z}+\frac{\partial^2 v_y}{\partial y \partial z}+\frac{\partial^2 v_z}{\partial z^2}=0$$
$$\frac{\partial}{\partial z}(\frac{\partial v_x}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial v_y}{\partial y}+\frac{\partial v_z}{\partial z})=0$$

The book explains that because under pure rotation there should be no shear, the terms must be symmetric, which I think helps me understand what's going on. The equations for stress are those for rate of change of strain times ##\mu##. In the rotation example, there's clearly no strain (as it's rotating as a rigid body), so no stress. So to find the shear stress, you need the rate of shear strain, and so you need both terms for how velocity varies. I think my confusion was from the fact I was using ##\tau=\mu\frac{du}{dy}## (from the classic intro example of a plate moving over a thin layer of fluid), which isn't general enough for this.

However, the equation for normal stress is still a bit confusing to me. The book uses an example of fluid moving through a contracting pipe; the velocity change leads to viscous stresses. I understand that there is deformation, and the changing deformation could lead to stresses due to viscous forces. However, it still seems to be off by a factor of two (why do you multiply ##\frac{\partial v_z}{\partial z}## by 2?).

Last edited:
I came up with an explanation which I think makes sense but I'm not sure if it is correct. First I imagined a square within a square (as shown in the photo), and then I thought about the shear strain of the small square caused by the normal strain of the large square.

I called the length of a side of the large square ##s##. $$\frac{d\epsilon}{dt}=\frac{1}{s}\frac{dy}{dt}=\frac{\partial v_y}{\partial y}$$ Because the fluid is incompressible, there would be the following strain in the x direction (assuming there is no strain in the z direction):$$\frac{1}{s}\frac{dy}{dt}=-\frac{\partial v_x}{\partial x}$$

I knew that the normal strain would produce a change in angle in the smaller square, and I derived the connection in the following way: $$\tan (\theta)=\frac {y}{x}$$ $$\frac{d \tan(\theta)}{dt}=\frac{dy}{dt}x^{-1}+y(-1)x^{-2}\frac{dx}{dt}=\frac{\partial v_y}{\partial y}+\frac{\partial v_y}{\partial y}=2\frac{\partial v_y}{\partial y}$$

And because:
$$\frac{d \tan(\theta)}{dt}=\frac{\partial v_x}{\partial y} +\frac{\partial v_y}{\partial x}$$

It must be true that: $$\frac{\partial v_x}{\partial y}+\frac{\partial v_y}{\partial x}=2\frac{\partial v_y}{\partial y}$$

This would then relate the normal strain in the large square to the shear strain in the small square.

Chestermiller said:
This is not correct. The general equation for this shear stress according to the 3D version of the constitutive equation for a Newtonian fluid is $$\mu\left(\frac{\partial v_z}{\partial y}+\frac{\partial v_y}{\partial z}\right)$$
For the derivation of the tensorially correct form of the constitutive equation for a Newtonian fluid in 3D, see section 1.2 of Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot, Generalization of Newton's Law of Viscosity.
I have a similar question , in the section 1.2 of transport phenomena by bird and lightfoot in generalization of Newton's law of viscosity derivation, I am not able to understand how to derive equation 1.2-4 from equation 1.2-3, I don't understand how the indices i and j appeared in equation 1.2-4 with velocity gradients, please give me a better explanation of the paragraph right above the equation 1.2-4!

Attachments

• IMG_20191102_174108.jpg
    IMG_20191102_174108.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 249
Hemang1999 said:
I have a similar question , in the section 1.2 of transport phenomena by bird and lightfoot in generalization of Newton's law of viscosity derivation, I am not able to understand how to derive equation 1.2-4 from equation 1.2-3, I don't understand how the indices i and j appeared in equation 1.2-4 with velocity gradients, please give me a better explanation of the paragraph right above the equation 1.2-4!
I don't know how to explain it any better than BSL did it.

Likes Hemang1999
Thankyou
Chestermiller said:
I don't know how to explain it any better than BSL did it.

1. What is the viscosity term in the Navier-Stokes equation?

The viscosity term in the Navier-Stokes equation is a mathematical representation of the internal friction within a fluid. It takes into account the resistance of a fluid to shear deformation, or the tendency of different layers of the fluid to move at different speeds.

2. Why is the viscosity term important in fluid dynamics?

The viscosity term is important because it affects the behavior of fluids in motion. It determines the rate at which a fluid will flow, as well as the formation of vortices and turbulence. Without the viscosity term, the Navier-Stokes equation would not accurately describe the behavior of real fluids.

3. How is the viscosity term calculated?

The viscosity term is calculated using the fluid's viscosity coefficient, which is a measure of the fluid's resistance to flow. It is also dependent on the velocity gradient, or the change in velocity over a given distance, within the fluid.

4. What is the role of the viscosity term in boundary layers?

In boundary layers, the viscosity term helps to smooth out the velocity profile of the fluid near solid surfaces. This is important for reducing drag and improving the overall flow of the fluid.

5. How does the viscosity term affect the flow of different fluids?

The viscosity term has a significant impact on the flow of different fluids. For example, high viscosity fluids, such as honey, flow much slower than low viscosity fluids, such as water. Additionally, the viscosity term can also affect the transition from laminar to turbulent flow in a fluid.