Discovering the Elusive Positron g-Factor: A Comparison with CODATA's Best Value

• B
  • Thread starter quiet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Positron
In summary, the conversation discusses the value of the electron and positron g-factor and how it is important to look experimentally for any difference, even though the Standard Model predicts them to be the same. The explicit value of the g-factor for the electron and positron is not listed in CODATA, but it can be calculated from the magnetic moments of the particles. This conversation was sparked by a discussion about using positron tomography for other purposes and the discovery that the magnetic moments of the electron and positron are nearly identical.
quiet
Hi. I registered recently. Maybe you can help me with the following. I have sought the value of the electron g-factor and abundant information has appeared, including the best value exposed in CODATA.

With the value of the positron g-factor I have not been lucky. Comparative approaches of theoretical type appear, but I can not find the explicit value.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
PDG has experimental results, no difference between electrons and positrons has been found.

CPT requires that electron and positron have exactly the same g-factor, therefore Standard Model predictions for the electron and the positron are the same.

Likes quiet
Thank You very much mfb. One more thing, if possible. What is the explicit value, which in CODATA does not appear?

quite said:
What is the explicit value, which in CODATA does not appear?

Seriously - you need us to type it in for you? You can't follow the link - or, alternatively, do the arithmetic - yourself?

a (and g = 2(1+a)) is 1159652187.9(4.3 ) x 10^-12.

The PDG, tables give the experimental values
Mu(proton)=2.7928473508(±85),
Mu(antip) =−2.7928464(±23).
This shows that, within experimental error, the antiproton has the same magnetic moment as the proton.
You can convert these numbers to the g value using the definition of g.
Whatever the standard model or PCT says, it is still important to look experimentally for any difference.

Likes quiet
Hi and thanks for all persons. I'll try to expose why I'm looking for explicit value on the internet, or wherever. I was traveling by train. Behind me two men held a technical conversation out loud and I could hear it. One of them, with a group, tried to use components of a positron tomograph for another purpose. He said that something was difficult and that, after exhausting other possibilities, there were two. One, an error in calculations made by the group, but they were simple calculations, revised several times and found no error. Another, that the magnetic moment of the electron and the magnetic moment of the positron differed a lot. But this second idea was absurd, since physics assures the equality of both magnetic moments. That made me curious. I started the search on the internet and after failing in the attempt, I raised the question here in the forum.

We know they are the same within a few parts per billion (and the uncertainty doesn't come from the g-factor, it comes from the masses). That is way more precise than everything they might need in applications.

Likes quiet
Yes, it was only a moment of curiosity. I will not try to look for more. I thank all the people who kindly approached this thread.

1. What is the elusive positron g-factor?

The positron g-factor is a dimensionless quantity that describes the magnetic moment of a positron, which is a subatomic particle with a positive charge. It is a fundamental property of particles and plays a crucial role in understanding their behavior.

2. Why is the positron g-factor important?

The positron g-factor is important because it provides insights into the fundamental laws of physics and can help verify or challenge existing theories. It also has practical applications in fields such as particle accelerators and medical imaging.

3. How is the positron g-factor measured?

The positron g-factor can be measured using various experimental techniques, such as precision spectroscopy and scattering experiments. These experiments involve studying the behavior of positrons in different environments and measuring their magnetic moments.

4. What is CODATA and how does it relate to the positron g-factor?

CODATA (Committee on Data for Science and Technology) is an international organization that is responsible for evaluating and disseminating the most accurate and reliable values for fundamental physical constants, including the positron g-factor. Scientists use CODATA's best value as a reference for their own measurements and to compare with other theoretical predictions.

5. How does the comparison with CODATA's best value help in discovering the elusive positron g-factor?

The comparison with CODATA's best value allows scientists to assess the accuracy and precision of their measurements and theories. It can also help identify any discrepancies or new insights that may lead to a better understanding of the positron g-factor and its underlying physics.