Discovering the Mobility of the Pictured Mechanism: Analysis and Insights

In summary, the conversation discusses the mobility of a system consisting of 5 links and 6 joints, with the mobility equation being M = 3(N-1) – 2(J1) – J2 + R. The calculated mobility is 1, but there is confusion about the actual number of degrees of freedom due to the presence of redundancies in the system. The discussion also includes speculation about the role of certain links and joints in constraining the system.
nakos922
Member advised to retain the formatting template headings.
HW_1.jpg

I need to find the mobility of the pictured system
I have labeled the 5 links with black numbers and the 6 joints with red letters for convenienceAttempt at a solution: I know the mobility equation is M = 3(N-1) – 2(J1) – J2 + R, where N = number of links, J1 is the number of 1 DoF Joints, J2 is the number of 2 DoF joints and R is the number of redundancies.

So far, I have 5 links (where 1 is the ground and 4 is the entire disk), 5 1 DoF joints (A, C, D rolling without slipping, E & F), and one 2 DoF joints (B, a 2 DoF slider).

Plugging that into the mobility equation yields 3(5-1) – 2(5) – 1 = 12 – 10 – 1 = 1

However, upon inspection, the system has 2 degrees of freedom and not 1 as the mobility equation suggests. I have been trying to reason through where I may have went wrong, or if there are any redundancies in the system to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does it help if you visualize the disk mobility if link 3 does not exist?

Would link 3 be redundant since the position/rotation of the disk already has only 1 DoF due link 5 and the ground (link 1/joint D)? Then you have 1 DoF due to link 2 which wouldn't be connected to anything else, so a total of 2 DoF for the mechanism with one redundancy.

Am I on the right track with that logic?

Unfortunately I have no idea!
I found the problem 'interesting' and studied the drawing for a while. I realized that joints A, B, C were free to rotate and link 2 could have any arbitrary length. That implied they did not constrain the location of joint C.

Hopefully someone else on the site can evaluate your formal evaluation. Im' an electronics guy and most of my mechanics is what I've picked up along the way.

I am getting the mobility to be 1 where the n = 6 j= 7 and high pair = 0

Let's see if we can get an expert in on this.
Paging @jrmichler

Five year old thread!

nakos922 said:
However, upon inspection,

The OP's calculation appears to be correct. The OP's problem is understanding why that is the case. Here's how I look at it:

1) The disk 4 is triangular link DCE because there is no slipping at D.
2) The link 5 locks link DCE in position, therefore link 3 pivots around fixed point C.
3) If link 3 has a pivot at slider B, and link 2 has a slider connection at B, then slider B has one DOF.

Side note: I last saw this calculation as an undergrad in the 1970's. But understanding the concept of number of constraints and resulting degrees of freedom has been very important since then.

Likes Tom.G

1. What is the purpose of studying the mobility of the pictured mechanism?

The purpose of studying the mobility of the pictured mechanism is to gain a better understanding of how it functions and moves. This can help in designing more efficient and effective mechanisms for various applications.

2. What methods are used to analyze the mobility of the pictured mechanism?

There are various methods used to analyze the mobility of a mechanism, including graphical and analytical methods. Graphical methods involve creating diagrams or models of the mechanism, while analytical methods use mathematical equations and calculations.

3. How does the mobility of a mechanism affect its performance?

The mobility of a mechanism plays a crucial role in its performance. A mechanism with higher mobility allows for more degrees of freedom and flexibility in its movement, which can result in a wider range of applications and better efficiency.

4. What insights can be gained from studying the mobility of the pictured mechanism?

Studying the mobility of a mechanism can provide valuable insights into its design and functionality. It can also help in identifying any potential issues or limitations in the mechanism, which can then be addressed and improved upon.

5. How can the knowledge of mobility be applied in real-world situations?

The knowledge of mobility can be applied in various industries, such as manufacturing, robotics, and engineering. It can help in designing and optimizing mechanisms for different purposes, improving efficiency and performance in various applications.