Discovering Vector Direction in Conservation of Energy Problems

In summary: Note that rails cannot be smooth and frictionless as then the rod would not roll but slip on the rails.The force shown as ##f_s## is the self-adjusting force of static friction and will always be such that ##f_s \le \mu_{s} \times R##. Also, when determining the magnetic force on the current carrying conductor, ##\vec {l}## direction must be taken in direction of conventional current ##I##.If you knew the value as well as direction of ##f_s## then you could have used equation of motion to determine ##a## and then ##v_f## of the center of mass of the rolling rod, and there would be no need to
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For this problem,
1674709755266.png

Is the length vector into or out of the page and how do you tell?

EDIT: Why must we use conservation of energy for this problem? I tried solving it like this:
##IdB\sin90 = ma ##
##IdB = ma ##
##v_f = (2aL)^{1/2} ##
##v_f = (\frac {2dIBL} {m})^{1/2} ##

Which is incorrect according to solutions:
1674712650008.png

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Callumnc1 said:
Which length, L or d?
L is across, neither into the page nor out of it.
What formula do you plan to use?

Likes ChiralSuperfields
haruspex said:
Which length, L or d?
L is across, neither into the page nor out of it.
What formula do you plan to use?
Thanks for your reply @haruspex ! I was refering to the length d. I plan to use the formula ## F_B = ILB\sin\theta ##

Thanks!

Nevermind @haruspex , the solution uses the cross-product definition of magnetic force
1674712347206.png

I did't realise this was a conservation of energy problem. Why can't this be solved this way like I tried to do:

##IdB\sin90 = ma ##
##IdB = ma ##
##v_f = (2aL)^{1/2} ##

I guess it is because the force not only accelerates the center of mass but also rotates it (somehow?). I think they say assume rolling without slipping because otherwise not all of the work done by the magnetic force would go into kinetic energies of the rod.

Also how did they find ## I ## for the rod?

Last edited:
Callumnc1 said:
because the force not only accelerates the center of mass but also rotates it
Yes.
Callumnc1 said:
rolling without slipping because otherwise not all of the work done by the magnetic force would go into kinetic energies of the rod
Or it could have been sliding without friction.
Callumnc1 said:
how did they find I for the rod?
I assume you mean the moment of inertia, not the current.
Same as for a disc. You can think of it as just a lot of discs stuck together.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
haruspex said:
Yes.

Or it could have been sliding without friction.
Thanks for your reply @haruspex! How would it have ## K_{rot}## is it is sliding? It does not seem that their solution takes that into account, only rolling without slipping since they assume that the rod has and ##\omega##

haruspex said:
I assume you mean the moment of inertia, not the current.
Same as for a disc. You can think of it as just a lot of discs stuck together.
Yes thanks you are correct. Thats a very insightful way to think about the moment of inertia of a rod!

Many thanks!

Callumnc1 said:
How would it have ## K_{rot}## is it is sliding?
No, I meant that if it were sliding without friction instead of rolling then it would still be the case that all the work done goes into KE.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
haruspex said:
No, I meant that if it were sliding without friction instead of rolling then it would still be the case that all the work done goes into KE.
Got it! So all the work goes into ##K_{trans} ## when sliding without friction. Thanks for your help!

Callumnc1 said:
Homework Statement:: Please see below
Relevant Equations:: Please see below

For this problem,
View attachment 321150

EDIT: Why must we use conservation of energy for this problem? I tried solving it like this:
##IdB\sin90 = ma ##
##IdB = ma ##
##v_f = (2aL)^{1/2} ##

Which is incorrect according to solutions:
View attachment 321157

Many thanks!
In my view, the reason your initial attempt didn't give the correct answer is because you didn't consider the force of static friction which is a self-adjusting force and acts in rolling without slippage situations.

CamScanner 01-26-2023 14.42.jpg

The free body diagram of the rolling rod as it accelerates along the rails is as above; the equations of motion would then be different from the one you got in your attempted solution.

Note that rails cannot be smooth and frictionless as then the rod would not roll but slip on the rails.

The force shown as ##f_s## is the self-adjusting force of static friction and will always be such that ##f_s \le \mu_{s} \times R##. Also, when determining the magnetic force on the current carrying conductor, ##\vec {l}## direction must be taken in direction of conventional current ##I##.

If you knew the value as well as direction of ##f_s## then you could have used equation of motion to determine ##a## and then ##v_f## of the center of mass of the rolling rod, and there would be no need to use work-energy theorem/conservation of energy to solve this problem.

Work energy theorem states that ## W_{net} = \Delta {KE}## for any situation.

Last edited:
Likes ChiralSuperfields
vcsharp2003 said:
In my view, the reason your initial attempt didn't give the correct answer is because you didn't consider the force of static friction which is a self-adjusting force and acts in rolling without slippage situations.

View attachment 321161

The free body diagram of the rolling rod as it accelerates along the rails is as above; the equations of motion would then be different from the one you got in your attempted solution.

Note that rails cannot be smooth and frictionless as then the rod would not roll but slip on the rails.

The force shown as ##f_s## is the self-adjusting force of static friction and will always be such that ##f_s \le \mu_{s} \times R##. Also, when determining the magnetic force on the current carrying conductor, ##\vec {l}## direction must be taken in direction of conventional current ##I##.

If you knew the value as well as direction of ##f_s## then you could have used equation of motion to determine ##a## and then ##v_f## of the center of mass of the rolling rod, and there would be no need to use work-energy theorem/conservation of energy to solve this problem.

Work energy theorem states that ## W_{net} = \Delta {KE}## for any situation.
Thank very much for those insights! That is very interesting!

Likes vcsharp2003
Callumnc1 said:
Thank very much for those insights! That is very interesting!
If you wanted to solve this problem without using conservation of energy then you could do so by writing the correct equation of motion and also writing the torque equation for the rolling object about an axis through object's center of mass or object's point of contact with the rails.

The torque equation is ##\tau = I \times \alpha## and the equation of motion is ##F= m \times a##. ##I## i.e. moment of inertia of rolling object , must be taken about the same axis as the torque ##\tau##.

(##\alpha## is angular acceleration of the rolling object and is related to linear acceleration ##a## according to the equation ##a= \alpha \times r##)

Likes ChiralSuperfields
vcsharp2003 said:
If you wanted to solve this problem without using conservation of energy then you could do so by writing the correct equation of motion and also writing the torque equation for the rolling object about an axis through object's center of mass or object's point of contact with the rails.

The torque equation is ##\tau = I \times \alpha## and the equation of motion is ##F= m \times a##. ##I## i.e. moment of inertia of rolling object , must be taken about the same axis as the torque ##\tau##.

(##\alpha## is angular acceleration of the rolling object and is related to linear acceleration ##a## according to the equation ##a= \alpha \times r##)
Thanks for pointing that out @vcsharp2003 ! I should try that sometime!

Callumnc1 said:
It does not seem that their solution takes that into account, only rolling without slipping since they assume that the rod has and
The problem text says "rolls without slipping" so why solve the problem in a completely different situation?

Likes ChiralSuperfields
malawi_glenn said:
The problem text says "rolls without slipping" so why solve the problem in a completely different situation?
Thank you for your reply @malawi_glenn ! Yeah true, my curiosity sometimes extends beyond the problem :)

Attachments

• 1674809036380.png
    1674809036380.png
    18 KB · Views: 66
Callumnc1 said:
Thank you for your reply @malawi_glenn ! Yeah true, my curiosity sometimes extends beyond the problem :)
your attachment have no connection to the problem in this thread.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
malawi_glenn said:
your attachment have no connection to the problem in this thread.
Thank you @malawi_glenn ! I'll try to keep my thoughts related to the thread next time!

1. What is vector direction in conservation of energy problems?

Vector direction refers to the direction in which a force is acting in a given problem. In conservation of energy problems, it is important to consider the direction of forces in order to accurately calculate the total energy of a system.

2. How do you determine the vector direction in a conservation of energy problem?

To determine the vector direction, you must first identify all the forces acting on the system. Then, you can use vector addition to determine the net force and its direction. It is important to use a coordinate system and assign positive and negative directions to accurately represent the vector direction.

3. Why is vector direction important in conservation of energy problems?

Vector direction is important because it affects the total energy of a system. In conservation of energy problems, the direction of forces can determine whether energy is being added to or taken away from the system. This information is crucial in calculating the final energy state of the system.

4. What are some common mistakes when determining vector direction in conservation of energy problems?

One common mistake is not considering the direction of all forces acting on the system. It is important to identify and account for all forces, including those that may be acting in opposite directions. Another mistake is not using a consistent coordinate system, which can lead to incorrect calculations of net force and energy.

5. How can understanding vector direction improve problem-solving in conservation of energy?

Understanding vector direction allows for more accurate and precise calculations in conservation of energy problems. By considering the direction of forces, you can determine the total energy of a system more accurately and make more informed decisions about the behavior of the system. This can lead to better problem-solving and a deeper understanding of energy conservation principles.