Discrete Math implications by rules of inference

In summary: Since p and q are both premises, they can be used at any point in the proof. Additionally, since q was deduced in step 3, it is now considered a known fact within the proof and can also be used at any point.
r0bHadz

Homework Statement

p→(q→r)
¬q →¬p
p
-----------------------
∴r

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My book gives the following solution:

(1) p - premise
(2) ¬q→¬p premise
(3) q, (1) and (2) and rule of detachment,
(4) p and q, law of conjuctive addition

Can anyone explain to me why you can use p on step 4?
Since in step 3, you are using step 1 and step 2, and p comes from step 1

Does the p not get "used" up? I don't understand why you're able to use it again.

Physics news on Phys.org
No the p does not get used up. Since it is a given assumption rather than a hypothesis used to open a conditional proof, it is valid throughout the proof. The only case where statements get 'used up' is where they are made in a conditional proof, in which case they are not valid outside the conditional proof. Since there are no conditional proofs used in what you wrote above, that does not happen here.

Likes r0bHadz
andrewkirk said:
No the p does not get used up. Since it is a given assumption rather than a hypothesis used to open a conditional proof, it is valid throughout the proof. The only case where statements get 'used up' is where they are made in a conditional proof, in which case they are not valid outside the conditional proof. Since there are no conditional proofs used in what you wrote above, that does not happen here.

Hmm great explanation.

Am I right when i say, so because P is the premise, I can use that whenever I want because its never going to not be the premise?

Similarly, because I deducted q in step 3, I can always use q just like I can always use p?

r0bHadz said:
Hmm great explanation.

Am I right when i say, so because P is the premise, I can use that whenever I want because its never going to not be the premise?

Similarly, because I deducted q in step 3, I can always use q just like I can always use p?
Yes. Both of those are valid.

Likes r0bHadz

1. What is Discrete Math and how does it relate to rules of inference?

Discrete Math is a branch of mathematics that deals with objects that can only take on distinct, separate values. It is used to study and analyze discrete structures, such as graphs, networks, and logical statements. Rules of inference are logical rules that are used to draw conclusions from given premises, making them essential tools in Discrete Math for solving problems and proving theorems.

2. What are the implications of rules of inference in Discrete Math?

The implications of rules of inference in Discrete Math are vast and significant. These rules allow us to construct valid arguments, derive new statements from existing ones, and ultimately prove mathematical statements and theorems. They also help us to analyze and manipulate logical statements and make deductions based on their structure.

3. Can you give an example of a rule of inference in Discrete Math?

One example of a rule of inference in Discrete Math is the Modus Ponens rule, which states that if we have a conditional statement "If p, then q" and we know that p is true, then we can conclude that q is also true. For example, if we know that "If it is raining, then the ground is wet" and we observe that it is indeed raining, then we can infer that the ground is wet.

4. How do rules of inference help in problem-solving in Discrete Math?

Rules of inference provide a systematic approach for solving problems in Discrete Math. By using these rules, we can break down complex statements and arguments into simpler ones, making it easier to analyze and manipulate them. This allows us to make logical deductions and arrive at new conclusions, helping us to solve problems and prove theorems.

5. Are there any limitations to the application of rules of inference in Discrete Math?

While rules of inference are powerful tools in Discrete Math, they do have some limitations. These rules can only be applied to statements that are expressed in a logical form, such as conditional statements and logical connectives. They also rely on the accuracy and validity of the given premises, so if the premises are not true, then the conclusions drawn from them may also be false.