Discrete math textbook problem

In summary, for the function f(x) = {(x,y) \in R \times R \vert x = \sqrt{y+3}}, the domain is {x >= 0} and the range is {y >= -3}. And for the function g = {(\alpha,\beta) \vert \alpha is a person, \beta is a person, \alpha is the father of \beta}, the domain is the set of all people who are fathers and the image is the set of all people who have fathers.
icantadd

Homework Statement

find the domain and image of f such that
f(x) = {(x,y) [tex] \in R \times R \vert x = \sqrt{y+3} [/tex]
and domain and image of g such that
g = {[tex] (\alpha,\beta) \vert \alpha is a person, \beta is a person, \alpha is the father of \beta [/tex]

Homework Equations

the domain and image are what would be expected of domain and image. No unstandard definitions.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the answers in the back of the book are wrong. I will state my answers, the ones in the book have the opposite for domain and range (although it is a copyright 2009 book). It is also possible that I am wrong.

okay for f, the function can be rewritten by substituing [tex] \sqrt{y+3} [/tex] for x.Then ,
f = {[tex] (\sqrt{y+3},y) \vert y \in R [/tex]. This means that the domain will consist of values that are bigger or equal to -3. So, [tex] dom f = \{x \vert x \in R , x \geq -3 \} [/tex]. And following that, the image of f is the set of values that are greater than or equal to zero. [tex] I am f = \{y \vert y \in R, y \geq 0 \}[/tex].

For the second one. The domain is all people who are fathers, and the image is all people.(assuming that any person has a father where father denotes only a biological relationship).

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first problem, and assuming that by domain the text's author means the set of x values, x has to be >= 0. The range is {y >= -3}.

Mark44 said:
For the first problem, and assuming that by domain the text's author means the set of x values, x has to be >= 0. The range is {y >= -3}.

Ah yes, because [tex] x = \sqrt{y+3} [/tex], it would be impossible to have an x that is negative. Although, in case y is as small as possible, x can be zero. Thus, x >= 0. Now on the case of y, flip the radical and get that y = x^2 - 3. x >= 0, thus y >= -3. I see, I guess I fell into the trap the author wanted me to fall into.

Now for the second one. Was I wrong here too? I think I am right, but now I am confused?
let P = the set of all people
let R(a,b) be the relation that a is the father of b.

g = [tex] \{ (\alpha,\beta) \vert \alpha,\beta \in P, R(\alpha,\beta) \} [/tex]

The domain of the function g should be the set of all people who are fathers. The image should be the set of all people who have fathers, in other words, all people. Is this correct?

Related to Discrete math textbook problem

1. What is discrete math?

Discrete math is a branch of mathematics that deals with objects that can only take on distinct, separate values. It is used to study and solve problems related to counting, logic, and algorithms.

2. What types of problems are typically found in a discrete math textbook?

Discrete math textbooks typically contain problems related to counting, graph theory, set theory, logic, and probability.

3. How is discrete math different from other branches of mathematics?

Discrete math deals with finite or countable sets of objects, while other branches of math, such as calculus or algebra, deal with continuous values. Discrete math also focuses on solving problems using logical and algorithmic methods rather than purely numerical methods.

4. Are there any real-world applications of discrete math?

Yes, discrete math has many real-world applications, including computer science, cryptography, network optimization, and data analysis. It also provides the foundation for many other branches of mathematics and has applications in engineering, economics, and social sciences.

5. How can I improve my understanding of discrete math textbook problems?

To improve your understanding of discrete math textbook problems, it is important to practice solving a variety of problems, attend lectures or study groups, and seek help from a tutor or professor if needed. It can also be helpful to connect the concepts to real-world applications to gain a deeper understanding of their relevance and use.