Discrete type normal distribution

In summary, the discrete type normal distribution is a probability distribution that models the behavior of discrete random variables. It is a type of normal distribution that is used to describe the probability of discrete outcomes occurring in a given range. It is characterized by a bell-shaped curve and its parameters include the mean and standard deviation. The distribution is commonly used in statistics and is helpful in analyzing and predicting discrete data.
Ad VanderVen
TL;DR Summary
How to prove that a certain discrete type normal distribution has as expectation ##\mu## and variance ##\sigma^2##.
The following is given:
$$\displaystyle P(K = k) = \frac{1}{2}~\frac{\sqrt{2}~e^{-\frac{1}{2}~\frac{\left(k -\mu \right)^{2}}{\sigma ^{2}}}}{\sigma ~\sqrt{\pi }}$$
How can you prove that the following equalities are correct?
$$\displaystyle \sum _{k=-\infty }^{\infty }1/2\,{\frac { \sqrt{2}}{\sigma\, \sqrt{\pi }}{{\rm e}^{-1/2\,{\frac { \left( k-\mu \right) ^{2}}{{\sigma}^{2}}}}}}=1,$$
$$\displaystyle \sum _{k=-\infty }^{\infty }1/2\,{\frac {k \sqrt{2}}{\sigma\, \sqrt{\pi }}{{\rm e}^{-1/2\,{\frac { \left( k-\mu \right) ^{2}}{{\sigma}^{2}}}}}}=\mu,$$
and
$$\displaystyle \sum _{k=-\infty }^{\infty }1/2\,{\frac { \left( k-\mu \right) ^{2} \sqrt{2} }{\sigma\, \sqrt{\pi }}{{\rm e}^{-1/2\,{\frac { \left( k-\mu \right) ^{2}}{{\sigma}^{2}}}}}}={\sigma}^{2}$$

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you assuming that the formula you are given is a probability distribution with that mean and expectation, or are you trying to prove that it works?

Office_Shredder said:
Are you assuming that the formula you are given is a probability distribution with that mean and expectation, or are you trying to prove that it works?
I assume that the formula I have given describes a discrete probability distribution with expectation ##\mu## and standard deviation ##\sigma## and my question is whether that assumption is correct.

Reference: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/discrete-type-normal-distribution.1046309/

Office_Shredder said:
I don't think this actually works?
For example when ##\mu=0## and ##\sigma=1##, unless I typo'd the probabilities only add up to about 0.57

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input?i=sum_{k=-infty}^{infty}+sqrt(2)/(2pi)+e^(-(k^2)/2)
Sorry, but with ##\mu = 0## and ##\sigma = 1## I obtain with Maple:
$$\displaystyle \sum _{x=-1000}^{1000}1/2\,{\frac { \sqrt{2}{{\rm e}^{-1/2\,{x}^{2}}}}{ \sqrt{\pi }}}=1,$$
$$\displaystyle \sum _{x=-1000}^{1000}1/2\,{\frac {x \sqrt{2}{{\rm e}^{-1/2\,{x}^{2}}}}{ \sqrt{\pi }}}=0$$
and
$$\displaystyle \sum _{x=-1000}^{1000}1/2\,{\frac {{x}^{2} \sqrt{2}{{\rm e}^{-1/2\,{x}^{2}}}}{ \sqrt{\pi }}}=0.99999$$

Sorry, I missed a square root around the pi in my attempt.

Fascinating. I'll think about it.Edit: the probabilities sum to 1 I think is a consequence of the fact that the Fourier transform of a gaussian is another gaussian, plus parseval's theorem.

This probably works for the other parts too, adding polynomial multipliers just yields polynomial multipliers on the other end, e.g.

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input?i=fourier+transform+x^2e^(-x^2)

Last edited:
Office_Shredder said:
Sorry, I missed a square root around the pi in my attempt.

Fascinating. I'll think about it.Edit: the probabilities sum to 1 I think is a consequence of the fact that the Fourier transform of a gaussian is another gaussian, plus parseval's theorem.

This probably works for the other parts too, adding polynomial multipliers just yields polynomial multipliers on the other end, e.g.

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input?i=fourier+transform+x^2e^(-x^2)
So dear Office_Schredder,

So what could be your final conclusion?

Ad VanderVen said:
So dear Office_Schredder,

So what could be your final conclusion?
Have you learned about Fourier series?

Ad VanderVen said:
Summary: How to prove that a certain discrete type normal distribution has as expectation ##\mu## and variance ##\sigma^2##.

The following is given:
$$\displaystyle P(K = k) = \frac{1}{2}~\frac{\sqrt{2}~e^{-\frac{1}{2}~\frac{\left(k -\mu \right)^{2}}{\sigma ^{2}}}}{\sigma ~\sqrt{\pi }}$$
How can you prove that the following equalities are correct?
$$\displaystyle \sum _{k=-\infty }^{\infty }1/2\,{\frac { \sqrt{2}}{\sigma\, \sqrt{\pi }}{{\rm e}^{-1/2\,{\frac { \left( k-\mu \right) ^{2}}{{\sigma}^{2}}}}}}=1,$$
$$\displaystyle \sum _{k=-\infty }^{\infty }1/2\,{\frac {k \sqrt{2}}{\sigma\, \sqrt{\pi }}{{\rm e}^{-1/2\,{\frac { \left( k-\mu \right) ^{2}}{{\sigma}^{2}}}}}}=\mu,$$
and
$$\displaystyle \sum _{k=-\infty }^{\infty }1/2\,{\frac { \left( k-\mu \right) ^{2} \sqrt{2} }{\sigma\, \sqrt{\pi }}{{\rm e}^{-1/2\,{\frac { \left( k-\mu \right) ^{2}}{{\sigma}^{2}}}}}}={\sigma}^{2}$$

Have I not already addressed these questions here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...iscrete-random-variable.1013035/#post-6657061

using Poisson's summation formula? They are not exactly correct, but they are correct to a very good approximation.

EDIT: When I said "They are not exactly correct, but they are correct to a very good approximation." I was referring to your formulas, not my own. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
Office_Shredder said:
Have you learned about Fourier series?
I heard about Fourier series. However, I know nothing about it.

Ad VanderVen said:
I am not interested in appoximations. I simply want direct prove.

When I said "They are not exactly correct, but they are correct to a very good approximation." I was referring to your formula, not my own. Sorry for the confusion.

The expressions that I arrived at using Poisson's summation formula were exact! Using these expressions, we considered some examples and showed, in those cases, that the formula you think are equalities are not actually equalities! They were only approximately equal!

There are going to be a lot more cases where they are not actually equalities.

Last edited:
The following expressions (derived using Poisson's summation formula) are exact:

$$
\sum_{k=-\infty}^\infty 1/2 \dfrac{\sqrt{2}}{ \sigma\sqrt{\pi}}e^{-(k - \mu)^2/2 \sigma^2} = 1 + 2 \sum_{m=1}^\infty e^{ - m^2 \pi^2 2 \sigma^2} \cos 2 \pi m \mu .
$$

and

\begin{align*}
\sum_{k=-\infty}^\infty 1/2 \dfrac{k \sqrt{2}}{\sigma\sqrt{\pi}} e^{- (k - \mu)^2 / 2 \sigma^2} &= \mu +
2 \mu \sum_{m=1}^\infty e^{ - m^2 \pi^2 2 \sigma^2} \cos 2 \pi m \mu
\nonumber \\
& - 4 \sigma^2 \pi \sum_{m = 1}^\infty m e^{- m^2 \pi^2 2 \sigma^2} \sin 2 \pi m \mu .
\end{align*}

and

\begin{align*}
\sum_{k=-\infty}^\infty 1/2 \dfrac{(k - \mu)^2 \sqrt{2}}{\sigma \sqrt{\pi}} e^{- (k - \mu)^2 / 2 \sigma^2} &= \sigma^2 - \; 2 \sigma^2 \sum_{m = 1}^\infty (2 \pi m^2 - 1) e^{- m^2 \pi^2 2 \sigma^2} \cos 2 \pi m \mu
\end{align*}

Your formula are only correct if the sums on the right hand side happen to add up to zero. But that will only happen for some values of ##\mu## and ##\sigma## (sorry, I'm too preoccupied at the moment to look into that issue in any detail. Maybe others can help you do that.)

To see the proof of the above expressions see posts #15 and #16 of the other thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...iscrete-random-variable.1013035/#post-6657061

Last edited:

1. What is a discrete type normal distribution?

A discrete type normal distribution is a probability distribution that represents the likelihood of a discrete variable taking on a certain value. It is a type of normal distribution where the variable can only take on integer values, rather than any real number.

2. How is a discrete type normal distribution different from a continuous type normal distribution?

A discrete type normal distribution differs from a continuous type normal distribution in that it only allows for integer values, whereas a continuous type allows for any real number. This means that the probability of a specific value occurring in a discrete type is always 0, while it is possible in a continuous type.

3. What are some real-world examples of a discrete type normal distribution?

Some real-world examples of a discrete type normal distribution include the number of children in a family, the number of pets in a household, and the number of goals scored in a soccer game. These variables can only take on integer values and are often distributed in a bell-shaped curve.

4. How is the mean and standard deviation calculated for a discrete type normal distribution?

The mean and standard deviation for a discrete type normal distribution can be calculated using the following formulas:

Mean = ∑(x * P(x)), where x represents the value and P(x) represents the probability of that value occurring.

Standard deviation = √∑((x - mean)^2 * P(x)), where x represents the value and P(x) represents the probability of that value occurring.

5. What is the significance of a discrete type normal distribution in statistics?

A discrete type normal distribution is significant in statistics because it allows us to model and analyze real-world data that is discrete in nature. It also allows us to make predictions and calculate probabilities for future events based on past data. Additionally, many statistical tests and methods rely on the assumption of normality, making a normal distribution an important concept in statistical analysis.