Discrete Voltage Regulator w/ BJTs

In summary, the conversation was about designing a voltage regulator using BJTs, Zeners, and resistors without using an IC. The person was struggling with finding a basic design and good line regulation. They were given hints about using a BJT voltage follower and a resistor divider, and also directed to resources for further information and help with the design. The conversation also touched on using an error-correcting op-amp in the design and the possibility of using a common collector configuration for a voltage follower.
Lubbar
Hi,
My problem is very simple, I have a project in which I have to design a voltage regulator out of discrete BJTs, Zeners and resistors etc. the only limitation is that I cannot use an IC. I would prefer not using a zener because i would like to make the output variable through a voltage divider bias if possible.
the main problem is that i have looked around a lot, tried to attempt a lot, but i have no idea about any basic design that would allow me to make a low-dropout voltage regulator with mentioned elements. i would be very grateful if someone could nudge me in the right direction, i do not ask for a specific answer, just a general explanation so that i can start working on it and tweak the design as much as i can to my specifications.
let's suppose i have a 15 V V(in) and need a 10 V V(out), with as good load and line regulation. can anybody point me to a basic configuration which could allow me to accomplish the task? or any simple configuration that let's the BJT to act as a voltage regulator?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lubbar said:
Hi,
My problem is very simple, I have a project in which I have to design a voltage regulator out of discrete BJTs, Zeners and resistors etc. the only limitation is that I cannot use an IC. I would prefer not using a zener because i would like to make the output variable through a voltage divider bias if possible.
the main problem is that i have looked around a lot, tried to attempt a lot, but i have no idea about any basic design that would allow me to make a low-dropout voltage regulator with mentioned elements. i would be very grateful if someone could nudge me in the right direction, i do not ask for a specific answer, just a general explanation so that i can start working on it and tweak the design as much as i can to my specifications.
let's suppose i have a 15 V V(in) and need a 10 V V(out), with as good load and line regulation. can anybody point me to a basic configuration which could allow me to accomplish the task? or any simple configuration that let's the BJT to act as a voltage regulator?

Welcome to PhysicsForums!

Here's a hint: What is the purpose of a BJT Voltage Follower?

NOTE: a resistor divider does not give good line regulation (variations in input voltage).

Good luck!

Yeah i did make a circuit in which i used CE configuration for two NPN transistors, one after the other, where the voltage at the base of Q1 was set by a rheostat and the base of Q2 was attached to the emitter of Q1.
Pathetic line regulation, as you pointed out, yet it may be because i have no idea what a voltage follower is :(
I have tried many sites, but all of them show followers with op-amps :(
any help there?
and yeah, thanks for the help :)

Lubbar said:
Yeah i did make a circuit in which i used CE configuration for two NPN transistors, one after the other, where the voltage at the base of Q1 was set by a rheostat and the base of Q2 was attached to the emitter of Q1.
Pathetic line regulation, as you pointed out, yet it may be because i have no idea what a voltage follower is :(
any help there?
You can consider an op-amp as pretty much a BJT circuit that's designed to have a specific gain. But ask, and ye shall receive. http://www.national.com/appinfo/power/files/f4.pdf" , and see the datasheets and application notes corresponding to the voltage regulators you see there. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I did look at the paper you referred me to, but still there is one little problem that I'm having. All these designs use an error-correcting op-amp. I understand it's simply a negative feedback comparator kinda thing, no? or is there something else to it? in any case, I can't use an IC, so how do i go about doing this thing?

Lubbar said:
I did look at the paper you referred me to, but still there is one little problem that I'm having. All these designs use an error-correcting op-amp. I understand it's simply a negative feedback comparator kinda thing, no? or is there something else to it? in any case, I can't use an IC, so how do i go about doing this thing?
http://www.satcure-focus.com/tutor/page5.htm"
I'm amazed that you can Google just about anything these days...

Last edited by a moderator:
Lubbar said:
any help there?

You're over-complicating things. A BJT *IS* a voltage follower (in the right configuration). For small variations in current, the base-emitter voltage is pretty constant (and in any case, roughly 0.7V). The common collector configuration is typically known as a voltage (or emitter) follower:
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_4/6.html

Now, how would you go about generating a reference voltage to follow? Under what circumstances would it work? Are these good assumptions when using a common collector configuration?

Related to Discrete Voltage Regulator w/ BJTs

1. What is a discrete voltage regulator with BJTs?

A discrete voltage regulator with BJTs is a type of electronic circuit that uses bipolar junction transistors (BJTs) to regulate the output voltage of a power supply. It is commonly used in electronic devices to provide a stable and consistent supply of power.

2. How does a discrete voltage regulator with BJTs work?

A discrete voltage regulator with BJTs works by using the transistors to control the amount of current flowing through the circuit. As the input voltage increases, the transistors adjust to maintain a constant output voltage. This is achieved through a feedback mechanism that continuously monitors and adjusts the output voltage.

3. What are the advantages of using a discrete voltage regulator with BJTs?

There are several advantages to using a discrete voltage regulator with BJTs. These include high efficiency, low cost, and the ability to handle high currents. Additionally, BJTs are reliable and have a long lifespan, making them a popular choice for voltage regulation in electronic devices.

4. What are the common uses for a discrete voltage regulator with BJTs?

A discrete voltage regulator with BJTs can be found in a variety of electronic devices, including computers, mobile phones, and power supplies. They are also commonly used in automotive and industrial applications, where a stable and regulated power supply is essential.

5. Are there any limitations to using a discrete voltage regulator with BJTs?

While there are many benefits to using a discrete voltage regulator with BJTs, there are also some limitations. These include a limited input voltage range and the need for heat sinks to dissipate excess heat. Additionally, BJTs may not be suitable for applications that require very precise and stable voltage regulation.