Disney's movie Ice Princess mistake?

In summary, the conversation discussed a potential mistake in the movie "Ice Princess" where the character incorrectly explains the concept of moment of inertia. The conversation also touched on the impact this mistake could have on young viewers and speculated that it may have been an intentional choice for aesthetic purposes.
tonks
Disney's movie "Ice Princess" mistake?

so I watched the movie over the summer...
here's word for word out of the script

"Now, l'm going to increase
the centripetal force
by tucking in my arms.
This will increase
my moment of inertia,
so l will spin...faster."

so it's been bugging the hell out of me...if she pulled her arms in, wouldn't that decrease her moment of inertia to make her spin faster...to conserve angular momentum?

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yep, the script is wrong.

that's depressing then...Disney is going to mess up all those poor kids who actually listened to the physics in the movie

I think it was an aesthetic choice, not a mistake, because "increase" sounds more positive and because I could not imagine someone who had heard of moment of inertia getting the concept so exactly wrong.

haha that is funny

What is the mistake in Disney's movie Ice Princess?

The most frequently mentioned mistake in Disney's movie Ice Princess is the physics of figure skating. Many viewers have pointed out that the jumps and spins performed by the characters are not physically possible, and do not follow the laws of physics.

Why did Disney make this mistake in Ice Princess?

It is likely that Disney prioritized the visual appeal and excitement of the skating scenes over accuracy and realism. The movie was also geared towards a younger audience, so the focus may have been more on entertainment rather than accuracy.

Have the filmmakers addressed this mistake?

There is no official statement from the filmmakers addressing the mistake. However, some sources suggest that the director, Tim Fywell, intentionally chose to prioritize the visual appeal of the skating scenes over accuracy.

Are there any other mistakes in Disney's Ice Princess?

Aside from the physics of figure skating, some viewers have pointed out minor inconsistencies and errors in the movie, such as incorrect skating terminology and the portrayal of certain skating elements.

Does the mistake in Ice Princess affect the overall enjoyment of the movie?

This is subjective and may vary from viewer to viewer. Some may not be bothered by the mistake and still enjoy the movie, while others may find it distracting and affect their enjoyment. Ultimately, it is up to individual preference.