Dispersion Relations in Cold Plasma waves

In summary, the student is trying to solve for the dispersion relation for a high frequency wave in a cold magnetized plasma. He is using the relation k^2*c^2 = ω^2 -ω^2(pe) to find the cut-off frequency. However, he is incorrect and needs to use ω(pe) = 1.7*10^12 rad/s.
Firben

Homework Statement

Im stuck on a old exam in plasma physics. It is about how to determine dispersion relations for high frequency waves in cold plasma's. I'm not sure how they do in the solution manual.

Homework Equations

B = B_0z^
E = E_0exp(i(kx-wt))z^

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution manual:
http://s716.photobucket.com/user/Pitoraq/media/IMG_20170512_170136_zps0e1g7onu.jpg.html

My attempt to find the solution:
http://s716.photobucket.com/user/Pitoraq/media/IMG_20170512_170131_zps2f7nwaui.jpg.html

My question is marked "why" in the above link. Why is S^2 - D^2 = 1 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
You never actually listed the problem you are trying to solve. You are clearly looking for a particular case of the dispersion relation but are not telling us what it is. Please state the problem and define the relevant quantities. From the solutions manual I think I know what the problem is - but from your solution it is clear that you think it is a different problem.

By the way, with the standard definitions (which your reference seems to follow?) ##S^2 - D^2 \neq 1##.

jason

Ok
A high frequency electromagnetic wave in a cold magnetized plasma with the density n_0 is polarized with the electromagnetic field in the same direction as the magnetic field B_0 = B_0z^. Namely
E^~ = E_0exp(i(kx-ωt))z^
1) Determine the dispersion relation for the wave
2) Determine the cut-off frequency

My attempt for the solution is in the link
http://s716.photobucket.com/user/Pitoraq/media/IMG_20170512_170131_zps2f7nwaui.jpg.html

2)
Here i used the relation k^2*c^2 = ω^2 -ω^2(pe)
cut off is when k = 0 <=>
ω(pe) (The plasma frequency) = sqrt(n_0*e^2)/(ε_0*m_e)) ≈ 3.08968 × 10^10 rad/s
where ε_0 is permittivity of free space and m_e is the electron mass
which is incorrect, it sohuld be ω(pe) = 1.7*10^12 rad/s
The wave should be reflected f < f(pe)

Thanks for clarifying. Notice that the electric field only has a z component. It doesn't seem like you have used that fact, yet.

Yes i know. But i still don't see why S^2−D^2≠1 has to be the case. And why is the plasma frequency wrong ?

Firben said:
But i still don't see why S^2−D^2≠1 has to be the case.
If you do the algebra it should be clear. In any case, if you think about the actual problem you are solving you will find that you never need to calculate it at all. Look at my previous post.

Firben said:
And why is the plasma frequency wrong ?
What plasma frequency? The problem you posted has no numbers. I cannot help you when you don't post the actual question you are answering.

1. What is a dispersion relation in cold plasma waves?

A dispersion relation in cold plasma waves is a mathematical expression that describes the relationship between the frequency and the wave vector of an electromagnetic wave propagating through a cold plasma. It determines the properties of the wave, such as its phase velocity and polarization.

2. How is a dispersion relation in cold plasma waves different from other dispersion relations?

A dispersion relation in cold plasma waves is unique because it takes into account the effects of plasma, which is an ionized gas. This results in the wave behaving differently compared to waves propagating through other mediums, such as vacuum or air.

3. What is the significance of dispersion relations in cold plasma waves?

Dispersion relations in cold plasma waves are important because they help us understand the behavior of electromagnetic waves in a plasma, which is a common medium in space. They also allow us to predict and control the properties of these waves, which has applications in various fields such as plasma physics and telecommunications.

4. How are dispersion relations in cold plasma waves derived?

Dispersion relations in cold plasma waves are derived by solving the electromagnetic wave equations in a plasma, taking into account the properties of the plasma such as its density and magnetic field. This results in a complex mathematical expression that relates the frequency and wave vector of the wave.

5. Can dispersion relations in cold plasma waves be experimentally verified?

Yes, dispersion relations in cold plasma waves can be experimentally verified by measuring the properties of the electromagnetic waves propagating through a plasma and comparing them to the predicted values from the dispersion relation. This requires specialized equipment and techniques, but it has been successfully done in various experiments.