Sound intensity and speakers

If a = λ/4, then b = 3λ/4 to achieve maximum intensity along the y-axis from a distance L. This is because at a distance L, the sound waves from all three speakers will constructively interfere with each other, resulting in a maximum intensity.
Firben

Homework Statement

Three speakers with the same effect are connected to the same tone generator are placed along the y-axis and sends out sound in equal directions. The distance a and b are in the same magnitude as the wave length of the sound.

http://s716.photobucket.com/user/Pitoraq/media/Fys21_zps1596efc1.png.html

a)
The point P is located on a distance L >> a from the speakers along the x-axis. If only one speaker is connected the intensity in the point P is 15.0 mW/m^2. Which is the total intensity when all speakers are connected ?

b)
If the distance a = λ/4, which is the smallest distance b that gives maximum intensity along the y-axis from a distance L ?

Homework Equations

I = P/A
P(0) = (2vρI)^(1/2)
I = P(0)/(2vρr^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I = P/A
ρ = 1.2929 kg/m^2 density of air
P(0) = (2vρI)^(1/2) = 115.5 pa
I = P(0)/(2vρr^2) <==> r = P(0)/(2vρI)^(1/2) = 31.62 m

If r is the distance from the point P to one of the three speakers, i don't know which one. And what do they mean with "The distance a and b are in the same magnitude as the wave length of the sound." ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The r can be the distance from any of the three speakers since L >> a. Imagine standing 1 Km away from 3 water bottles separated by 1 cm. The distance between you an any of the bottles is practically the same.

An order of magnitude is the power of 10. It just means the distances are almost similar. For example, 1*10^2 and 5*10^2 are in the same order of magnitude; 1*10^3 and 1*10^9 are NOT in the same order of magnitude.

I wonder if it should be constructive or destructive interference ?

I solved a) but on b) How can i find the maximum intensity on the y-axis, is it destructive interference ? or destructive ?

Last edited:
Since the Maximum Intensity of the wave is just the Amplitude squared: I=|A|^2 , we can deduce that the amplitude of the wave coming out of one speaker is ##\sqrt{15m}##. We also know that the Total Maximum Intensity (I say maximum because we know the in the middle -along the x-axis- there's always constructive interference) is the Sum of the Amplitudes from all three speakers squared: ##I_{total} = |A_1 + A_2 + A_3|^2 ##, but the three speakers have the same amplitude since they are connected to the same tone generator. Thus, $$ I_{total} = |3\sqrt{15}|^2 = 9*15=135mw/m^2 $$

I think i got the same result. I did this to get the total intensity

P0 = √(2vρI) = 3.65 PaI = P(0)/(2vρr^2) <==> r = P0/√(2vρI) = 1m

I = P/A <==>

3 speakers => P = 4π*(3*1)^2*15*10^-3 = 1.69 W

and the total intensity then becomes

I = 1.69 /(4π*1^2) = 0.135 w/m^2

On b)

How can i find the maximal intensity on the y-axis if a = λ/4 ?

1. What is sound intensity?

Sound intensity, also known as sound power or acoustic intensity, is a measure of the amount of sound energy passing through a given area in a given period of time. It is typically measured in watts per square meter (W/m2).

2. How is sound intensity related to loudness?

Sound intensity is directly related to loudness, but it is not the only factor that determines how loud a sound is perceived. The human ear has different sensitivities to different frequencies of sound, so the same sound intensity at different frequencies may be perceived as different loudness levels.

3. How do speakers produce sound?

Speakers produce sound by converting electrical energy into mechanical energy, which creates vibrations in the speaker cone. These vibrations then travel through the air as sound waves, which are perceived by our ears as sound.

4. What factors affect the sound intensity produced by speakers?

The sound intensity produced by speakers can be affected by a variety of factors, including the power of the amplifier, the size and design of the speaker cone, and the distance between the speaker and the listener. Additionally, the environment in which the sound is being produced can also impact the perceived sound intensity.

5. How can sound intensity be measured?

Sound intensity can be measured using a device called a sound level meter, which measures the sound pressure level (SPL) in decibels (dB). This measurement takes into account the sensitivity of the human ear and is often used to determine the potential impact of loud sounds on human hearing.