Dissolve silver using nitric acid

In summary, the conversation discusses a piece of equipment made of titanium alloy that needs to be coated with silver and then dissolved without damaging the titanium. Nitric acid is initially considered as a solution, but other options such as anodizing and electrolytically dissolving the silver are also suggested. The choice of electrolyte and potential impact on the substrate are important factors to consider.
rrg92
I have a piece of equipment that was manufactured using direct metal laser sintering made of a titanium alloy (Ti-6Al-4V). It is a cylinder with thin helical channels that is located above a vapour source in vacuum. I plan to coat it with silver, and I am looking for an effective way to eventually dissolve the silver without etching the Ti alloy. I am considering using a nitric acid solution, and would appreciate any input on whether or not this is best suited for my requirements, and if so what concentration and temperature I should choose.

Nitric acid will dissolve the titanium. If you have the option to anodise the titanium followed by deposition of the silver by autocatalytic reduction and still retain the functionality of the part, that would be the route I would consider first. Then you could dissolve the silver in nitric acid

If not, an alternative to consider would be dissolving the silver electrolytically. The choice of electrolyte would need some thought and you would probably not get all the silver off before you start dissolving the substrate.

1. How does nitric acid dissolve silver?

Nitric acid is a strong oxidizing agent, meaning it can break down the chemical bonds in silver and other metals. When nitric acid comes into contact with silver, it reacts with the surface of the metal and forms silver nitrate, which is a water-soluble compound.

2. What is the chemical equation for dissolving silver with nitric acid?

The chemical equation for dissolving silver with nitric acid is: Ag(s) + 2HNO3(aq) → AgNO3(aq) + H2O(l) + NO(g)

3. Can any concentration of nitric acid be used to dissolve silver?

No, only concentrated nitric acid (68% or higher) can effectively dissolve silver. Diluted nitric acid may not have enough strength to break down the chemical bonds in silver.

4. Is it dangerous to dissolve silver with nitric acid?

Yes, it can be dangerous to dissolve silver with nitric acid as it is a strong acid and can cause chemical burns if it comes into contact with skin. It is important to handle nitric acid with caution and wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when working with it.

5. How can I safely dispose of the silver nitrate solution after dissolving silver with nitric acid?

The silver nitrate solution can be neutralized with baking soda before being disposed of. First, slowly add baking soda to the solution until it stops fizzing. Then, let the solution sit for a few hours before pouring it down the drain with plenty of water. It is important to check with local regulations before disposing of any chemicals.