Distance and speed in spud gun

In summary, a spud gun fires a bullet by using a potato as a projectile. The spud gun is situated near the forward end of the barrel, and the bullet is fired by using an explosion to create a gas flow that pushes the potato forward. The chamber behind the spud is filled with air and gasoline, and the reaction of the two gases will produce heat.
Mirzet99

Homework Statement

I have to calculate the speed with which a spud gun fires a bullet. The length of barrel is 1 meter.

Homework Equations

v=s/t , where v=velocity; s=distance; t=time

The Attempt at a Solution

NOTE: I will easily calculate distance. I have spud gun but I don't know the way how to calculate that speed which is not average speed of bullet.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Mirzet99 said:

Homework Statement

I have to calculate the speed with which a spud gun fires a bullet. The length of barrel is 1 meter.

Homework Equations

v=s/t , where v=velocity; s=distance; t=time

The Attempt at a Solution

NOTE: I will easily calculate distance. I have spud gun but I don't know the way how to calculate that speed which is not average speed of bullet.[/B]
You cannot calculate anything without some data. The length of the barrel is clearly not enough. What else do you know or can know?

haruspex said:
You cannot calculate anything without some data. The length of the barrel is clearly not enough. What else do you know or can know?

I don't know anything else. My profesore wants me to do that but he doesn't want to tell me how. I think he doesn't know also..

Please describe how a spud gun works. (I know how a spud gun works. I'm just asking you to describe it in words). I'm sure that will give you some ideas on what you need to do to answer this question.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Please describe how a spud gun works. (I know how a spud gun works. I'm just asking you to describe it in words). I'm sure that will give you some ideas on what you need to do to answer this question.

Chet
Chestermiller said:

Chet

In barrel, I put potato. In this lower,biggest part,I put gasoline and with igniter, I burn it. Explosion happens and that gas wants to spread. But it is closed from all sides,expect this one where is potato. That's the way how it works.

Attachments

• Combustion Potato Gun Parts Final.jpg
    Combustion Potato Gun Parts Final.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 585
If I remember correctly, the spud is situated near the forward end of the barrel, correct? How far back is typical?

You need to know the volume of the chamber behind the spud. Approximately what volume is that (of air to start with). You also need to know approximately how much gasoline is injected into the chamber. So, how much??

What is the balanced equation for the reaction of air and gasoline? What is the heat of reaction of gasoline and oxygen? Based on the stoichiometry of the reaction, how many moles of gas will be in the chamber after all the gasoline has burned?

This should get you started.

Chet

What is a spud gun?

A spud gun, also known as a potato cannon, is a homemade device used to launch potatoes or other projectiles using compressed air or combustion.

How far can a spud gun shoot?

The distance a spud gun can shoot depends on several factors, including the size and shape of the barrel, the amount of air or fuel used, and the weight of the projectile. On average, a spud gun can shoot between 100-200 yards.

How do you calculate the speed of a spud gun?

The speed of a spud gun can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it takes for the projectile to reach its target. For example, if a spud gun shoots a potato 100 yards in 5 seconds, the speed would be 20 yards per second.

What are the safety precautions when using a spud gun?

When using a spud gun, it is important to wear safety goggles to protect your eyes from any debris. It is also important to never aim a spud gun at people, animals, or property. Always use caution when handling compressed air or combustible materials.

Are there any laws or regulations regarding spud guns?

Laws and regulations regarding spud guns vary by state and country. Some places may require a permit or have restrictions on the use of spud guns. It is important to research and follow the laws in your area before using a spud gun.