Distance between the first and third maximum intensity detected

In summary, the conversation discusses the correct calculation for determining the distance between consecutive maxima in a standing wave. The answer key incorrectly uses the criterion for constructive interference, but the correct argument involves calculating the differences in distances between sources for consecutive integers.
songoku
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Not sure
1664535222012.png

My answer is 0.5 m (same as wavelength) but answer key is 1 m.

I thought the maximum intensity occurs at antinode and distance between adjacent antinodes is half of wavelength so the distance between first and third antinode is one wavelength.

Where is my mistake? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Your reasoning seems good to me. The distance between consecutive maxima should be half a wave length so the distance between the first and the third should be a full wave length.

Likes songoku
Thnk you very much Orodruin

I think that the answer key answer was erroneously arrived at by starting at the criterion for constructive interference that the path length difference is an integer number of wavelengths. Then one could argue that If one starts at the midpoint and moves to the left by half a wavelength, the path length difference will be a full wavelength and two full wavelengths (1.0 m) if one skips the maximum in-between. However, this argument is flawed because the waves are traveling in opposite directions and a standing wave is set up. This can be confirmed mathematically by writing formal expressions for each wave and adding them.

Likes songoku
I don’t think it matters much exactly how the answer key got it wrong as much as the correct argument:

Letting the distance between the sources be ##L## and the distance of a point on the line between the sources to the left source ##x##, constructive interference occurs when the distances to the sources equal an integer ##n## wavelengths ##\lambda##, i.e., when
$$
(L-x)-x = n\lambda \quad \Leftrightarrow \quad
x = \frac L2 - \frac{n\lambda}{2}.
$$
Consequently, the difference in ##x## for consecutive ##n## is ##\lambda/2##.

Likes songoku

1. What is the "Distance between the first and third maximum intensity detected"?

The "Distance between the first and third maximum intensity detected" refers to the distance between the first and third peaks or highest points on a graph or data set that measures intensity. This distance is typically measured along the x-axis, which represents the independent variable.

2. Why is the "Distance between the first and third maximum intensity detected" important?

The "Distance between the first and third maximum intensity detected" is important because it can provide valuable information about the distribution and concentration of a substance or phenomenon being measured. It can also help identify patterns and trends in the data.

3. How is the "Distance between the first and third maximum intensity detected" calculated?

The "Distance between the first and third maximum intensity detected" is typically calculated by subtracting the x-coordinate of the first peak from the x-coordinate of the third peak. This value represents the distance between the two points on the graph or data set.

4. Can the "Distance between the first and third maximum intensity detected" be negative?

Yes, the "Distance between the first and third maximum intensity detected" can be negative if the third peak occurs before the first peak on the x-axis. This could happen if the data is not evenly distributed or if there is a decrease in intensity between the first and third peaks.

5. How does changing the scale of the x-axis affect the "Distance between the first and third maximum intensity detected"?

Changing the scale of the x-axis can affect the "Distance between the first and third maximum intensity detected" by altering the distance between the data points and potentially changing the position of the peaks. It is important to use a consistent scale when measuring this distance to ensure accurate results.