Distance & Distance Thrown of a Dart

• Thread starter Kpgabriel
  • Start date
In summary, the dart threwer stood 0.20 meters from the dart board and the dart arrived with a speed of 8.9 meters per second.
Kpgabriel

Homework Statement

A dart is thrown horizontally toward the bull's-eye, point P on the dart board in the figure, with an initial speed of 8.9 m/s. It hits at point Q on the rim, vertically below P 0.20 s later.
a) What is the distance PQ?
b) how far away from the dart board did the dart thrower stand?

Homework Equations

x=xi + .5(vi+vf)t
vf^2= vi^2 + 2a(xf-xi)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not really sure how to begin this problem. I know the knowns are
vi = 8.9 m/s
t= 0.20 s
vf = 0 m/s
And I believe I need to use one of the kinematic equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can we start with the basics. What do those Relevant Equations represent, and where should they be used ?

To help a bit further, ##v_f## is not zero. We want velocity when the dart arrives, not when it's embedded in the board.

Last edited:
hmmm27 said:
Can we start with the basics. What do those Relevant Equations represent, and where should they be used ?

To help a bit further, ##v_f## is not zero. We want velocity when the dart arrives, not when it's embedded in the board.
I got the distance away from the board solved but I do not think that final velocity is needed to find the y-component from P to Q. Instead, I tried to solve for the variables related to y and got.
vi = 0m/s
a = -9.8 m/s^2
t = 0.20s
Δy = ?

Okay, so what equation should be used, that you can plug those numbers into to get your Δy.

hmmm27 said:
Okay, so what equation should be used, that you can plug those numbers into to get your Δy.
you were right about the velocity. I found it with respect to y using v = vi +at and then substituting into Δy = .5(vi+vf)t which gave me the answer.

k, as long as you didn't use the same ##v_i## in 'a' as 'b'. You could have gone straight to ##d=v_it+at^2/2##

Last edited:

1. How is distance measured?

Distance is typically measured using a unit of length, such as meters or feet. In the case of a dart, the distance thrown would be measured in feet or inches. This can be done using a measuring tape or ruler.

2. What factors affect the distance a dart can be thrown?

The distance a dart can be thrown is affected by several factors, including the force applied when throwing, the weight and shape of the dart, and the angle at which it is thrown. The surface on which the dart is thrown can also play a role.

3. How do you calculate the distance thrown?

To calculate the distance thrown of a dart, you would need to measure the distance from the starting point to the point where the dart landed. This can be done using a measuring tool. The formula for calculating distance is distance = speed x time, but in the case of a dart, the speed and time may be difficult to measure accurately.

4. What is the average distance a dart can be thrown?

The average distance a dart can be thrown depends on various factors, such as the skill and strength of the person throwing, the type of dart being used, and the surface it is being thrown on. There is no specific average distance for a dart throw, as it can vary greatly.

5. Can the distance thrown of a dart be improved?

Yes, the distance thrown of a dart can be improved through practice and technique. By experimenting with different throwing angles and techniques, and by increasing arm strength, a person can improve their dart throwing distance. The weight and shape of the dart can also be adjusted to potentially improve distance.