Distance of the final image in a compound microscope

In summary,A compound microscope has an objective of focal length 12 mm and an eyepiece of focal length 50 mm. The lenses have a separation of 90 mm and an object of height 0.3 mm is placed 15 mm from the objective. Calculate: (a) the distance of the intermediate image from the objective; (b) the distance of the final image from (i) the eyepiece, (ii) the objective; (c) the size of the intermediate image; (d) the angular magnification.Answers:(a) 60 mm; (b) (i) 75 mm, (ii) 15 mm; (c) 1.2 mm; (d) 33.
moenste

Homework Statement

A compound microscope has an objective of focal length 12 mm and an eyepiece of focal length 50 mm. The lenses have a separation of 90 mm and an object of height 0.3 mm is placed 15 mm from the objective. Calculate: (a) the distance of the intermediate image from the objective; (b) the distance of the final image from (i) the eyepiece, (ii) the objective; (c) the size of the intermediate image; (d) the angular magnification.

Answers: (a) 60 mm; (b) (i) 75 mm, (ii) 15 mm; (c) 1.2 mm; (d) 33.3

2. The attempt at a solution
(a) (1 / u) + (1 / v) = (1 / f)
u = 15 mm, f = 12 mm. Plug in and v = 60 mm

(c) (h / ho) = (v / u)
ho = 0.3 mm, v = 60 mm, u = 15 mm. Plug in and h = 1.2 mm

(d) M = β / α
α = ho / D = 0.3 / 250 = 1.2 * 10-3
β = h / (90 mm - 30 mm) = 0.04
M = 33.3

But (b)? I used this graph from the book for my question.
145e5c540df9.jpg

And according to this graph the distance of the final image (final virtual image) from the eyepiece is D and is 250 mm. And the distance from FVI to the objective should be more than 15 mm. Maybe I don't quite understand what shall I find. Really stuck on this one. Any help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to find the position of the final image, made by the eyepiece lens. The object is the first image. What is the object distance?

Likes moenste
ehild said:
You need to find the position of the final image, made by the eyepiece lens. The object is the first image. What is the object distance?
By object you mean "intermediate real image"?

Is it something like this:
From (a) we have v = 60 mm for the obj. lens. So u = 30 for the eyepiece lens.

1 / 30 + 1 / v = 1 / 50
v = - 75 mm. So the distance from the eyepiece is 75 mm and the image is virtual.

Because S = 90 mm, 90 - 75 = 15 mm, distance from the objective.

Is this right? And why is it -75 but in the answer it's just 75? And is the 90-75 way a correct way to find 15 mm? And how come it is not negative?

Sorry for so many questions, a bit confused on this part.

You're doing fine. The -75 is correct, and it's a position on a coordinate axis with the objective at the origin.
The book answer is |-75| mm = 75 mm because they ask for a distance.
And yes, the virtual image is at position (+90) + (-75) wrt the objective (*), so at | +15| = 15 mm distance from the objective.

(*) relative position wrt objective = relative position of ocular wrt objective + relative position of virtual image wrt ocular

--

Likes moenste

1. What is the distance of the final image in a compound microscope?

The distance of the final image in a compound microscope is the distance between the objective lens and the eyepiece lens. This distance is typically around 160 millimeters, but it can vary depending on the specific microscope model.

2. How is the distance of the final image determined in a compound microscope?

The distance of the final image is determined by the focal length of the objective lens and the eyepiece lens. To calculate the distance, you can use the formula: Distance = Focal Length of Objective Lens + Focal Length of Eyepiece Lens.

3. Why is the distance of the final image important in a compound microscope?

The distance of the final image is important because it affects the magnification and clarity of the image. If the distance is not set correctly, the image may appear blurry or distorted. It also impacts the field of view and depth of field of the microscope.

4. Can the distance of the final image be adjusted in a compound microscope?

Yes, the distance of the final image can be adjusted in a compound microscope. Most microscopes have a mechanism to adjust the distance, such as a coarse and fine focus knob. It is important to adjust the distance carefully to achieve the desired magnification and clarity.

5. How does the distance of the final image affect the working distance in a compound microscope?

The working distance in a compound microscope is the distance between the objective lens and the specimen. This distance is indirectly affected by the distance of the final image because it determines the size of the image projected onto the eyepiece. A shorter distance of the final image will result in a shorter working distance and vice versa.