angle of 90 degrees to the horizontal, with an initial
velocity of 50 m/s. Ignoring air resistance, what
will be the rider’s height at t = 1.5, t = 4 and t = 6
seconds?
Relevant Equations
unsure
dont know where to start. Other than it will take 5 seconds for v = 0m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
What equations have been mentioned in class or your textbook so far? Look at them, think about what they mean, one or more of them will be relevant.

Nugatory said:
What equations have been mentioned in class or your textbook so far? Look at them, think about what they mean, one or more of them will be relevant.
I don’t have any to go off of. I’m reviewing physics (haven’t had it in 5 years) and am stuck on this type of problem, so additional help would be appreciated. Thanks

brslagle said:
Homework Statement: An amusement park ride launches a rider at an
angle of 90 degrees to the horizontal, with an initial
velocity of 50 m/s. Ignoring air resistance, what
will be the rider’s height at t = 1.5, t = 4 and t = 6
seconds?
Relevant Equations: unsure

dont know where to start. Other than it will take 5 seconds for v = 0m/s
It is a constant acceleration problem. Read https://www.ncl.ac.uk/webtemplate/a...mechanics/kinematics/equations-of-motion.html.

brslagle said:
I don’t have any to go off of. I’m reviewing physics (haven’t had it in 5 years) and am stuck on this type of problem, so additional help would be appreciated. Thanks
Alternatively, try the Khan Academy. It seems you need a course in physics, not just a bit of help:

https://www.khanacademy.org/science/physics

Likes brslagle
brslagle said:
Google for “SUVAT equations “. They relate speed, distance, and acceleration.

Likes brslagle
Nugatory said:
That's why I recommend Khan Academy. That's a reliable source for SUVAT.

Likes Nugatory
Nugatory said:
Thanks so much! That got me where I needed to be.

PeroK said:
Alternatively, try the Khan Academy. It seems you need a course in physics, not just a bit of help:

https://www.khanacademy.org/science/physics
Thanks. The SUVAT problems were the only questions I was having issues on, so I dont think an entire course is necessary, but thanks for the suggestion.

• Sad
Likes PeroK

1. How is distance traveled affected when decreasing velocity?

When decreasing velocity, the distance traveled will decrease as well. This is because velocity is the rate at which an object's position changes over time, so when it decreases, the object is covering less distance in a given amount of time.

2. Does the distance traveled always decrease when velocity decreases?

Not necessarily. If the object is initially moving at a high velocity and then decreases to a lower velocity, the distance traveled may still be greater than if the object had started at the lower velocity. However, if the object is continuously decreasing in velocity, the distance traveled will also decrease.

3. How does the time taken to decrease velocity affect the distance traveled?

The longer it takes for the velocity to decrease, the greater the distance traveled will be. This is because the object is moving at a higher velocity for a longer period of time, covering more distance in that time.

4. Can an object cover a greater distance when decreasing velocity compared to when increasing velocity?

Yes, this is possible. When an object is decreasing velocity, it is still moving forward and covering distance, whereas when it is increasing velocity, it may be starting from a stationary position and covering less distance in the same amount of time.

5. How does acceleration affect the distance traveled when decreasing velocity?

Acceleration can affect the distance traveled when decreasing velocity in a few ways. If the acceleration is in the opposite direction of the velocity, it can decrease the distance traveled even further. However, if the acceleration is in the same direction as the velocity, it can counteract the decrease in velocity and potentially increase the distance traveled.