Distances where electrostatic potential is zero

In summary: Can you write down an equation that sets the total electric potential of the system equal to zero?In summary, the question is asking to calculate the distances from the particle at which the electrostatic potential is zero. This can be solved by setting up an equation with the total potential (0) equal to the potential due to the point charge (+q), the thick shell (-3q), and the thin shell (+3q). The unknown distance, r, can then be solved for by setting this equation to zero and solving for r.
Sunbodi

Homework Statement

A particle carrying charge +q is placed at the center of a thick-walled conducting shell that has inner radius R and outer radius 2R and carries charge −3q. A thin-walled conducting shell of radius 5R carries charge +3q and is concentric with the thick-walled shell. Define V = 0 at infinity.

Part A
Calculate all distances from the particle at which the electrostatic potential is zero.
Check all that apply.

Check all that apply.
r=10/3R
r=11/5R
r=5/6R
r=5/7R

Homework Equations

V=kQ/r

The Attempt at a Solution

0 = 1Q/R - 3Q/2R + 3Q/5R

0 = Q/10R

1/10th R is not in any of the solutions. I wonder what I'm doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sunbodi said:

The Attempt at a Solution

0 = 1Q/R - 3Q/2R + 3Q/5R
On the right side of this equation you have several terms.

Let's take the first term: 1Q/R.

How would you describe in words what this term represents?

TSny said:
On the right side of this equation you have several terms.

Let's take the first term: 1Q/R.

How would you describe in words what this term represents?

I miswrote it, it should be 1kQ/R but I don't think the k constant matters as much. 1kQ/R to me just means 1 volt.

Sunbodi said:
I miswrote it, it should be 1kQ/R but I don't think the k constant matters as much. 1kQ/R to me just means 1 volt.
OK, I wasn't worried about the factor of k. But, can you explain why you wrote this term 1kQ/R? What does it represent?

TSny said:
OK, I wasn't worried about the factor of k. But, can you explain why you wrote this term 1kQ/R? What does it represent?
It's the charge of the particle on the inner radius of the thick conducting shell. That's what I thought at least.

Sunbodi said:
It's the charge of the particle on the inner radius of the thick conducting shell. That's what I thought at least.
Q is a charge. But kQ/R does not represent a charge.

Also, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "the particle on the inner radius of the thick conducting shell". The inner surface of the shell has a certain amount of charge that is uniformly spread out over the inner surface of the shell. This charge on the inner surface is "induced" by the point charge +q located at the geometric center of the shell. Can you state how much total charge is induced on the inner surface of the thick shell?

Likes Sunbodi
TSny said:
Q is a charge. But kQ/R does not represent a charge.

Also, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "the particle on the inner radius of the thick conducting shell". The inner surface of the shell has a certain amount of charge that is uniformly spread out over the inner surface of the shell. This charge on the inner surface is "induced" by the point charge +q located at the geometric center of the shell. Can you state how much total charge is induced on the inner surface of the thick shell?
Wouldn't the charge induced simply be +Q? Sorry, I mistyped again. I meant 1kQ/R is the voltage induced on the inner radius of the thick conducting shell by the point charge.

Sunbodi said:
Wouldn't the charge induced simply be +Q?
No. Why would you expect the induced charge on the inner surface to be positive?

I meant 1kQ/R is the voltage induced on the inner radius of the thick conducting shell by the point charge.
If Q represents the charge of the point charge at the center, then you are right that kQ/R would be the potential at the inner surface of the thick shell due to the point charge. But I don't see how this is relevant to the question. You are trying to find points in space where the total potential (due to the point charge as well as the charges on the shells) is equal to zero.

TSny said:
No. Why would you expect the induced charge on the inner surface to be positive?

If Q represents the charge of the point charge at the center, then you are right that kQ/R would be the potential at the inner surface of the thick shell due to the point charge. But I don't see how this is relevant to the question.

I'm not quite sure how to set up this equation. If the total potential is zero then the sum of the potentials should be zero. This would mean the potential of charge Q at a certain point, -3Q at that point and +3Q would equal zero at this/these point(s). The charges are known, the total potential is known, the radius is not known.

Vtotal = 0 = kQ/R (point charge) + kQ/R (thick shell) + kQ/R (thin shell)

Suppose that point P is located where the total electric potential of the system is zero. Let r be the distance of point P from the point charge +q (which is located at the center of the shells). r is the unknown that you wish to find. You will need to set up an equation that involves r and then solve the equation for r.

1. What is the concept of "distances where electrostatic potential is zero"?

Electrostatic potential is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a given point in space. "Distances where electrostatic potential is zero" refer to points in space where the electric potential energy is equal to zero, resulting in no net electric force acting on a charged particle at that point.

2. How are distances where electrostatic potential is zero calculated?

Distances where electrostatic potential is zero are calculated using the equation V=kq/r, where V is the electrostatic potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge of the particle, and r is the distance from the particle to the point in space.

3. What factors affect the distances where electrostatic potential is zero?

The main factor that affects the distances where electrostatic potential is zero is the charge of the particle. The distance also plays a role, as the farther away the particle is from the point in space, the lower the electrostatic potential will be.

4. Why are distances where electrostatic potential is zero important in scientific research?

Distances where electrostatic potential is zero are important in understanding the behavior of charged particles and their interactions with electric fields. They also play a crucial role in the design and analysis of electronic devices, as well as in studying fundamental principles of electromagnetism.

5. Can distances where electrostatic potential is zero exist in nature?

Yes, distances where electrostatic potential is zero can exist in nature. For example, the electric potential inside a charged conductor is zero, as the excess charges distribute themselves on the surface of the conductor to minimize the potential energy. These points can also be found in the space between two oppositely charged parallel plates, where the electric field is uniform and the potential is constant, resulting in zero potential at certain distances between the plates.