Distributed weight of inclined beam.

Mohmmad Maaitah
Homework Statement
The beam weighs 280 lb/ft. Determine the internal
normal force, shear force, and moment at point C.
Relevant Equations
Equations of equilibrium
I'm having problem in drawing the distributed load (weight per foot) for the inclined beam as it shows.
should it be rectangular? if so shouldn't the distributed load be vertical down as the resultant weight at the centroid (W)
1702636296255.png
please help me understand how to draw the free body diagram for this one.
1702636361361.png

Physics news on Phys.org
If I draw it as Triangle it must be wrong (reason I want to is because I could make the Distributed load vertical then).

The distributed weight is $$\frac{dm}{ds}dsg$$ where ds is differential length along the bar; its direction is vertically downward.

Chestermiller said:
The distributed weight is $$\frac{dm}{ds}dsg$$ where ds is differential length along the bar; its direction is vertically downward.
I know and I solved the problem, I just want to see a free body diagram including the distributed load acting on the bar like this
(just how to draw the distributed load and I would appreciate a picture)
1702644491006.png

Attachments

• 1702644424783.png
    1702644424783.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 1702644452531.png
    1702644452531.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 24
Mohmmad Maaitah said:
I know and I solved the problem, I just want to see a free body diagram including the distributed load acting on the bar like this
(just how to draw the distributed load and I would appreciate a picture)
The distributed load should be in the direction of the resultant weight force. Taking a slice of the beam doesn't change its direction, just the magnitude of the resultant.

erobz said:
The distributed load should be in the direction of the resultant weight force. Taking a slice of the beam doesn't change its direction, just the magnitude of the resultant.
Right, but how do I draw the distributed load going vertically down?
like this:
1702646062261.png

1702646347846.png

The weight per unit length of the beam is constant ( i.e. a uniformly distributed load), there is no "triangle" shaped distribution here. Those are representative of a changing distributed load over the span.

If you imagine rotating the beam to horizontal the distributed load from its own weight just tends to:
1702647800911.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes Mohmmad Maaitah and Lnewqban
Mohmmad Maaitah said:
°°Homework Statement: The beam weighs 280 lb/ft. Determine the internal
normal force, shear force, and moment at point C.
Relevant Equations: Equations of equilibrium

I'm having problem in drawing the distributed load (weight per foot) for the inclined beam as it shows.
should it be rectangular? if so shouldn't the distributed load be vertical down as the resultant weight at the centroid (W)
help me understand how to draw the free body diagram for this one.
Just imagine the extreme case of 90° Inclination.
The beam becomes a column then.
The total weight will still be the same, only that “less equally distributed”.

Please, see:
https://learnaboutstructures.com/Determinate-Frame-Analysis

• Informative
Likes Mohmmad Maaitah
I think the common misconception with distributed loads is that the arrows represent forces, when they actually represent the force gradient ## \frac{dF}{dx} ##. This is what I think your mix up is, given that you think the shape of the distribution should be triangular. The force increases linearly as we progress along the beam, but the gradient (the distributed load) is uniform.

Likes Lnewqban and Mohmmad Maaitah
Thank you all for the reply it is a big help!!

Likes berkeman, Lnewqban and erobz
For the case of the imaginary column, think of how normal force, shear force, and moment at point C will change.

Tip: No bending, only compression load that is inversely proportional to the height of the cross-section.

• Informative
Likes Mohmmad Maaitah
erobz said:
I think the common misconception with distributed loads is that the arrows represent forces, when they actually represent the force gradient ## \frac{dF}{dx} ##. This is what I think your mix up is, given that you think the shape of the distribution should be triangular. The force increases linearly as we progress along the beam, but the gradient (the distributed load) is uniform.
I find it a bit odd to describe it as a force gradient. I suppose it works if you define F to be the total force over the extent 0 to x.

I would rather describe it as force per unit length.

Likes erobz and Mohmmad Maaitah

1. How do you calculate the distributed weight of an inclined beam?

To calculate the distributed weight of an inclined beam, you need to consider the weight of the beam itself as well as any additional loads acting on it. Use the formula: Distributed weight = Weight of beam + Weight of additional loads.

2. What factors affect the distributed weight of an inclined beam?

The factors that affect the distributed weight of an inclined beam include the weight of the beam, the angle of inclination, the length of the beam, and any additional loads acting on it.

3. How does the angle of inclination affect the distributed weight of an inclined beam?

The angle of inclination affects the distributed weight of an inclined beam by changing the distribution of weight along the beam. As the angle increases, more of the weight is distributed vertically, while less is distributed horizontally.

4. What is the significance of calculating the distributed weight of an inclined beam?

Calculating the distributed weight of an inclined beam is significant for determining the load-bearing capacity of the beam and ensuring its structural integrity. It is also important for designing and constructing buildings, bridges, and other structures.

5. How can the distributed weight of an inclined beam be optimized?

The distributed weight of an inclined beam can be optimized by carefully selecting the materials used, adjusting the angle of inclination, and minimizing any additional loads acting on the beam. Additionally, reinforcing the beam with appropriate supports can help distribute the weight more evenly.