Distribution of Charge on a Conducting shell

In summary, a +30mC point charge is at the center of a spherical thick metal shell with inner radius of 4.0cm and thickness of 2.0cm. The net charge on the shell is -50mC, which means that -30mC is distributed on the inner surface and -20mC on the outer surface. This is due to the attraction of the point charge for equal amount of negative charge on the inner surface. The remaining negative charge distributes on the outer surface, making the shell a negatively charged conductor.
fornax

Homework Statement

A +30mC point charge sits at the center of a spherical thick metal shell, of 4.0cm inner radius, and 2.0cm thickness. The net charge on the shell is -50mC.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I came up with several conclusions and I'm not really sure which one is right. I'm just looking for a confirmation of how this charge would distribute itself. I learned that in such a case as this, an equal and opposite amount of charge would distribute itself across the inner surface of the shell, so -30mC. Since the net charge is then -50mC, that means that -20mC must be on the outer surface. That didn't really make much sense to though me since there is no where for a positive charge on the shell. So does that mean there's a charge of -80mC on the inner surface of the shell, and +30mC on the outside? or is it just one big negatively charged conductor?

Physics news on Phys.org
The shell is negatively charged and the point charge at the centre attracts equal amount of negative charge onto the inner surface of the shell. The remaining negative charge distributes on the outer surface.

ehild

Thank you so much, I've been stuck on the rest of the problem. Thank you for clarifying that for me.

Related to Distribution of Charge on a Conducting shell

1. How is the charge distributed on a conducting shell?

The charge on a conducting shell is distributed evenly on the outer surface of the shell. This is due to the principle of electrostatic equilibrium, where charges will repel each other and spread out as evenly as possible on a conductive surface.

2. What happens to the charge inside the conducting shell?

The charge inside a conducting shell is redistributed and neutralized. This is because the charges on the inner surface of the shell will attract and cancel out the charges on the outer surface, resulting in a net charge of zero inside the shell.

3. Does the shape of the conducting shell affect the distribution of charge?

No, the shape of the conducting shell does not affect the distribution of charge. As long as the shell is a conductor, the charge will still be evenly distributed on the outer surface.

4. Can the charge on a conducting shell be changed?

Yes, the charge on a conducting shell can be changed by adding or removing charges from the outer surface. However, the total charge on the shell will always be distributed evenly on the outer surface.

5. How does the charge distribution on a conducting shell affect the electric field inside and outside the shell?

The charge distribution on a conducting shell will result in an electric field of zero inside the shell, as the net charge inside is zero. However, the electric field outside the shell will be affected by the total charge on the shell and the distance from the shell.