Distribution of sum of two circular uniform RVs in the range [0, 2 pi)

nikozm
TL;DR Summary
distribution; uniform
Hello,

I would like to know the analytical steps of deriving the distribution of sum of two circular (modulo 2 pi) uniform RVs in the range [0, 2 pi).

Any help would be useful

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Easiest way is [tex]
P(0 \leq Z = (\Theta + \Phi) \mod 2 \pi < z ) = P(0 \leq \Theta + \Phi < z) + P(2\pi \leq \Theta + \Phi < z + 2\pi)
[/tex] for [itex]z \in [0, 2\pi)[/itex] and [itex]\Theta[/itex], [itex]\Phi[/itex] are independent and uniformly distributed on [itex][0, 2\pi)[/itex].

I try to utilize this formula to a similar case, but the result seems too complicated. What if one of two RVs is a circular (mod 2 pi) uniformly distributed in [0, 2 pi) and the other one is an independent uniform RV in the range [-2^(-q) pi, 2^(-q) pi], where q is a nonnegative integer greater or equal than one. I presume that their sum is also a uniform RV, but I am not sure about its range.

Can you help me on this.

Thank you so much in advance.

In the original it is not clear to me that the sum is also mod 2pi. If not then the result will be different.

nikozm said:
I try to utilize this formula to a similar case, but the result seems too complicated. What if one of two RVs is a circular (mod 2 pi) uniformly distributed in [0, 2 pi) and the other one is an independent uniform RV in the range [-2^(-q) pi, 2^(-q) pi], where q is a nonnegative integer greater or equal than one. I presume that their sum is also a uniform RV, but I am not sure about its range.

Can you help me on this.

Thank you so much in advance.
Same here. Is the result mod 2pi? Unfortunately Wikipedia gives two definitions of the mod operator and the answer differs in the two cases. So you are right to be uncertain.

Wikipedia : In computing, the modulo operation returns the remainder or signed remainder of a division, after one number is divided by another.

What is the distribution of the sum of two circular uniform random variables (RVs)?

The sum of two independent circular uniform random variables, each uniformly distributed over the interval [0, 2π), is not uniformly distributed. Instead, the density function of their sum, \(Z = X + Y \mod 2\pi\), is characterized by a wrapped-around convolution of their individual uniform densities. The resulting distribution is known as a wrapped Cauchy distribution, which is more concentrated around certain angles depending on the sum.

How do you calculate the probability density function (PDF) of the sum of two circular uniform RVs?

The probability density function of the sum \(Z = X + Y \mod 2\pi\) of two independent circular uniform RVs can be calculated using convolution. The formula for the PDF is given by \( f_Z(z) = \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_0^{2\pi} f_X(x) f_Y(z-x \mod 2\pi) \, dx \), where \( f_X(x) = \frac{1}{2\pi} \) and \( f_Y(y) = \frac{1}{2\pi} \) are the densities of \(X\) and \(Y\). Simplifying, we get \( f_Z(z) = \frac{1}{2\pi} \), indicating the uniformity of distribution for each variable but not for their sum.

What is the characteristic function of the sum of two circular uniform RVs?

The characteristic function of a circular uniform random variable over [0, 2π) is given by \( \phi_X(t) = \frac{e^{it2\pi} - 1}{it2\pi} \). For the sum of two such independent variables, \(Z = X + Y\), the characteristic function is the product of the characteristic functions of \(X\) and \(Y\), hence \( \phi_Z(t) = \phi_X(t) \times \phi_Y(t) = \left(\frac{e^{it2\pi} - 1}{it2\pi}\right)^2 \). This function helps describe the distribution of \(Z\) and is useful in theoretical studies.

What are the mean and variance of the sum of two circular uniform RVs?

For circular statistics, the concepts of mean and variance are different from linear statistics. The mean direction of a circular uniform distribution is undefined as the distribution is symmetric around the circle. However, when considering the sum of two such variables, the resultant mean direction still remains undefined for similar reasons. The circular variance, which measures the concentration of data around the mean direction, is minimized in this case, indicating a higher concentration as compared to a single circular uniform variable.

How does the sum of more than two circular uniform RVs behave?

As more circular uniform random variables are added, the sum tends to be more concentrated around certain angles. Mathematically, the density function of the sum of \(n\) independent circular uniform RVs increasingly resembles a von Mises distribution as \(n\) increases. This distribution is often referred to as the "circular normal" distribution because of its similarity to the Gaussian distribution in linear settings. The concentration parameter of the von Mises distribution increases with \(n\), indicating a sharper peak around the mean direction.