Divergence and surfaces integral, very hard

In summary, the problem involves calculating a vector field h in cylindrical polar coordinates through a closed surface bounded by two cylinders and two planes using a surface integral and the divergence theorem. The six surfaces involved are the top and bottom of the hollow tube, the outside and inside of the outer and inner cylinders, and two planes with normal vectors oriented with the z-axis. However, the student's solution only accounts for four surfaces, and further clarification is needed to identify the mistake.
matt222

Homework Statement

A vector field h is described in cylindrical polar coordinates by ( h equation attached )
where i, j, and k are the unit vectors along the Cartesian axes and
(er) is the unit vector (x/r) i+(y/r) j
Calculate (1) by surface integral h through the closed surface bounded by the cylinders r=a and r=2a and the planes z=-a*pi/2 to +a*pi/2
and (2) by divergence theorem.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1- I draw the equation and I found it is like hollow tube cylinder with radius of r of the inner surface and 2r for the outer surface
2-I found there are 6 surfaces

a- S1 pointing into -z direction
b- S2 pointing into +z direction
c- S3 pointing into -Y direction
d- S4 pointing into -x direction
e- S5 surface of the outer tube r= 2a
f- S6 surface of the inner tube r=a

I solved the 6 surfaces and the outcome

S1=0

S2=sin(lamda*a*pi/2)*pi*a^2/4

S3=y/lamda*sin(a*pi*lmda/2)

S4=x/lamda*sin(a*pi*lmda/2)

S5= pi/2*lamda[2sin(a*pi*lmda/2)-2acos(a*pi*lmda/2)+2a]

S6=pi/2*lamda[sin(a*pi*lmda/2)-acos(a*pi*lmda/2)+a]

adding them all up and compared them with divergence which I got are not the same, could anyone find out what mistake I did

the divergence I got was

3a*pi/4lamda*sin(a*pi*lmda/2)+7a^2*pi/6*cos(a*pi*lmda/2)+3a*pi/4sin(a*pi*lmda/2)+
7a^2*pi/6

which is not the same with what I got

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 456
Physics news on Phys.org
It's very hard to see what you may have done wrong when you've only shown your final result, however just taking a look at what you took for your surfaces:

You mentioned you had 6 surfaces? If you're dealing in cylindrical coordinates I see only 4,

S1: The top of the hollow tube (pointing in the positive [itex]\hat{e_z}[/itex] direction.)
S2: The bottom of the hollow tube (pointing in the negative [itex]\hat{e_z}[/itex] direction.)
S3: The outside of the cylinder [itex]r=2a[/itex] (pointing radially outwards in the [itex]\hat{e_r}[/itex] direction.)
S4: The inside of the cylinder [itex]r=a[/itex] (pointing radially inwards in the [itex]\hat{e_r}[/itex] direction.)

what about the other two surfaces which is pointing in -y and -x direction

All the surfaces are accounted for. You have two planes which have normal vectors oriented with the z-axis.

You have two cylinders, one twice the radius of the other. The surfaces of cylinders have normal vectors which point radially.

What other surfaces do you have?

really lost don't know where is my mistake

Related to Divergence and surfaces integral, very hard

What is divergence?

Divergence is a mathematical operation that measures the rate of change of a vector field at a given point. It is represented by the symbol ∇ · F and can be thought of as a measure of how much a vector field is spreading out or converging at a particular location.

What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a mathematical concept that involves integrating a scalar or vector field over a two-dimensional surface. It is used to calculate quantities such as flux and average values over a surface.

Why are divergence and surface integrals considered difficult?

Divergence and surface integrals can be challenging because they require a strong understanding of vector calculus and multi-dimensional integration. They also involve complex mathematical expressions and can be difficult to visualize.

What are some real-world applications of divergence and surface integrals?

Divergence and surface integrals are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and fluid dynamics. They are commonly used to calculate quantities like electric and magnetic fields, fluid flow rates, and heat transfer within a system.

How can I improve my understanding of divergence and surface integrals?

To improve your understanding of divergence and surface integrals, it is important to have a strong foundation in vector calculus and multi-dimensional integration. Practice solving problems and visualizing the concepts. Additionally, seeking out resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems can also be helpful.