How to Apply the Divergence Theorem to a Non-Closed Surface?

In summary: T##, I know how to check if ##T## preserves or not the orientation but when I want to calculate ##\iiint_{W'} (divF)dV##, how do I describe the region bounded by ##S'## and how do I know it preserves the orientation?. Thanks in advance.In summary, the problem involves finding the flux through a surface obtained by revolving a curve around the z-axis. The surface is not closed, but the divergence theorem can be applied by considering the surface as the union of the original surface and two disks. The radius of the disks and the orientation of the region bounded by the surface are unknown, but can be determined in order to calculate the necessary integrals
mahler1
Homework Statement .

Let ##C## be the curve in the plane ##xz## given in polar coordinates by:
##r(\phi)=\frac{4√3}{9}(2-cos(2\phi)), \frac{π}{6}≤\phi≤\frac{5π}{6}## (##\phi## being the angle between the radius vector and the positive z-semiaxis). Let ##S## the surface obtained by the revolution of this curve around the ##z## axis. Calculate the flux through the surface in the "external" orientation of the field ##F(x,y,z)=(x,y,-2z)##.

The attempt at a solution.
First, I am not so sure if I parametrized the surface in the correct way, I hope so:
##T:[\frac{π}{6},\frac{5π}{6}]\times[0,2π] \to \mathbb R^3##, with
##T(\phi,θ)=(r(\phi)cos(θ),r(\phi)sin(θ),\phi)##

I suppose I must relate the flux of the vector field through this surface with the volume integral of the divergence of the region bounded by the surface. The problem is that one of the hypothesis of the divergence theorem is not satisfied: if you see the image I've attached, this surface is clearly not closed.

My idea was to apply the divergence theorem on the surface ##S'=S \cup D_1 \cup D_2## where ##S## is the original surface and ##D_1## and ##D_2## are the top and bottom disks, so the flux through ##S## would be:
##\iint_S (F.n)dS=\iint_{S'} (F.n)dS-2\iint_D (F.n)dS=\iiint_{W'} (divF)dV-2\iint_D (F.n)dS##, where ##D## is one of the two disks, it doesn't matter which since the integral of any of the two gives the same result.
If all of the things I've said are correct, then my doubts are:
how do I know for instance the radius of the disks? I need to get that information in order to parametrize them as surfaces and calculate the integrals over the disks, but I don't know how to get that information.
The other doubt that I have is: in the problem it says that the surface has the "external" orientation (the normal vector pointing outwards), I've parametrized the surface with ##T##, I know how to check if ##T## preserves or not the orientation but when I want to calculate ##\iiint_{W'} (divF)dV##, how do I describe the region bounded by ##S'## and how do I know it preserves the orientation?

Attachments

• Imagen 027.jpg
    Imagen 027.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 404
Physics news on Phys.org
. Thanks in advance. Homework EquationsDivergence theorem: ##\iiint_V (divF)dV=\iint_S (F.n)dS##The Attempt at a SolutionFirst, I am not so sure if I parametrized the surface in the correct way, I hope so:##T:[\frac{π}{6},\frac{5π}{6}]\times[0,2π] \to \mathbb R^3##, with##T(\phi,θ)=(r(\phi)cos(θ),r(\phi)sin(θ),\phi)##I suppose I must relate the flux of the vector field through this surface with the volume integral of the divergence of the region bounded by the surface. The problem is that one of the hypothesis of the divergence theorem is not satisfied: if you see the image I've attached, this surface is clearly not closed.My idea was to apply the divergence theorem on the surface ##S'=S \cup D_1 \cup D_2## where ##S## is the original surface and ##D_1## and ##D_2## are the top and bottom disks, so the flux through ##S## would be:##\iint_S (F.n)dS=\iint_{S'} (F.n)dS-2\iint_D (F.n)dS=\iiint_{W'} (divF)dV-2\iint_D (F.n)dS##, where ##D## is one of the two disks, it doesn't matter which since the integral of any of the two gives the same result.If all of the things I've said are correct, then my doubts are: how do I know for instance the radius of the disks? I need to get that information in order to parametrize them as surfaces and calculate the integrals over the disks, but I don't know how to get that information.The other doubt that I have is: in the problem it says that the surface has the "external" orientation (the normal vector pointing outwards), I've

1. What is the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem, also known as Gauss's Theorem, is a mathematical theorem that relates the flow of a vector field through a closed surface to the divergence of the field within the enclosed volume. It is an important tool in vector calculus and is used to solve problems in fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and other fields.

2. What is the formula for the Divergence Theorem?

The formula for the Divergence Theorem is given by ∫∫∫V div(F) dV = ∫∫S F·n dS, where ∫∫∫V represents the volume integral over the enclosed volume V, div(F) is the divergence of the vector field F, and ∫∫S represents the surface integral over the closed surface S.

3. How is the Divergence Theorem used in practice?

The Divergence Theorem is used to transform a difficult volume integral into an easier surface integral. It is used in many applications, such as calculating the flow of fluid through a pipe or the electric flux through a closed surface. It is also used to derive other important theorems, such as the Stoke's Theorem.

4. What are the requirements for applying the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem can only be applied to vector fields that are continuous and differentiable within the enclosed volume. The surface must also be a closed surface, meaning it has no boundary or holes. Additionally, the surface must be oriented consistently with the vector field.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving Divergence Theorem problems?

Some common mistakes when solving Divergence Theorem problems include forgetting to take into account the orientation of the surface and the vector field, using the wrong formula, and not ensuring that the vector field is continuous and differentiable within the enclosed volume. It is also important to correctly identify the boundaries of the volume and the direction of the normal vector on the surface.