DIY double-slit with strange results

In summary, the person tried to make a double slit experiment and got some difficult-to-explain results.
xtempore
I tried to make a double-slit experiment, but I got some difficult-to-explain results.

I cut a piece of opaque plastic in two and then stuck it back together with a human hair (mine) stretched in between, thus forming a double slit.

I then mounted the "double slit" 1m from a sheet of white paper and shone a red laser pointer through. The resulting diffraction pattern was very clear and I counted 13 bright bands within 2cm of the middle.

So...
slit to screen distance, L = 1m.
distance between maxima, x = 2cm/13 = 1.5mm = 0.0015m
separation of slits (diameter of hair - estimate), d = 90microns = 0.00009m

using lambda = x.d/L gives

lambda = 1.35e-7m = 135nm - HUH?

Red light is around 620-750nm. L = 1m is right, and I'm pretty sure about there being 13 bright bands in 2cm. The remaining variable is the hair width, but for the numbers to match up would require a width of around 450microns - way thicker than any human hair.

So what gives? Any ideas are welcome.

In the meantime I might try some variations on the setup to try and get some clue as to where it went wrong.

X

Physics news on Phys.org
:uhh: I'm surprised that nobody tried to answer this. Not even a guess?

Anyway after redoing the experiment, I noticed something...

Even though bands were small at only about 1.5mm apart, I noticed that they were not consistent in their brightness but seemed to fade in and out. In fact they seemed to come in bunches, or bands of bands. Each band of bands was about 9mm wide.

Once I used this in the formula then my numbers made much better sense.

My guess is that this is an overlaid pattern of some kind. Essentially the hair is probably not sufficiently opaque and provides some sort of diffraction of its own.

Probably just error in the accuracy of your instruments, or your estimate of the width of your own hair (everyone's hair is different).

Even though bands were small at only about 1.5mm apart, I noticed that they were not consistent in their brightness but seemed to fade in and out. In fact they seemed to come in bunches, or bands of bands. Each band of bands was about 9mm wide.
Yes, that would be consistent. There's both diffraction AND interference going on at the same time, giving you the "bands of bands"

peter0302 said:
Probably just error in the accuracy of your instruments, or your estimate of the width of your own hair (everyone's hair is different).

Yes my "instruments" were quite inaccurate, especially in regard to the width of the hair which was purely a guesstimate.

But the point was it wasn't just out by a few percent - which would be reasonable. It gave a result SIX TIMES what was expected.

I'm sure you are right about the combination of diffraction, refraction. I wish I had a good way to capture the result though, because it was amazing how clear the banding was.

You're lucky you were within an order of magnitude! :)

Don't you have a high resolution digital camera? Just turn off the flash, and put it on a tripod with a very long exposure.

For more accuracy: You could use an old glass mirror. With the aid of a $25.00 metal digital caliper, measure and cut two lines with #11 exacto blade in the painted backing material (a.k.a silvering). Shine the laser on the dull backside surface (the painted side) of the mirror for the experiment.

If you want to minimize the amount of glass the laser has to travel through after traveling through the slits, buy some thin glass used for microscope viewing. Paint one side with flat black paint mixed with graphite powder. This should give you a nice opaque surface to block the light outside of the slits.

1. What is a DIY double-slit experiment?

A DIY double-slit experiment is a science experiment that involves creating a setup with two narrow slits and a light source to observe the behavior of light waves passing through the slits. This experiment is often used to demonstrate the wave-particle duality of light.

2. What are some common results of a DIY double-slit experiment?

Common results of a DIY double-slit experiment include the formation of an interference pattern, where the light waves overlap and create bright and dark bands on a screen, and the observation of diffraction, where the light waves bend around the edges of the slits.

3. What are some strange results that can occur in a DIY double-slit experiment?

Some strange results that can occur in a DIY double-slit experiment include the observation of a single particle appearing to pass through both slits at the same time, known as the double-slit paradox, and the collapse of the interference pattern when the experiment is observed or measured, known as the observer effect.

4. What factors can affect the results of a DIY double-slit experiment?

The results of a DIY double-slit experiment can be affected by various factors, such as the size and distance between the slits, the wavelength of the light source, and the presence of any obstructions or disturbances in the setup. The results can also be affected by how the experiment is set up and observed, as well as the sensitivity of the measuring equipment used.

5. Why is the DIY double-slit experiment important in science?

The DIY double-slit experiment is important in science because it helps us understand the fundamental nature of light and its behavior as both a wave and a particle. It also has implications in other areas of science, such as quantum mechanics and the study of matter. The results of this experiment have challenged our understanding of the physical world and continue to spark curiosity and further research.