DIY dyno calculation with an Arduino sensor circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of torque, RPM, and horsepower using various formulas and parameters. It is suggested to use the formula Power (kW) = Torque (N.m) x Speed (RPM) / 9.5488 and to plot a graph to analyze the data.
hksaaa
TL;DR Summary
DIY dyno calculation
I would like to know if this formulae i have are good enough to make calculations.
My plan is to count time of each roll with Arduino.I don't have roller yet so i don't know moment of inertia.angular acceleration = radians/secounds
TORQUE = moment of inertia (kg∙m2) * angular acceleration
RPM = 60/secounds
HP = TORQUE x RPM ÷ 5252

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello hks, :welcome:
hksaaa said:
angular acceleration = radians/secounds
wrong dimension. [angular acceleration] = angle/time2
(analogous to [acceleration] = length/time2 )
TORQUE = moment of inertia (kg∙m2) * angular acceleration
right
RPM = 60/second
No. Revolutions Per Minute, so: 1 RPM = 1/60 revolutions/s = 2##\pi##/60 radians/s
HP = TORQUE x RPM ÷ 5252
Wrong dimension [power] = energy/time

One out of four -- back to an introductory textbook or so for study :wink:

• Informative
Likes berkeman and hksaaa
BvU said:
Hello hks, :welcome:
wrong dimension. [angular acceleration] = angle/time2
(analogous to [acceleration] = length/time2 )
right
No. Revolutions Per Minute, so: 1 RPM = 1/60 revolutions/s = 2##\pi##/60 radians/s
Wrong dimension [power] = energy/time

One out of four -- back to an introductory textbook or so for study :wink:

Thank you for helping me! Sadly i am not engineer so sorry.

Can you please explain me what is wrong with -> HP(horse power) = TORQUE x RPM ÷ 5252 and how it should look with my parameters?I found this on google and website looks legit.:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
hksaaa said:
Can you please explain me what is wrong with -> HP(horse power) = TORQUE x RPM ÷ 5252
You have not specified the units used for torque in the equation.
Power = torque * angular velocity;
In SI units; watt = Newton·metre * radian/second.

1 HP = 745.7 watt.
1 kg force = 9.80665 Newton.
1 foot = 0.3048 metre.
1 pound = 0.4536 kg.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes hksaaa
hksaaa said:
HP = TORQUE x RPM ÷ 5252
I goofed writing 'wrong dimension' o:) -- Baluncore is too kind avoiding to mention that. His post corrects me. What I should have written is a question about the context of the expression: how do you intend to use it ?

PS and I was too lazy to check on the numerics...:rolleyes:

• Informative
Likes hksaaa
BvU said:
I goofed writing 'wrong dimension' o:) -- Baluncore is too kind avoiding to mention that. His post corrects me. What I should have written is a question about the context of the expression: how do you intend to use it ?

PS and I was too lazy to check on the numerics...:rolleyes:

In general my plan is to get time of each full roll and process/calculate data to get Horse Power and show it
in graph with given formulae.

If i got it, i should use this formula -> Power (kW) = Torque (N.m) x Speed (RPM) / 9.5488 (and convert it in HP) with :
  1. Angular acceleration(rad/s(square)) = radians/secounds(square)
  2. TORQUE(N.m) = moment of inertia (kg∙m2) * angular acceleration(rad/s(square))
  3. RPM = radians(per secound) * 30 / pi
  4. Power (kW) = Torque (N.m) x Speed (RPM) / 9.5488

Last edited:
hksaaa said:
In general my plan is to get time of each full roll and process/calculate data to get Horse Power and show it
in graph with given formulae
Good. So you get something like a list of times after startup: ##t_0, t_1, t_2, t_3, ... ## for start, 1, 2, 3 ... revolutions.

Useful formulas on page 5 of the pdf in the link I gave: with ##\omega_0=0##, so: from standstill, you have$$ \begin{align*}\omega &= \alpha t \\ \theta &= {1\over 2}\alpha t^2\end{align*}$$
For your observations ( with ## \theta_n = 2\pi n ## ) that means $$ 2\pi n = {1\over 2}\alpha t_n^2 $$ which can be re-ordered to $$ t_n^2 = {4\pi \over \alpha }\, n $$so a plot with ##n## horizontal and ##t_n^2## should give a straight line --- in theory, and provided the torque is constant.

Experimentally it may be lesss noisy ( the analysis above heavily leans on ##t_0=0## ) to, instead, make a plot of ##\ \displaystyle {1\over t_n - t_{n-1}}\ ## as a function of ##\displaystyle{t_n+t_{n-1}}\over 2 ##.

This is based on the first expression: ##\ \omega = \alpha t\ ## where ##\omega\approx\omega_{\scriptstyle\text { average} } = \displaystyle {2\pi\over t_n - t_{n-1}} \ ## for the average time ##\displaystyle{t_n+t_{n-1}}\over 2 ##.

• Informative
Likes hksaaa
BvU said:
Good. So you get something like a list of times after startup: ##t_0, t_1, t_2, t_3, ... ## for start, 1, 2, 3 ... revolutions.

Useful formulas on page 5 of the pdf in the link I gave: with ##\omega_0=0##, so: from standstill, you have$$ \begin{align*}\omega &= \alpha t \\ \theta &= {1\over 2}\alpha t^2\end{align*}$$
For your observations ( with ## \theta_n = 2\pi n ## ) that means $$ 2\pi n = {1\over 2}\alpha t_n^2 $$ which can be re-ordered to $$ t_n^2 = {4\pi \over \alpha }\, n $$so a plot with ##n## horizontal and ##t_n^2## should give a straight line --- in theory, and provided the torque is constant.

Experimentally it may be lesss noisy ( the analysis above heavily leans on ##t_0=0## ) to, instead, make a plot of ##\ \displaystyle {1\over t_n - t_{n-1}}\ ## as a function of ##\displaystyle{t_n+t_{n-1}}\over 2 ##.

This is based on the first expression: ##\ \omega = \alpha t\ ## where ##\omega\approx\omega_{\scriptstyle\text { average} } = \displaystyle {2\pi\over t_n - t_{n-1}} \ ## for the average time ##\displaystyle{t_n+t_{n-1}}\over 2 ##.
Thank you for well explained!

My plan was to get time for each full roll, calculate HP for given time and put in curved graph like below(its with fake data just to test if its working) and repeat for let's say 15 secounds to get full graph.

Are my formulae correct for this situation? 🤔
  1. Angular acceleration(rad/s(square)) = radians/secounds(square)
  2. TORQUE(N.m) = moment of inertia (kg∙m2) * angular acceleration(rad/s(square))
  3. RPM = radians(per secound) * 30 / pi
  4. Power (kW) = Torque (N.m) x Speed (RPM) / 9.5488
dyno.jpg

Last edited:
I think so. Is 'time for each full roll' the same thing as 'time for a full revolution' o_O ?

Found your funny 5252 coefficient in the engineering toolbox -- glad I move in an SI units world :cool: .

• Love
Likes hksaaa
BvU said:
I think so. Is 'time for each full roll' the same thing as 'time for a full revolution' o_O ?

Found your funny 5252 coefficient in the engineering toolbox -- glad I move in an SI units world :cool: .

Yes its same thing! :oops:

It was first result in my google search.:biggrin:

Thank you once again, appreciate your help!
Will post update when i try it(missing sensor at the moment).

1. How does a DIY dyno calculation with an Arduino sensor circuit work?

A DIY dyno calculation with an Arduino sensor circuit works by using an Arduino microcontroller to measure the rotational speed of a motor or engine. This data is then used to calculate the torque and power output of the motor, which can be displayed on a screen or saved to a file.

2. What type of sensor is needed for a DIY dyno calculation with an Arduino sensor circuit?

The most commonly used sensor for a DIY dyno calculation with an Arduino sensor circuit is a hall effect sensor. This type of sensor can detect changes in magnetic fields and is often used to measure rotational speed.

3. Can any type of motor or engine be tested with a DIY dyno calculation with an Arduino sensor circuit?

Yes, as long as the motor or engine has a rotating shaft, it can be tested with a DIY dyno calculation with an Arduino sensor circuit. However, the accuracy of the results may vary depending on the type and condition of the motor or engine.

4. Are there any limitations to using an Arduino for dyno calculations?

While an Arduino can be a cost-effective and versatile option for DIY dyno calculations, it may have limitations in terms of accuracy and precision compared to professional dyno equipment. Additionally, the Arduino may not be able to handle high power outputs or extreme testing conditions.

5. Are there any tutorials or resources available for building a DIY dyno calculation with an Arduino sensor circuit?

Yes, there are many online tutorials and resources available for building a DIY dyno calculation with an Arduino sensor circuit. These can range from simple step-by-step guides to more advanced projects with detailed instructions and code. It is important to carefully follow the instructions and have a basic understanding of electronics and programming before attempting to build a DIY dyno with an Arduino.