DIY Electric Heater Project: Newbie Seeking Resources

In summary: If you want to power a 12 volt DC heater from a car battery, you will need a 12 volt DC adapter. There are many options for this, and an online search will reveal many options.
Soccerdude240
Hey everyone! I am trying to build a small electric heater as a DIY project. My only experience in electronics is a digital electronics class I took...other than that, I'm new to just about all of this stuff, but I can pick up on things rather quickly. Does anyone have any good resources that you think might help me get started?

Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Soccerdude240 said:
Hey everyone! I am trying to build a small electric heater as a DIY project. My only experience in electronics is a digital electronics class I took...other than that, I'm new to just about all of this stuff, but I can pick up on things rather quickly. Does anyone have any good resources that you think might help me get started?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the PF.

Do you mean like a heating pad? That could be a fairly safe first project, as long as you use a packaged power source that already has safety approvals (like UL). A moderate-size wall transformer could be your power source -- you can get them from Radio Shack and similar stores.

If you mean like a moderate-power space heater powered by the AC Mains (110Vrms, etc.), that is beyond your abilities at the moment. You have plenty to learn before tackling an AC Mains based project, which includes using safety agency approved design practices and construction techniques.

What do you want to heat?

I'm just looking for some projects to get me familiar with circuitry and electricity and general. I am working up to building some handlebar warmers for my bike (which will be a much tougher challenge) so I'm starting small. Any other resources you might have wold be greatly appreciated!

Soccerdude240 said:
I'm just looking for some projects to get me familiar with circuitry and electricity and general. I am working up to building some handlebar warmers for my bike (which will be a much tougher challenge) so I'm starting small. Any other resources you might have wold be greatly appreciated!

Nichrome wire is typically used as the heating element. Here is an intro article, with links out to other information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heating_element

Soccerdude240 said:
As berkeman says, "Nichrome wire is typically used...". But as a learning project, you could make a heater with the proper (ohms and wattage) resistors. Here is a heater made this way for controlling dew on telescopes. It's designed to operate on 12 volts dc.
http://www.dewbuster.com/heaters/heaters.html"

When you get to your handlebar warmers, consideration as to your power source becomes important; weight/size determined by how much current you need.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to DIY Electric Heater Project: Newbie Seeking Resources

1. What is the purpose of a DIY electric heater project?

The purpose of a DIY electric heater project is to create a low-cost, energy-efficient heating solution for a specific space or area. This project is often undertaken by individuals who want to reduce their energy bills or have limited access to traditional heating systems.

2. What materials are needed for a DIY electric heater project?

The materials needed for a DIY electric heater project will vary depending on the specific design and size of the heater. However, common materials may include a heating element, thermostat, power supply, wires, and various tools for assembly.

3. How difficult is it to build a DIY electric heater?

The difficulty level of building a DIY electric heater will depend on the person's skill level and experience with DIY projects. Some heater designs may be relatively simple and easy to assemble, while others may require more advanced knowledge and skills. It is important to thoroughly research and understand the project before attempting to build it.

4. Are there any safety precautions to consider when building a DIY electric heater?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to consider when building a DIY electric heater. It is important to use the appropriate tools and materials, follow instructions carefully, and ensure that the heater is properly grounded to avoid electrical hazards. It is also important to regularly check and maintain the heater to ensure it is functioning safely.

5. Where can I find resources for building a DIY electric heater?

There are many online resources available for building a DIY electric heater, including instructional videos, step-by-step guides, and forums where individuals share their experiences and tips. Additionally, books and magazines on DIY projects may also have tutorials on building electric heaters. It is important to thoroughly research and compare different resources to find the most reliable and appropriate information for your project.