Need Help in assembling an electrical resistance heater

In summary: The amount of heat produced by 1 watt depends on various factors such as insulation, room temperature, and size of the object being heated. It is not a direct conversion and cannot be accurately answered without more information about the specific circumstances.
ThomasMHeat
Hello

Im looking to build a very small electrical resistance heater. It should produce no more than 1 to 3 degrees of heat. This is for a personal project of mine.

I need to know what types of materials I need to use. Id like the device to be both battery powered and plug in.

Can anyone assist?

Thank you very much

Engineering news on Phys.org
Degrees are the wrong units. Temperature depends on how well insulated things are. You should ask about watts.

Watts needed spend on the size of the tubby being heated. Are you building a hand warmer or a house warmer?

you would think of it as a hand warmer - something very small. NOT to heat an entire house at all.

Check Cabelas or Campmor. I'm sure they sell battery powered hand /foot warmers.

lets say that i wanted to build one from scratch.
What would I need?

OK, start with the relationship ##P=\frac{V^2}{R}##. If you have a 9 volt battery, you need an 81 ohm wire to make 1watt.

Look up heating wire on eBay. Select one where the Ohms per foot resistance of the wire, times the number of feet in your heater comes out to about 80 Ohms.

Thank you very much

and this production of 1 watt of power should produce heat between 1 or 2 degrees?

By no stretch am I an expert on how to determine how much extra heat is needed in relation to how much heat you are losing. But I do know that this is an issue and I also know it has been implied by a previous poster in this thread. You seem to ignore this.

how many degrees of heat does 1 watt produce? Can this be answered? Yes or No.

ThomasMHeat said:
how many degrees of heat does 1 watt produce? Can this be answered? Yes or No.

No .

Likes davenn

1. What materials do I need to assemble an electrical resistance heater?

To assemble an electrical resistance heater, you will need the following materials:

• resistance wire (usually nichrome or kanthal)
  • electrical connectors
  • insulating material (such as ceramic or mica)
  • metal housing or frame
  • electrical power source (such as a battery or outlet)

2. What tools do I need to assemble an electrical resistance heater?

You will need the following tools to assemble an electrical resistance heater:

• wire cutters
  • wire strippers
  • screwdrivers
  • pliers
  • soldering iron (if using solder to connect wires)

3. How do I determine the appropriate amount of resistance wire to use?

The appropriate amount of resistance wire to use will depend on the desired wattage of your heater. You can use the formula P=I^2R, where P is power (in watts), I is current (in amps), and R is resistance (in ohms). Rearrange the formula to solve for R, and then choose a resistance wire with the corresponding resistance value.

4. Can I use any type of resistance wire for my heater?

No, not all resistance wires are suitable for use in electrical heaters. It is important to choose a wire that can withstand high temperatures and has a high melting point, such as nichrome or kanthal. These types of wire are commonly used in heating elements and have a high resistance, making them ideal for electrical heaters.

5. Is it safe to assemble an electrical resistance heater on my own?

Assembling an electrical resistance heater does involve working with electricity, so it is important to take proper safety precautions. Make sure to disconnect any power sources and wear protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses. If you are unsure about how to properly assemble the heater or have any concerns, it is best to consult a professional or seek assistance.