DIY glovebox or closed fume-hood?

In summary, the PhD student is working on solution-processed kesterite PV cells and is considering ways to control environmental parameters like temperature and humidity. He's also considering doing an home-made glovebox or trying to close the fume-hood in which the spin-coater is located. Fundamentally, these measures would only alter the conditions for the experiment, not the air quality inside the fume hood.
acvtre
Hi everybody, I'm a PhD student working on solution-processed kesterite PV cells. The material is spin-coated and I personally believe that its wetting properties are influenced by environmental parameters like temperature and humidity.
To control these parameters, or at least reduce their influence, I was considering to do an home-made glovebox or try to close the fume-hood in which the spin-coater is located.
Essentially I'd like to put the spin-coater in a controlled environment.

Do you have any suggestion or experience?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
acvtre said:
...I was considering to do an home-made glovebox or try to close the fume-hood in which the spin-coater is located.

Do you have any suggestion or experience?
I'm an HVAC engineer, specializing in lab (and clean room) ventilation...

What kind of temperature and humidity ranges are you after? Have you discussed with your university's facilities department whether you can get the whole lab's HVAC settings changed?

Fundamentally, a fume hood is an open protection device that protects you from what is inside via airflow (a lot). Even with the sash closed, there is airflow. There is no getting around that, so there is no way to alter the environment inside the fume hood other than to alter the air flowing in. The process you are doing in the fume hood (chemicals you are using) - presumably your advisor or university EHS department dictated that it be performed in a fume hood for safety?

A glove box or similar type enclosure can be made with a self-contained HVAC system and a smaller amount of exhaust. It's the self-contained and precision controlled HVAC system that is the tougher part, though it depends on your requirements if/how it can be done ad-hoc.

Here's a quick example of the typical glove box environmental chamber, you're looking to approximate:
http://thermotron.com/equipment/specialty-environmental-chamber/cds-5.html

Likes berkeman
acvtre said:
The material is spin-coated and I personally believe that its wetting properties are influenced by environmental parameters like temperature and humidity.
To control these parameters, or at least reduce their influence, I was considering to do an home-made glovebox or try to close the fume-hood in which the spin-coater is located.

This seems to be more about controlling the conditions for the experiment than about safety .

Could @acvtre actually be trying to describe something which is essentially the same as a paint spraying booth with environment controls ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Frequently Asked Questions about DIY glovebox or closed fume-hood

1. What materials do I need to build a DIY glovebox or closed fume-hood?

To build a DIY glovebox or closed fume-hood, you will need a plastic storage bin or container, gloves, a HEPA filter, a fan, duct tape, and a clear plastic sheet. Additionally, you may need a power drill, screws, and other tools depending on the specific design you choose.

2. Is it safe to use a DIY glovebox or closed fume-hood for scientific experiments?

It is generally not recommended to use a DIY glovebox or closed fume-hood for scientific experiments. These makeshift devices may not provide adequate protection from hazardous materials and are not regularly tested for safety like professional-grade fume-hoods. It is best to use a certified fume-hood for experiments involving hazardous materials.

3. How do I ensure proper ventilation in a DIY glovebox or closed fume-hood?

To ensure proper ventilation in a DIY glovebox or closed fume-hood, it is essential to have a fan that can circulate the air inside the box and a HEPA filter to remove any harmful particles. It is also important to regularly check and replace the filter to maintain proper ventilation.

4. Can I use a DIY glovebox or closed fume-hood for chemical experiments?

It is not recommended to use a DIY glovebox or closed fume-hood for chemical experiments. These devices may not be able to effectively contain and remove hazardous chemicals, leading to potential health risks. It is best to use a certified fume-hood for chemical experiments.

5. How do I clean and maintain a DIY glovebox or closed fume-hood?

To clean and maintain a DIY glovebox or closed fume-hood, you should regularly disinfect the inside with a suitable cleaning solution. It is also important to regularly check and replace the HEPA filter and gloves to ensure proper functioning. It is recommended to follow the manufacturer's instructions for cleaning and maintenance.