DIY homemade Crooke's radiometer?

• Misc.
  • Thread starter AdrianMachin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diy Homemade
In summary,The person is researching ways to make a light bulb at home, and they have found a few projects. They are also interested in making a radiometer, and have found that a high vacuum is not necessary.
AdrianMachin
Is there any way to make one at home?

Physics news on Phys.org
AdrianMachin said:
Is there any way to make one at home?
What have you found in your Google searching so far?

Likes AdrianMachin
berkeman said:
What have you found in your Google searching so far?
Found some cool projects, but was looking for a way to make it like those inside a light bulb.

Baken said:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BR3acncFNVK/ I'm building it in a mason jar and will pump the air out with a food saver jar-adapter.
Good luck with it. You will need to make some pretty good seals and getting the vacuum very low will take some ingenuity. The smaller that your vacuum vessel is, the lower vacuum you will achieve so don't use a large jar.

Cool. Also want to see the results. So, if you can, give us links or smth. :wink:

Baken said:
pump the air out with a food saver jar-adapter.
From that movie, it seems that a high vacuum is not necessary. which is interesting. A 'Proper' radiometer that works by photon momentum needs high vacuum (to avoid the effect of bouncing molecules in the cheap method).
I always find it amazing that it's possible for me to go through life making totally wrong assumptions of 'amounts' when such things are constantly on my (in particular) mind. I must try to make one as well and see just how little vacuum is needed. There will be an optimum compromise between friction and density of fast molecules, I guess. Have you managed to measure the pressure in there? An 'optimistic' estimate can be made, using the 'compression ratio' of the system - pump volume vs vessel volume which ignores leaks etc.

To OP, how's the result of your project? I just realized this post is 2 years old.

1. How does a homemade Crooke's radiometer work?

The Crooke's radiometer is a simple device that utilizes the principle of thermal transpiration to rotate a set of vanes. When one side of the vanes is exposed to light, the molecules inside the bulb heat up and move towards the cooler side, creating a difference in pressure which causes the vanes to rotate.

2. What materials are needed to make a DIY Crooke's radiometer?

To make a homemade Crooke's radiometer, you will need a light bulb, a glass jar, a vacuum pump, some glue, and a set of vanes made from thin metal or paper. You may also need a heat source such as a hairdryer to create a temperature difference inside the jar.

3. Can I use a different type of bulb for the radiometer?

Yes, you can use different types of bulbs such as LED or fluorescent bulbs. However, the traditional incandescent bulb is the most effective as it produces more heat and infrared radiation.

4. How do I ensure the radiometer is assembled correctly?

The most important step in assembling a homemade Crooke's radiometer is to ensure that the vanes are placed correctly. The shiny side of the vanes should face the light source, and the dull side should face away. Also, make sure that the vanes are balanced and can rotate freely without touching the sides of the jar.

5. Can I use the radiometer to measure light intensity?

The Crooke's radiometer is not an accurate tool for measuring light intensity as it is affected by various factors such as air pressure and temperature. It is primarily used as a demonstration of the principle of thermal transpiration and is not intended for precise measurements.