DIY supercapacitor fabrication

In summary, the conversation discusses a new chemistry project involving testing common household electrolytes between two activated carbon electrodes. The main issue is getting the activated carbon to adhere to the aluminum foil and suggestions are given, such as using a binder or roughing up the foil surface. The conversation also mentions the importance of researching and comparing the properties of different electrolytes before testing them in the project.
BurnIt0017
Greetings. I started a new project, I am trying to establish a basic fabrication method so I can test different common household electrolytes when placed between two activated carbon electrode.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwO5zSDThdxFazQyeHM5ZFVEdDg/view?usp=sharing

The main problem I am having is getting the activated carbon to adhere to the aluminum foil.
Suggestions welcome.

This is my first chemistry project and I only have access to common household items.
I am a fabricator and I just started to study chemistry. Skill level basic...

Do electrolytes have different size ions?

Physics news on Phys.org
BurnIt0017 said:
Do electrolytes have different size ions?
They sure do ! You can even look them up, e.g. here. For composite ions e.g. here

Hello! That sounds like an interesting project. Have you tried using a binder or adhesive to help the activated carbon stick to the aluminum foil? Another suggestion could be to rough up the surface of the aluminum foil before applying the activated carbon, as that may provide a better surface for it to adhere to. As for the size of ions in electrolytes, yes, different electrolytes can have different sized ions. This can affect their ability to conduct electricity and their overall effectiveness in your experiment. You may want to research and compare the properties of different household electrolytes before testing them in your project. Good luck with your experiment!

1. What materials do I need for DIY supercapacitor fabrication?

To fabricate a supercapacitor, you will need a conductive material for the electrodes, a separator material, and an electrolyte solution. Some common materials used for electrodes include activated carbon, graphene, and metal oxides. The separator can be made from materials such as cellulose or polypropylene. The electrolyte solution can be made from a combination of chemicals such as sulfuric acid and potassium hydroxide.

2. How do I assemble the components for a DIY supercapacitor?

First, you will need to create two electrodes by coating a conductive material onto a surface, such as a piece of metal or plastic. Then, sandwich the electrodes with a separator material in between. Next, immerse the assembly in the electrolyte solution and seal it to prevent leakage. Finally, connect the electrodes to a power source and charge the supercapacitor.

3. Can I use household materials for DIY supercapacitor fabrication?

Yes, it is possible to use some household materials for DIY supercapacitor fabrication. For example, activated charcoal can be made from burnt food scraps and used as an electrode material. However, it is important to note that the performance of the supercapacitor may not be as efficient as one made with specialized materials.

4. What safety precautions should I take when working with DIY supercapacitors?

Working with chemicals and electricity can be dangerous, so it is important to take proper safety precautions when fabricating a DIY supercapacitor. Wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when handling chemicals. Make sure to work in a well-ventilated area. Also, be careful when connecting the electrodes to a power source and avoid short circuits.

5. How do I know if my DIY supercapacitor is working?

You can test the performance of your DIY supercapacitor by measuring its capacitance and comparing it to the expected value based on the materials and dimensions used. You can also test its charging and discharging capabilities by connecting it to a circuit and observing how long it takes to charge and how much energy it can release. Keep in mind that DIY supercapacitors may not have the same performance as commercially available ones.