DNA barcodes and genetic diversity in humans

In summary, this study found that most animal species have comparatively tiny genetic diversity, humans included. Modern human genetic diversity is low, and modern humans as a species are about 200,000 years old. The same holds true for many of the other animal species in the database, 200,000 years.
jim mcnamara
Mentor
Very short and general precis: Analyzing the 'barcode' gene in mitochondria (big data source) has found that most current animal species have comparatively tiny genetic diversity, humans included. Based on the data, the conclusion is modern human genetic diversity is low, and modern humans as a species are about 200,000 years old. The same holds true for many of the other animal species in the database, 200,000 years.

Comment: hmmm. If this study holds water it means that most of the extant animals and early humans all underwent some kind of evolutionary change 200,000ya. This is sure to arouse lots of skepticism.

Background:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNA_barcoding
Popular Science:
https://phys.org/news/2018-05-special-humanity-tiny-dna-differences.html
Paper:
"Why should mitochondria define species?" Human Evolution
DOI: 10.14673/HE2018121037
This DOI link is broken for now. I cannot get to the original. Expect it will be fixed shortly.

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
jim mcnamara said:
Comment: hmmm. If this study holds water it means that most of the extant animals and early humans all underwent some kind of evolutionary change 200,000ya. This is sure to arouse lots of skepticism.
..., or not. Methinks there could be a bit more to the thesis/hypothesis than meets the eye. Not a fan of "punctuated equilibrium," up until this time/point, but may have to backtrack on that assessment.

Likes jim mcnamara
@Bystander - punctualism fits a lot of the data we have. Its is the 200Kya boundary I have some issues with.

My issue with this paper is plant geography and the statement of many animal species species from divergent phyla having evolved all 200Kya. Plants should also display this feature at least to some extent. Schizaea - the curly grass fern, exists natively in two places: the dwarf pine forest in the New Jersey Pine Barrens and in one pine forested valley in the Ural mountains. The best possible explanation is not the 'constipated bird theory of plant distribution', but Plate Tectonics. Does this mean the species has persisted for 60 million years? It's possible - there are cycad fossils of extant species that date from the Eocene.

And yes it is hard to claim they are the same species. They could be genotypically unrelated and phenotypically identical. Which is also a stretch. But Plate Tectonics does explain the current distributions of the phyla of many plants and animals.

If they perform the same experiment on barcode data from plant species I'll be willing to buy the 200Kya boundary. Currently we are 'stuck' on choosing a suitable definition - candidate gene: http://www.pnas.org/content/106/31/12794.full?sid+38cee406-d425-4f58-8edc-bbcb2ac34bad

jim mcnamara said:
Its is the 200Kya boundary I have some issues with.
We had ice ages, vulcanic eruptions and such relative frequently during that margin of error of that 200k year to manage (and eventually: break up) population sizes.
My issue is with the original statement (of the popularized version of the paper what I could google up so far) instead.
It is textbook biology, for example, that species with large, far-flung populations -- think ants, rats, humans -- will become more genetically diverse over time.
I'll try to dig up the original paper tomorrow, but I just can't help it: such statements makes it feel like a really bad joke.

What is a DNA barcode?

A DNA barcode is a short section of DNA that is unique to a particular species or individual.

How are DNA barcodes used in studying genetic diversity in humans?

DNA barcodes are used to identify and compare genetic differences among individuals, populations, and species. By analyzing the variations in DNA barcodes, scientists can determine the level of genetic diversity within a human population and how it has evolved over time.

What is the significance of genetic diversity in humans?

Genetic diversity in humans is important for the survival and evolution of our species. It allows for adaptation to changing environments and helps to prevent the spread of genetic disorders.

How are DNA barcodes obtained and analyzed?

DNA barcodes can be obtained through various methods such as DNA sequencing or DNA amplification techniques. Once obtained, the sequences are compared and analyzed using bioinformatics tools to identify genetic variations and patterns.

What are some potential applications of DNA barcodes and genetic diversity studies in humans?

Some potential applications include understanding the genetic basis of diseases, identifying and tracking human migration patterns, and aiding in forensic investigations. It can also inform conservation efforts by identifying endangered populations and monitoring biodiversity.