Do charges distribute equally on inner and outer surfaces of a spherical shell?

In summary, the distribution of charge on a spherical shell with a net charge of +4.0 micro coulombs is not equally distributed between the inner and outer surfaces. The amount of charge on each surface depends on the presence of other charges within the shell. If there are no other charges, all of the charge will be on the outer surface.
kd001
If a spherical shell has a net charge of say +4.0micro coulombs do I assume that this charge is equally distributed between the inner and outer surfaces of the shell (ie +2.0 micro coulombs on the inner surface and +2.0 micro coulombs on the outer surface)?

Thanks

*This is not homework. I'm trying to test my understanding.

Physics news on Phys.org
No- I can tell you this instantly by thinking about what would happen if you change the inner and outer radii of the shell- which you have unspecified- to extremes. If the inner radius is 0.1m and the outer one is 100m, does it make sense that half the charge is on the 4*pi area inner surface, and half is distributed on the 10,000*pi area outer surface? That certainly doesn't minimise repulsion!

I think the charge is stored on the outer edge- but I am not certain, some line of reasoning is telling me it is uniform but this doesn't seem very intuitive to me either.

kd001 said:
If a spherical shell has a net charge of say +4.0micro coulombs do I assume that this charge is equally distributed between the inner and outer surfaces of the shell (ie +2.0 micro coulombs on the inner surface and +2.0 micro coulombs on the outer surface)?
No. How the charge distributes itself depends upon whether there is charge contained within the shell. Consider Gauss's law with the gaussian surface through the material of the shell.

If there are no other charges, then all the charge will be on the outer surface.

Related to Do charges distribute equally on inner and outer surfaces of a spherical shell?

What is the charge on a spherical shell?

The charge on a spherical shell is the sum of all the charges contained within the shell. It can be positive, negative, or zero depending on the distribution of charges.

How is the charge on a spherical shell distributed?

The charge on a spherical shell is evenly distributed on the surface of the shell. This means that the electric field inside the shell is zero.

Can the charge on a spherical shell be negative?

Yes, the charge on a spherical shell can be negative if the distribution of charges within the shell is such that the sum of all the charges is negative.

What is the electric field inside a charged spherical shell?

The electric field inside a charged spherical shell is zero. This is because the charges on the shell cancel each other out, resulting in a net electric field of zero inside the shell.

How does the charge on a spherical shell affect the electric field outside the shell?

The charge on a spherical shell affects the electric field outside the shell through the inverse square law. The electric field decreases as the distance from the shell increases and is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charge on the shell.