Do colleges look at how many times you take the SAT?

• Testing
  • Thread starter AVReidy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sat
In summary, the conversation discusses the stress surrounding taking the SAT and its impact on college admissions, particularly at Ivy League schools like Harvard. It is unclear if Harvard and other schools consider the number of times the SAT is taken and if they superscore, but it is recommended to also take the ACT if possible.
AVReidy
Hey everyone, I'm a junior in high school and I have yet to take the SAT or even the PSAT. I want to clarify the one thing that makes it seem stressful to me. I remember reading that if applying to Harvard after taking the SAT more than twice, your chances of being accepted are severely lowered. I don't plan on applying there (of course), and I know that this isn't the case for most schools, but it's still stressful to picture only having two chances to do well on the SAT.

Is this really the case for Harvard or any other schools? I've also heard that some schools average your scores if you take it numerous times, but I'm not sure about the validity of this. So for certain schools, is it true that they look at the amount of times you take the SAT and the scores you receive on each?

Please clear this up for me, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe most schools look at the best score. I am not sure about schools like Harvard. However if you take it more than 3 times, it will seem odd in your application. Yes they will have access to both scores.

I haven't heard of many colleges that don't superscore these days-- I'm pretty sure even the Ivies do.
Pretty unrelated to your question but I'd also recommend taking the ACT when the time comes as well as the SAT if you happen to do better on it-- some people test better on one than the other.

What is the purpose of taking the SAT?

The SAT is a standardized test used by colleges and universities in the admissions process to assess a student's academic readiness for college.

Do colleges consider how many times a student takes the SAT?

It depends on the individual college's admissions policies. Some colleges may consider all of a student's SAT scores, while others may only consider the highest score.

Will taking the SAT multiple times improve my chances of getting into college?

Taking the SAT multiple times may improve your chances of admission if you are able to improve your score. However, it is important to note that colleges also consider other factors such as GPA, extracurricular activities, and essays.

Is there a limit to how many times a student can take the SAT?

There is no limit to how many times a student can take the SAT. However, it is important to note that taking the SAT too many times may reflect poorly on a student's application and could potentially harm their chances of admission.

Do colleges prefer to see consistent or improved SAT scores?

Again, this depends on the individual college's admissions policies. Some colleges may prefer to see consistent scores, while others may prefer to see an upward trend in scores as it demonstrates improvement and growth.