Do different length ramps violate conservation of energy?

In summary: Sorry, I am still not clear on this. Did the original problem ask about the final speed or the time taken?
Aperture
Homework Statement
Say you have 2 different lamps that start and end at the same heights. One ramp is steeper and longer than the other, while the second ramp is the shortest line from the top to the bottom. If you released two identical balls, one on each ramp, from rest, you would find that the ball on the steeper ramp has a greater final velocity. How is this possible if mgh=1/2m(v^2) and m, g, and h are the same for both cases?
Relevant Equations
mgh=(1/2)(m)(v^2)
mgh=(1/2)(m)(v^2)
gh=(1/2)v^2
sqrt(2gh)=v
Should have the same v, but this is not the case based on the answer and real-life experiments.

Physics news on Phys.org
When are you measuring the final velocity? At the end of the ramp, or once the ball is rolling horizontally after leaving the ramp?

Drakkith said:
When are you measuring the final velocity? At the end of the ramp, or once the ball is rolling horizontally after leaving the ramp?
end of the ramp, when h = 0 so only 1/2mv^2 remains.

Aperture said:
Homework Statement: Say you have 2 different lamps that start and end at the same heights. One ramp is steeper and longer than the other, while the second ramp is the shortest line from the top to the bottom. If you released two identical balls, one on each ramp, from rest, you would find that the ball on the steeper ramp has a greater final velocity. How is this possible if mgh=1/2m(v^2) and m, g, and h are the same for both cases?
Relevant Equations: mgh=(1/2)(m)(v^2)

mgh=(1/2)(m)(v^2)
gh=(1/2)v^2
sqrt(2gh)=v
Should have the same v, but this is not the case based on the answer and real-life experiments.
Can you show the two ramps in a drawing? I cannot imagine a ramp that is steeper and longer than the other if they start and end at the same heights.

Also, why do you say "If you released two identical balls, one on each ramp, from rest, you would find that the ball on the steeper ramp has a greater final velocity." Did you do an experiment?

On Edit: Here is a convincing demonstration that should clarify what's going on. Be sure to watch the video in its entirety.

Last edited:
Likes DrClaude, Aperture, Lnewqban and 1 other person
kuruman said:
why do you say "If you released two identical balls, one on each ramp, from rest, you would find that the ball on the steeper ramp has a greater final velocity."
The way I read post #1, the OP is there quoting the given answer. Indeed, the OP believes they should end with the same speed.
Of course, if the nonlinear path is always below the linear one then, ignoring losses, the ball will arrive sooner, though at the same speed.
If we take losses into account, but no slipping, then the straight line should produce the greatest final speed.
Edit: I need to check that; it's not as obvious as I thought.

If the gradient is gentle until a final descent too steep to maintain rolling then that may give the greatest final speed.

Last edited:
Yes, this involves a combination of rolling and slipping. I missed that this is a homework problem posed as an energy non-conservation paradox.

kuruman said:
Can you show the two ramps in a drawing? I cannot imagine a ramp that is steeper and longer than the other if they start and end at the same heights.

Also, why do you say "If you released two identical balls, one on each ramp, from rest, you would find that the ball on the steeper ramp has a greater final velocity." Did you do an experiment?

On Edit: Here is a convincing demonstration that should clarify what's going on. Be sure to watch the video in its entirety.

The video cleared things up. Thanks.

Likes Drakkith
Aperture said:
The video cleared things up. Thanks.
Well that's great, but can you please still clarify why you said this:
Aperture said:

Was it just a misunderstanding of some data or something? Thanks.

berkeman said:
Well that's great, but can you please still clarify why you said this:Was it just a misunderstanding of some data or something? Thanks.
Yes. I failed to consider that a faster total time does not mean a faster final speed.

Likes Drakkith
Aperture said:
Yes. I failed to consider that a faster total time does not mean a faster final speed.
Sorry, I am still not clear on this. Did the original problem ask about the final speed or the time taken?

haruspex said:
The way I read post #1, the OP is there quoting the given answer. Indeed, the OP believes they should end with the same speed.
Of course, if the nonlinear path is always below the linear one then, ignoring losses, the ball will arrive sooner, though at the same speed.
If we take losses into account, but no slipping, then the straight line should produce the greatest final speed.
Edit: I need to check that; it's not as obvious as I thought.

If the gradient is gentle until a final descent too steep to maintain rolling then that may give the greatest final speed.
Fwiw, I considered descending in two straight lines, first at angle ##\theta_1##, by ##h_1## vertically, then at ##\theta_2##, by ##h_2## vertically. Drag per unit mass is ##kv^2##.
I get a final speed given by ##\alpha_2v^2=1-e^{-2\alpha_2gh_2}(1-(\frac{\alpha_2}{\alpha_1})(1-e^{-2\alpha_1gh_1}))##, where ##h_1+h_2=Y##, ##h_1\cot(\theta_1)+h_2\cot(\theta_2)=X## and ##\alpha_i=k/(g\sin(\theta_i))##.
Maximisation wrt ##h_1, \theta_1## would be the next step, but I might not get to it.

An alternative, of course, is the full calculus of variations approach. Haven't tried it.

1. What is the conservation of energy?

The conservation of energy is a fundamental principle in physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another.

2. How does a ramp affect the conservation of energy?

A ramp is a simple machine that allows an object to be lifted to a higher height with less force. However, the use of a ramp does not violate the conservation of energy as the work done by the force applied is equal to the potential energy gained by the object.

3. Can a longer ramp violate the conservation of energy?

No, a longer ramp does not violate the conservation of energy as the work done by the force applied is still equal to the potential energy gained by the object. The length of the ramp only affects the amount of force needed to lift the object to a certain height.

4. Can a shorter ramp violate the conservation of energy?

No, a shorter ramp does not violate the conservation of energy as the work done by the force applied is still equal to the potential energy gained by the object. The length of the ramp only affects the amount of force needed to lift the object to a certain height.

5. Are there any situations where the conservation of energy may be violated with the use of ramps?

No, the conservation of energy is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated. However, in some cases, energy may appear to be lost due to factors such as friction or other forms of energy dissipation. This does not violate the conservation of energy, but it may affect the efficiency of the ramp.